Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That guy, no idea who he is, said they could spend some more if they trade Kimbrel. I honestly think that's a much bigger if than people realize though.

Pure guess on my end is they take the Kimbrel money and trade for Manaea and sign Joc or Rosario.  

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That guy, no idea who he is, said they could spend some more if they trade Kimbrel. I honestly think that's a much bigger if than people realize though.

The Sox exercising the Kimbrel option is absolutely baffling. So many were convinced he would be easy to flip. I never understood that...

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I have yet to hear a single person with any knowledge about the internal thinking of the team that believes they keep Kimbrel

And yet, for all these great offers they’re supposed to have, he’s still here.

8 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

This is just so gross.

Wow. ..they totally are locking down spending now.

This fucking POS organization blew your wad all on scrubs and 50 relievers and can't address your real needs and then in October they will act baffled as to why they get wrecked. Again. These people are scum. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I have yet to hear a single person with any knowledge about the internal thinking of the team that believes they keep Kimbrel

The problem with trading is it takes a partner and there's certainly some pride involved on Hahn's side. Any MLB player brought back's salary would hamper what they have to spend. Any MiLB player brought back might require a couple $'s. I guess we'll see. Hahn waiting on an injury in camp or something.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

And yet, for all these great offers they’re supposed to have, he’s still here.

Who knows, maybe there are three teams interested in Kenley and once he decides, the Sox can try to get the best deal possible?

Just now, fathom said:

Still not worried as long as Kenley is out there.  

The opposite still seems so true to me. How many teams are there who want a legit >$10 million reliever? The Phillies took a look at Kimbrel and Jansen and said “heck with this, Knebel and Familia are better for us than Kimbrel”. How many teams are left?

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The problem with trading is it takes a partner and there's certainly some pride involved on Hahn's side. Any MLB player brought back's salary would hamper what they have to spend. Any MiLB player brought back might require a couple $'s. I guess we'll see. Hahn waiting on an injury in camp or something.

Seems like it would be minor leaguers in any deal. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

The opposite still seems so true to me. How many teams are there who want a legit >$10 million reliever? The Phillies took a look at Kimbrel and Jansen and said “heck with this, Knebel and Familia are better for us than Kimbrel”. How many teams are left?

Dodgers, Mariners, Cardinals, Cubs, possibly Mets (rumors they were after Hader), Padres and more

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You know, it’s kinda both. They had to go buy both utility guys and an entire bullpen because they’ve basically failed to develop both, and they traded away guys who could fill important roles, so they’re overpaying for both trying to bring them up to good enough. 

There are dozens of these guys who are available for a minor league deal every year. And Danny Mendick and Romy are completely fine as bench players, if you get a guy that can and should reasonably start 140 games. It is literally the worst strategy to spend money on bench players when you don’t even have enough every day players-

Edited by GermanSoxFan

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Pure guess on my end is they take the Kimbrel money and trade for Manaea and sign Joc or Rosario.  

I don't even want Manaea. I hate acquiring A's pitchers. That ballpark is a pitchers heaven and those guys leave there and weird things happen. I wouldn't hate the move if it wasn't for much, but it just doesn't move the needle for me. Joc/Rosario would be god awful.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Seems like it would be minor leaguers in any deal. 

Honestly, makes even less sense to me then. They traded two MLB assets to acquire Kimbrel to go all-in. Now they're going to turn around and trade Kimbrel, while they're "all-in" for assets that don't even help the MLB ball club? 

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

We're all talking about holes too.

If the White Sox force Vaughn/Engel to play right field, that means the DH is Sheets. I know Sox fans like Sheets, he looked solid last year, but he is far from a for sure producer.

The Sox honestly have a hole at DH, RF and 2B. I think Vaughn can be productive and fill one slot, but there's no guarantee there either. It's very possible the Sox have three holes in their lineup and a hole in the rotation.

Exactly, all this Sheets/Vaughn RF combo ignores the the fact that right now both of them are needed in the starting lineup.  I get wanting to give young players a chance, but going into opening day with a 7-8-9 of Vaughn-Sheets-Harrison along with 2/5 of our rotation built around Keuchel & Kopech is incredibly risky.  I pray Hahn isn’t this incompetent and that more moves are being negotiated as we speak.

I don't care what people think, the Sox can totally be had in the division if one of the other teams gets a few breaks their way. 

They'll make the playoffs though, and lose. 

Shields..I mean Keuchel belongs nowhere near the rotation. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Exactly, all this Sheets/Vaughn RF combo ignores the the fact that right now both of them are needed in the starting lineup.  I get wanting to give young players a chance, but going into opening day with a 7-8-9 of Vaughn-Sheets-Harrison along with 2/5 of our rotation built around Keuchel & Kopech is incredibly risky.  I pray Hahn isn’t this incompetent and that more moves are being negotiated as we speak.

Yeah, I think people have really undersold the fact that the Sox don't have a DH. All this talk about Vaughn/Sheets in RF potentially being a "hole." Well, if we don't sign anyone they're both starting everyday. If Gavin Sheets was bad, would that honestly be that surprising? If he's bad, does that mean it's Harrison/Leury/Engel between 2B and RF while Vaughn DH's? That's how it's set up right now. Just horribly mismanaged. 

• Like 2

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I think people have really undersold the fact that the Sox don't have a DH. All this talk about Vaughn/Sheets in RF potentially being a "hole." Well, if we don't sign anyone they're both starting everyday. If Gavin Sheets was bad, would that honestly be that surprising? If he's bad, does that mean it's Harrison/Leury/Engel between 2B and RF while Vaughn DH's? That's how it's set up right now. Just horribly mismanaged. 

This is my one overly negative comment for the night....it’s shocking how poorly this roster has been handled since the day before last year’s trade deadline. You would have to try hard to mess up as much as they have.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1