Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What has this guy gotten right in the past?  Dude only has a 100 followers, which is less than notoriously fake insiders.

I’ve recognized that name in the past responding to local media members about Sox related things, and he was accurate.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Something that has jumped out to me is the lack of any recent contracts for more than the next two seasons.  Maybe I’m wrong but only Yoan, Eloy, Robert, Kopech and Cease are locked up for 2024.  Decisions coming up on Timmy, Abreu, Giolito, Grandal, Hendriks, etc

With no real young talent in the wings, which is why this is so maddening. They've got two years to get this done. 

Just now, Tony said:

Most teams have a lot of them. It's not just a condition of the White Sox. 

They still have a very good roster, which this FO is responsible for.

I have to give all the credit you want for the rebuild trades. Very well executed. Practically every key player on the roster save Anderson and a couple big money FAs came out of there.

But the moment they switched and started adding big leaguers, they just started flailing.

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Most teams have a lot of them. It's not just a condition of the White Sox. 

They still have a very good roster, which this FO is responsible for.

It’s why it’s an odd feeling for me because I want them to sign Conforto but I’m fairly confident it will end up being an awful deal for the Sox in the long run.  I’d rather they do a 2/65 type deal for Bryant but that will never happen.

8 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

And I could not disagree with this more.  He’d just destroy the IL and facing inferior pitching is going to do nothing for his development.  

Eloy's injury rushed Vaughn's advent into MLB. Vaughn's only significant experience against quality pitching came in college. *College*
On a contender, with solid depth, we'd all be looking with bated breath at Vaughn's upcoming rookie year in 2022.
Vaughn needs something like 300-400 PA against AAA level pitching, with a majority of that against RHP. That, not to mention a full slate of reps at 1B and LF.
Win Now anxiety might just very well sabotage this whole operation.

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

It shouldn't have been...but Madrigal for Kimbrel has seemingly been the point in time where things went sideways, and thus far they have let it spin out of control. 

There is still time to course-correct, but I just don't understand the decision-making the last 8 months....especially from a FO that actually put together a really impressive group of players. 

When the Sox made the Kimbrel trade, I assumed that meant they had the resources to replace Madrigal & Heuer in the offseason while still making big improvements to the rest of the roster.  Obviously the payroll has gone up a ton, but Hahn has definitely been far less aggressive with his moves so far.  Still time to correct that, but it’s hard to remain optimistic when we’ve spent close to $30M to more or less maintain the status quo and have not yet seen one “fuck it, we’re going for it” type move.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I have to give all the credit you want for the rebuild trades. Very well executed. Practically every key player on the roster save Anderson and a couple big money FAs came out of there.

But the moment they switched and started adding big leaguers, they just started flailing.

Lance Lynn would like to have a word. 

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Something that has jumped out to me is the lack of any recent contracts for more than the next two seasons.  Maybe I’m wrong but only Yoan, Eloy, Robert, Kopech and Cease are locked up for 2024.  Decisions coming up on Timmy, Abreu, Giolito, Grandal, Hendriks, etc

Leury & Gravemen signed three year deals.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

When the Sox made the Kimbrel trade, I assumed that meant they had the resources to replace Madrigal & Heuer in the offseason while still making big improvements to the rest of the roster.  Obviously the payroll has gone up a ton, but Hahn has definitely been far less aggressive with his moves so far.  Still time to correct that, but it’s hard to remain optimistic when we’ve spent close to $30M to more or less maintain the status quo and have not yet seen one “fuck it, we’re going for it” type move.

All the while paying NO attention to the farm system, and letting it once again become a wasteland devoid of any talent. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

What player was traded for him?

You said the moment they "started adding big leaguers" 

Dane Dunning was traded for an MLB vet. I would say that qualifies. 

I'm also not going to split hairs with you, but your comment was incorrect. 

Also, Grandal. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

You said the moment they "started adding big leaguers" 

Dane Dunning was traded for an MLB vet. I would say that qualifies. 

I'm also not going to split hairs with you, but your comment was incorrect. 

Also, Grandal. 

Yes, Grandal. See the part where I said “and a couple big FAs”? Literally exactly who I meant. You can add Hendriks as well.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Yes, Grandal. See the part where I said “and a couple big FAs”? You can add Hendriks as well.

I have no idea what you are referring to then, and I don't think anyone else does. 

The 2019 additions:
Yonder Alonso
Jon Jay
Kelvin Herrera 
Wellington Castillo
Hector Santiago
James McCann (great)
Alex Colome (expensive in both money and talent, but not bad)

That was a cost of over $50 million and a loss of Narvaez. 

Lynn, Grandal, McCann were very solid.  (One can argue Narvaez/McCann/Grandal til the cows come home)

Hendriks, jury still out.

Kimbrel, it's always going to be a net loss at this point, same with Keuchel.

Robert was the one franchise-altering coin toss that went Paddy and KW's way, fortunately.  Without him, we're under real duress in the AL Central starting in 2023.

So we're splitting hairs about after 2023...can they find the pitching to replace Giolito.  Then the really big decision with TA7 at age 32/33  a year later.