Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Devoting way too many resources to the bullpen again? What a shocker that would be

The bullpen is one thing, but 11 million dollars to utility guys is the back breaker here. 

Better to just go into the off-season knowing this team doesn't spend at that end of the market. The Sox set the market at 30+ year old catchers and closers... and utility infielders. When it comes to big time everyday contributors, that's out of their range.

The Sox are so unoften involved at that sect of the market that when they do get there (Wheeler) they make sure everyone in baseball knows what they offered lol. 

Paying 29 million dollars to a set up man and a closer is just.... so White Sox. The MONEY was spent. 

• Like 2

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The bullpen is one thing, but 11 million dollars to utility guys is the back breaker here. 

Better to just go into the off-season knowing this team doesn't spend at that end of the market. The Sox set the market at 30+ year old catchers and closers... and utility infielders. When it comes to big time everyday contributors, that's out of their range.

The Sox are so unoften involved at that sect of the market that when they do get there (Wheeler) they make sure everyone in baseball knows what they offered lol. 

Paying 29 million dollars to a set up man and a closer is just.... so White Sox. The MONEY was spent. 

You know, it’s kinda both. They had to go buy both utility guys and an entire bullpen because they’ve basically failed to develop both, and they traded away guys who could fill important roles, so they’re overpaying for both trying to bring them up to good enough. 

We're all talking about holes too.

If the White Sox force Vaughn/Engel to play right field, that means the DH is Sheets. I know Sox fans like Sheets, he looked solid last year, but he is far from a for sure producer.

The Sox honestly have a hole at DH, RF and 2B. I think Vaughn can be productive and fill one slot, but there's no guarantee there either. It's very possible the Sox have three holes in their lineup and a hole in the rotation.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

You know, it’s kinda both. They had to go buy both utility guys and an entire bullpen because they’ve basically failed to develop both, and they traded away guys who could fill important roles, so they’re overpaying for both trying to bring them up to good enough. 

I saw Chris Martin signed for 2.5 million with the Cubs. I just had to laugh. The Sox gave Vince Velasquez 3 million. Martin very likely to be about as productive as Joe Kelly. The Sox just have no idea how to value MLB players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That guy, no idea who he is, said they could spend some more if they trade Kimbrel. I honestly think that's a much bigger if than people realize though.

I have yet to hear a single person with any knowledge about the internal thinking of the team that believes they keep Kimbrel