Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

48 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I hate all these good teams trying to make their team even better. The audacity. 

Many of these teams didn't have a core already in place as we had. 

I think many of you guys are just to blind to see that a lot of the legwork to construct a championship caliber roster was already done by the Sox front office the last 5 years. 

Let's appreciate what we have here. 

Yes, I want to the Sox to break right through the Tax Line and go for it all.   But I'm also not going to sit here pissing and shitting in my pants for not making big moves. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I think many of you guys are just to blind to see that a lot of the legwork to construct a championship caliber roster was already done by the Sox front office the last 5 years. 

Yes, I want to the Sox to break right through the Tax Line and go for it all.   But I'm also not going to sit here pissing and shitting in my pants for not making big moves. 

That's why it's even more frustrating imo. The hard work is done, the no brainer work is signing a 3 WAR RF and calling it an offseason. It's like you've got a beautiful new car but because you don't want to wash the road salt off it once a week at the $12 wash place the undercarriage is already rusting. Penny smart pound foolish.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I appreciate your point of view and am not blind to the fact that we have a good team. I’d really like the BEST team possible and believe with certain additions we could of. Our track record the past few years against over .500 teams speaks for itself and the quick exits in the playoffs. We have a really good core and can beat up on our weak ass division, but we need some moves to get us over that next step which I don’t believe this front office has made, they seem content with just getting to the playoffs and hoping to get hot. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I appreciate your point of view and am not blind to the fact that we have a good team. I’d really like the BEST team possible and believe with certain additions we could of. Our track record the past few years against over .500 teams speaks for itself and the quick exits in the playoffs. We have a really good core and can beat up on our weak ass division, but we need some moves to get us over that next step which I don’t believe this front office has made, they seem content with just getting to the playoffs and hoping to get hot. 

Exactly like the Twins…look where that same philosophy has gotten them.  They can’t even beat the Yankees once, who are not exactly the dominant mid to late 90’s and 00’s versions exactly.

Cleveland in 2016 was the last really really good Central team.

Just now, Buehrle>Wood said:

Visiting players can play even the unvaccinated. New Yorks vaccine mandate is so dumb it hurts. 

Just get rid of it at this point. Covid ripped through the US, at this point 85% of people either have recent antibodies or the vax and boosters. Even Seattle ended it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

While frustrating on several levels, I'd still sign him since the Sox would only lose him and Graveman for one series.

For a dude that suffered from long covid...Conforto can go fuck himself.  This news is all I needed to know that hopefully he signs elsewhere. Graveman is on my crap list also.
If you are a professional athlete that travels and puts all staff of stadiums, hotels, restaurants and any other travel related staff (and families) at risk is the type of person that I can't cheer for on a championship team (and yes, I know that omicron and current situation is not a big deal now)

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unvaccinated players aren't allowed to enter or play in Canada. Since the NYC vaccinate mandate came up, I figured that would be worth mentioning in case anyone wasn't aware of that.

Whether or not the mandate will still be in place when the Sox visit there this year or in a hypothetical October playoff series, who knows.

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

Doesn't sound like the Yankees have discussed an extension with Judge at all. He's 1 year from free agency. If there is uncertainty with how many games he'll play this season, I wonder if trading him becomes a consideration if he won't get vaxxed.

I will be honest, I wouldn't throw nine figures at Judge or Stanton.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Given the extensive injury histories, both of their bodies seem like ticking time bombs. I don't blame you.

But for any team with farm system depth, I think trading for 1 year of Judge would be a great move.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

A quick look at his B-R page and he's been way more consistent than I thought before looking. 

WAR: 
2017: 8
2018: 5.9
2019: 5.6
2020: 1.2
2021: 6

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

A quick look at his B-R page and he's been way more consistent than I thought before looking. 

WAR: 
2017: 8
2018: 5.9
2019: 5.6
2020: 1.2
2021: 6

He's Ruth at NYS. He's merely mortal on the road. Of course he'd have a similar advantage out to LF in Chicago.

28 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That's why it's even more frustrating imo. The hard work is done, the no brainer work is signing a 3 WAR RF and calling it an offseason. It's like you've got a beautiful new car but because you don't want to wash the road salt off it once a week at the $12 wash place the undercarriage is already rusting. Penny smart pound foolish.

My two concerns with "trying to go all in" as some of you guys want:

a) we make another stupid short sighted trade.   I don't want to give up an Andrew Vaughn for a one year pitcher rental.   

b) we finally break the bank on a mega deal for say Conforto (who so many of you guys love for some odd reason) and he becomes our Jason Heyward. 

Here's what I do want the Sox to do the minute they decide to stay away from the remaining Free Agent Market...... Announce long term deals for Giolito and TA.   

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

For a dude that suffered from long covid...Conforto can go fuck himself.  This news is all I needed to know that hopefully he signs elsewhere. Graveman is on my crap list also.
If you are a professional athlete that travels and puts all staff of stadiums, hotels, restaurants and any other travel related staff (and families) at risk is the type of person that I can't cheer for on a championship team (and yes, I know that omicron and current situation is not a big deal now)

Would love for the Sox to add Conforto! 

• Like 1