Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

29 minutes ago, Big Hurtin said:

Anyone else see the top 10 right now on MLB Network for 1B?  One of the guys on there didn't have Abreu, but did put Darin Ruf 🤦‍♂️.  (also had Belt on his list)

I like those shows just for entertainment, but when the stat nerd segment comes on, I fast forward right through it. 

1 hour ago, HOFHurt35 said:

My two concerns with "trying to go all in" as some of you guys want:

a) we make another stupid short sighted trade.   I don't want to give up an Andrew Vaughn for a one year pitcher rental.   

b) we finally break the bank on a mega deal for say Conforto (who so many of you guys love for some odd reason) and he becomes our Jason Heyward. 

Here's what I do want the Sox to do the minute they decide to stay away from the remaining Free Agent Market...... Announce long term deals for Giolito and TA.   

I think this is such a good point.  I don't want to do a couple of years of greatness...I want the White Sox to extend their window as long as possible and as sad as it may be for some...money matters.   We are top five payroll, near $200 million right now.   Giving 4/$80 for Conforto or Castellanos is financially risky.  Over time you have to balance the higher paid old guys with the young cheap guys and the old meh guys.  The $20 million you pay this year for Conforto is fine...but it ties your hands for 23,24 and 25.   As I watch Hahn I think that is what he is doing.  I don't want to see the team unable to sign Gio long term in 2024, or TA in 2025 because we are weighted down by the Conforto contract.   Especially because I don't think Conforto will be materially better in RF (fWar) than the Hydra...but will cost $15 million more a year.   Plus the Hydra gets valuable experience and AB's.  Because they have been prudent with contracts when the trade deadline comes they can swoop in and make a big move from a floundering team.  

As for the stupid bullpen spending (by most on here) last year five of the six teams teams with the best bullpens (by fWar) went to the playoffs and Seattle won 90 games but didn't go. Last year the White Sox were #2 in relief fWar...and you had Matt Foster, Evan Marshall and Ryan Burr pitch in a 100 games with a FIP around 5.  You replace those innings with Graveman, Kimbrel and Kelly and you can't get excited by that??  We have a seriously stacked bullpen...and yes maybe one or two will go down...but man Bummer should be better, Kimbrel better, Crochet better...and percolating arms in the minors.              

• Like 1

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

McHugh signs with Atlanta for 2 yr/$10M. I had him in my offseason plan for 2 yrs/$12M. 

I think that's a far better value than Joe Kelly at 2 yrs/$17M. 😩

McHugh can pitch multiple innings too. I prefer him over Kelly too.

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

McHugh signs with Atlanta for 2 yr/$10M. I had him in my offseason plan for 2 yrs/$12M. 

I think that's a far better value than Joe Kelly at 2 yrs/$17M. 😩

Yeah I like Kelly but sure seems like an overpay

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

my thoughts on Kelly too.  What're your thoughts on what our plan is for RF?  

Sheets and Engel platoon, Vaughn is primary DH and plays some 1B and LF (and I know this wasn’t asked to me)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I think this is such a good point.  I don't want to do a couple of years of greatness...I want the White Sox to extend their window as long as possible and as sad as it may be for some...money matters.   We are top five payroll, near $200 million right now.   Giving 4/$80 for Conforto or Castellanos is financially risky.  Over time you have to balance the higher paid old guys with the young cheap guys and the old meh guys.  The $20 million you pay this year for Conforto is fine...but it ties your hands for 23,24 and 25.   As I watch Hahn I think that is what he is doing.  I don't want to see the team unable to sign Gio long term in 2024, or TA in 2025 because we are weighted down by the Conforto contract.   Especially because I don't think Conforto will be materially better in RF (fWar) than the Hydra...but will cost $15 million more a year.   Plus the Hydra gets valuable experience and AB's.  Because they have been prudent with contracts when the trade deadline comes they can swoop in and make a big move from a floundering team.  

As for the stupid bullpen spending (by most on here) last year five of the six teams teams with the best bullpens (by fWar) went to the playoffs and Seattle won 90 games but didn't go. Last year the White Sox were #2 in relief fWar...and you had Matt Foster, Evan Marshall and Ryan Burr pitch in a 100 games with a FIP around 5.  You replace those innings with Graveman, Kimbrel and Kelly and you can't get excited by that??  We have a seriously stacked bullpen...and yes maybe one or two will go down...but man Bummer should be better, Kimbrel better, Crochet better...and percolating arms in the minors.              

That’s ONE way to put it…

23 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

We drafted Vaughn for his bat. Little did we know about his ability to play at any position...

The guy played a hell of an OF last year for someone who never played out there. 

With some seasoning, I see no reason why he can't develop into a formidable everyday defensive OF.   

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That’s ONE way to put it…

They are fifth in payroll (a figure I've been predicting for a year).   They have LOTS of good players and not a single bad contract.   As some players get more expensive, some (Keuchel, Kimbrel, Jose) drop off.  That's really smart and allows you to keep your window going.   If Colas or Cespedes are your RF next year (a suggestion I have been called an idiot for suggesting) will cost you nothing.  You can't pay everyone (well the Dodgers can) which means you have to make smart choices as you go.   Not spending a fortune in RF this year might be one of them.   It's not sexy to be prudent but a long term winning team is very sexy.   

5 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

The guy played a hell of an OF last year for someone who never played out there. 

With some seasoning, I see no reason why he can't develop into a formidable everyday defensive OF.   

Well he IS slow.   I agree with you that last year he was way better than I thought he was going to be.  I think even...competent?  I think he gets better as he figures out angles and positioning.  But he's never going to be fast enough to be "good".  Still...Castellanos, Conforto, Schwarber?  None of those guys was a good defensive outfielder.   If that's all we want...why can't Engel be that guy?  And all those guys that will say "he can't stay healthy" are the same guys crying that Madrigal isn't with the team.   I don't mind a plan where they throw creativity at the problem and not just money...because you will NEED that money eventually.  

• Like 1

Would you rather have:

Leury $5.5M

Harrison $5.5M

Velasquez $3M

Kelly $8.5M

or

McHugh $5M

Escobar $10M

Matz $11M (whichever lefty that was out there)

I am just beating a dead horse at this point, but we HAD the money to improve the roster but are failing miserably.

• Like 1