Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

44 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They set the market on Grandal, Wheeler and Hendriks. Boras is a different beast though. 

This is exactly what I've been saying. It's possible that Hahn tried to lock up Conforto the same way that he locked up Grandal early, but that Conforto isn't biting because of Boras. The good news is that we have other options if we don't land Conforto (Castellanos, Schwarber, etc.), so if the market isn't great for those guys, Hahn's plan to not increase the offer at this point might not be such a bad idea.

This obviously all depends on whether we are trying to land one of those guys in the first place. 

2 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

The majority of what I do when I come to this board, especially during the offseason is scroll for tweet updates haha. Usually filter out the rest, but will from time to time respond to other comments (like this). Definitely my primary source for baseball news.

Exactly, I don’t even bother using Twitter for baseball news since the people on this board are outstanding at keeping people up to date. I don’t post that much and enjoy when there is healthy debate, which doesn’t always happen. It’s also a great place for other news like on the NFL as well. And I have followed more writers and outlets because of the people posting.

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right!?  Tweets are usually what I am scrolling for, not over.  The rest is just primarily the same 4-5 negative nancies telling us all why we should be extremely pessimistic about all things White Sox related.  

Yeah, I think we all know who likes to debate with who, who gets crapped on and that there are negative nancies…even if there is some validity to bitching about the team’s roster, executives and ownership.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You can't be serious:

Rick Hahn more or less said White Sox are done adding to 2B mix with Harrison. Mentioned Jake Burger among their 2B depth. Acknowledged that you can essentially never rule out Andrew Vaughn playing anywhere. LF and 3B sound like other spots for Harrison to see time

Why is it imperative that Vaughn be that outfielder or infielder? Isn’t he more valuable in a trade? Lol Jake Burger shouldn’t be a second baseman. He’s a blocked third baseman even if he’s in shape.

9 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

This is exactly what I've been saying. It's possible that Hahn tried to lock up Conforto the same way that he locked up Grandal early, but that Conforto isn't biting because of Boras. The good news is that we have other options if we don't land Conforto (Castellanos, Schwarber, etc.), so if the market isn't great for those guys, Hahn's plan to not increase the offer at this point might not be such a bad idea.

This obviously all depends on whether we are trying to land one of those guys in the first place. 

Grandal got a contract that was basically right in line with what was expected. There's virtually no chance in my eyes that the White Sox went to Boras with a 5/$100 million deal in November and got nothing done. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Grandal got a contract that was basically right in line with what was expected. There's virtually no chance in my eyes that the White Sox went to Boras with a 5/$100 million deal in November and got nothing done. 

Agreed. But we might have gone with a 4/$80M and no other teams want to go 4 or 5 years with him coming off a down year.

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Agreed. But we might have gone with a 4/$80M and no other teams want to go 4 or 5 years with him coming off a down year.

If the White Sox started with that and were serious, they likely could have gotten something done. If they started with 4/$80 it would have at least gotten the ball rolling, Boras would have done what he did with all his other clients - put calls in to say that there's a good chance he'll sign, see how much interest there is, then come back to the White Sox with a number to see if the White Sox start moving to an acceptable middle ground. 

(Passan spelled this all out in an article just after the start of the pandemic by the way, that's basically how it went with all of them - early offers to show that they were interested, a reply from Boras, and then when they were ready to get a real deal done they added the last year or increased the money a little bit to finish it off).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think the issue may be more with opt outs. Conforto was in line for a 150m deal before he had a bad year. Boras wants to preserve the ability to get out of a cheaper deal if he bounces back. I dont think we will agree to that unless we get an opt out too and Boras won't agree to that.

• Like 1

Just now, SoCalChiSox said:

I think the issue may be more with opt outs. Conforto was in line for a 150m deal before he had a bad year. Boras wants to preserve the ability to get out of a cheaper deal if he bounces back. I dont think we will agree to that unless we get an opt out too and Boras won't agree to that.

I would say that the White Sox should absolutely be offering a contract that has an opt-out clause in it, but if they were refusing to - then they need to offer a higher guarantee if they're actually serious. 

We saw these deals just get hammered out one after another in November because everyone wanted to get it done. Now we're back into that "teams aren't bidding at the level these guys are actually going to get" level, and things are holding again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

What's wrong with giving Conforto an opt out? Unless you consider him to be the long term answer for RF, an opt out should be acceptable. Why not give him 4 years, with an opt out, after 2 years? Colas takes over in 2024. 

38 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Harrison isn't a competent starter by any means.

Last year he played 800 innings of league average 2B, put up a better offensive WAR and OPS than your precious Michael Conforto and costs nothing.  If he sucks, deal for a 2B before the deadline.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

What's wrong with giving Conforto an opt out? Unless you consider him to be the long term answer for RF, an opt out should be acceptable. Why not give him 4 years, with an opt out, after 2 years? Colas takes over in 2024. 

Takes away any upside value on the contract but frankly if the Sox' scouting is confident he'll perform, just give it to him, who cares about two years from now if he's a FA.

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

even let him opt out of the first year who cares. The sox will try to keep their core moving forward and some of these guys will need to go in a couple of years anyway if you want moncada, anderson , giolito, cease , robert , vaughn, eloy longer term although with cease I think he is already telling everyone he is going to free agency with the hiring of boras. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, quickman said:

even let him opt out of the first year who cares. The sox will try to keep their core moving forward and some of these guys will need to go in a couple of years anyway if you want moncada, anderson , giolito, cease , robert , vaughn, eloy longer term although with cease I think he is already telling everyone he is going to free agency with the hiring of boras. 

If the Sox really believe in Colas, an opt-out for Conforto is beneficial to both parties.