Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Sox have 6 proven big league hitters in their lineup, and three complete question marks. I don't need them to be the Dodgers, but they could certainly try to be Toronto? And before you say the Sox have a higher payroll than Toronto; 1, I think Toronto makes another splash to get close; 2, toronto doesn't have 30 million tied up in two relievers. 

Or the Mariners.  Or the Braves.  Or the Brewers.  Or the Padres.

I would never in a million years expect to be a consistently Top 5 payroll team, and we still might not end up being one on Opening Day if they manage to get Kimbrel off the roster.

The arguments for being up against the CBT (with Kimbrel rostered) are giving Hahn some pretty decent cover for not actively going after either Conforto or Suzuki.

Edited by caulfield12

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Not every team has injuries to 3 starting position players where they each miss at least 3months. And the team still makes the playoffs.

When you count how much time they had spent on the IL, the white Sox were actually generally healthy. In fact, only 5 teams had fewer days spent on the IL.

The white Sox did specifically get hit with guys like Robert and Eloy on the IL, who had high projected WAR coming into the year - but since they missed so much of the year, that calculation is relying entirely on the projections to figure out what they lost. Was Robert going to flip the switch on if he didn’t have the time off? Was Eloy going to struggle the whole year?

Either way, the White Sox were “healthier than average” last year, which should be somewhat worrisome.

• Fire 1

On 3/10/2022 at 12:57 PM, Jack Parkman said:

If they do Joc it means that they think Colas is close to MLB ready, IMO. 

I have seen some articles where they appear to be legit giddy about him. There's prolly some fluff in there but we dont even see some fluff about Cespedes. I think he starts in High A but he could move fast if his power translates into games. 

In their eyes, a one year Joc/Rosario thing is a win/win. It preserves flexibility for the potential for Colas to be ready and it's cheap. 

I think the odds of Joc/Rosario is probably significantly greater than 50% at this point. They misallocated resources, and are seemingly unable to dump bad contracts on others so they are stuck. 

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Not every team has injuries to 3 starting position players where they each miss at least 3months. And the team still makes the playoffs.

While the projection data was not perfect for Eloy and Robert, there were a couple analysis done on value lost to injuries last year and the Sox weren't even in the top 15 in baseball.

6 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I loved the Vaughn pick, and the thought of trading him away makes me sick to my stomach. But I think there's a rational argument to be made that the best thing for his development would be playing every day in Charlotte and not having to face a level of pitching he might not be ready to have success against yet.

And I could not disagree with this more.  He’d just destroy the IL and facing inferior pitching is going to do nothing for his development.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

While the projection data was not perfect for Eloy and Robert, there were a couple analysis done on value lost to injuries last year and the Sox weren't even in the top 15 in baseball.

The one I posted shows them losing a lot of value, but fewer games overall. So how much value they lost depends a lot on the metric…but you wouldn’t be at all surprised to have the white Sox use the IL more this year than last.

1 minute ago, Rowand44 said:

And I could not disagree with this more.  He’d just destroy the IL and facing inferior pitching is going to do nothing for his development.  

Vaughn needs to see tough big league righties with hard sliders. That's his achilles heel and that's what he has to learn to hit and lay off. He's not going to do that in AAA.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I'm just not on board with Sheets taking away big league at bats from Vaughn. I just see no world where Sheets is more important to this teams future than Vaughn. I could be wrong, but I think the Sox caught lightening in a bottle with Sheets last year and expecting him to be a productive MLB DH is just too much imo. Vaughn ceiling as an offensive player is just so much higher, and wasting MLB at-bats on Sheets everyday instead of Vaughn would be a mistake imo.

My concern with Lynn is he's a pantload and he doesn't believe in conditioning and he's 35 years old.

I’m not saying Sheets is more important than Vaughn.  Andrew is going to be a star eventually.  But Tony is going to give Sheets, Leury, & Engel a decent amount of playing time and Vaughn is going to get squeezed at times.  Personally, I’d rather get consistent at-bats for a month in AAA then be used sparingly at the major league level.  Just feels like it could speed up his development.  And if you want try insane ideas like having him play 2B, well better in Charlotte than in Chicago.  Plus the extra year of control would he nice to gain back.

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

If this team really is done spending, they are straight up lying con-men.

They aren’t done. Relax. Northwest Bob is just giving his opinion and doesn’t know for sure. It really all depends on if they can move Kimbrel. If they move him than that’s frees up more money, if they don’t than that limits what they can spend on but it doesn’t mean they are done.

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

They aren’t done. Relax. Northwest Bob is just giving his opinion and doesn’t know for sure. It really all depends on if they can move Kimbrel. If they move him than that’s frees up more money, if they don’t than that limits what they can spend on but it doesn’t mean they are done.

Bob has been accurate in the past when he discussed their plans

29 minutes ago, fathom said:

This is my one overly negative comment for the night....it’s shocking how poorly this roster has been handled since the day before last year’s trade deadline. You would have to try hard to mess up as much as they have.

It shouldn't have been...but Madrigal for Kimbrel has seemingly been the point in time where things went sideways, and thus far they have let it spin out of control. 

There is still time to course-correct, but I just don't understand the decision-making the last 8 months....especially from a FO that actually put together a really impressive group of players. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

It shouldn't have been...but Madrigal for Kimbrel has seemingly been the point in time where things went sideways, and thus far they have let it spin out of control. 

There is still time to course-correct, but I just don't understand the decision-making the last 8 months....especially from a FO that actually put together a really impressive group of players. 

Agreed. It’s been really tough to understand what exactly they’re trying to accomplish. 

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

If you go back to the 2019 offseason when they started adding players, how many moves starting then would be equal head scratchers? They’ve absolutely had some successes, but it’s like walking through a minefield.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Agreed. It’s been really tough to understand what exactly they’re trying to accomplish. 

Something that has jumped out to me is the lack of any recent contracts for more than the next two seasons.  Maybe I’m wrong but only Yoan, Eloy, Robert, Kopech and Cease are locked up for 2024.  Decisions coming up on Timmy, Abreu, Giolito, Grandal, Hendriks, etc

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If you go back to the 2019 offseason when they started adding players, how many moves starting then would be equal head scratchers? They’ve absolutely had some successes, but it’s like walking through a minefield.

Most teams have a lot of them. It's not just a condition of the White Sox. 

They still have a very good roster, which this FO is responsible for.

Just now, fathom said:

Something that has jumped out to me is the lack of any recent contracts for more than the next two seasons.  Maybe I’m wrong but only Yoan, Eloy, Robert, Kopech and Cease are locked up for 2024.  Decisions coming up on Timmy, Abreu, Giolito, Grandal, Hendriks, etc

Yeah I mean that’s still 2 long years away for most of those guys.  3 for TA. Pito is going nowhere, which is fine so long as they don’t overpay.