Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

Just now, chw42 said:

Kikuchi rejected a $13 million player option. He's probably looking for more than that in a contract. If the Sox weren't willing to pay Rodon $18 million a year, I'm not sure why they'd want a lesser pitcher for $5 million less. 

I don’t think it can be more obvious they’re trying to trade for a pitcher 

5 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Carlos is seriously one of the biggest wild cards in baseball next year.  I can’t understand getting that angry over him right now.  

Agreed...Carlos will make the Giants look like geniuses or idiots.  I of course will trust the FO to know his situation better than the other 29 clubs.

Just now, chw42 said:

Kikuchi rejected a $13 million player option. He's probably looking for more than that in a contract. If the Sox weren't willing to pay Rodon $18 million a year, I'm not sure why they'd want a lesser pitcher for $5 million less. 

He can take a lesser AAV but multi-year deal.

8 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Carlos is seriously one of the biggest wild cards in baseball next year.  I can’t understand getting that angry over him right now.  

That won't stop some from pounding their feet on the floor until someone gives them the attention they want. 

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm not angry the Sox didn't re-sign Carlos, although I fully expect him to be completely dominant in San Fran who maximizes pitchers better than maybe any organization in the game right now. If Carlos stays healthy and throws 180 innings, he finishes top 3 in the NL Cy Young race.

I'm angry that the Sox didn't realize that Carlos Rodon was clearly worth more than 1 year 18 million and would NOT accept a QO under any circumstances. It's just inexcusable to be that out of touch with how the rest of the league values players.

Agreed with all of this. Not mad they didn't re-sign him but I said from off-season day 1 he should have been offered the QO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Kikuchi declining that was absolutely asinine. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

That won't stop some from pounding their feet on the floor until someone gives them the attention they want. 

I’m convinced the meltdown on here if they don’t get Conforto will rival the Manny one just due to pent-up frustration 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I don’t think it can be more obvious they’re trying to trade for a pitcher 

Why pay for the cow when you can get another cow for free by giving away some of your calves, but be careful none of them are bulls....never mind you don't get milk from bulls.....I'll have to circle back to this later.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If they thought he was worth that, they would have offered him the 1/18.

Maybe...none of us has the info that the FO was working with.  I can understand liking a player for some amount but not at a few million higher.  That is what the FO did last year only with smaller dollars.

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Kikuchi declining that was absolutely asinine. 

Yeah that made no sense to me. He probably won't get more than that on the market. He really wore down in the 2nd half after an all-star first half. When he faced the Sox, his stuff was pretty impressive. But like Rodon, I think his velocity took a dive in the 2nd half. Carlos didn't get bombed with lesser stuff, but Kikuchi did. 

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m convinced the meltdown on here if they don’t get Conforto will rival the Manny one just due to pent-up frustration 

I want Conforto but am expecting the Pederson/Engel platoon to finally happen after all these years lol

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Possibly?

There's more to Kikuchi than that; Seattle had a multiyear option on him that they rejected. Its possible that he wanted a change of scenery. 

And why would they want a "lesser pitcher than Rodon?"

Because Kopech ain't gonna give you 140IP this season, and Keuchel and Lopez both probably suck.

Kikuchi probably isn't as good as Rodon, but he's probably better than Keuchel and Lopez, and can get you more IP than Kopech can in 2022. Thats why.

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

There certainly are a couple of people who appear to be upset the Sox didn't resign Carlos, but I think the majority of people are upset they whiffed on his value and didn't offer him a QO costing them a 2nd round pick* (clarifying this from a previous post where I said 1st).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

There certainly are a couple of people who appear to be upset the Sox didn't resign Carlos, but I think the majority of people are upset they whiffed on his value and didn't offer him a QO costing them a 2nd round pick* (clarifying this from a previous post where I said 1st).

yes. This is where I am and was at the time we didn't offer it.

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I want Conforto but am expecting a Pederson/Engel platoon to finally happen after all these years lol

I just want them to acquire good MLB players. I don't need a Conforto or etc. I just need them to invest in the product, and shove their chips into the middle. Who knows how long the window will be here. Who knows how long guys will be healthy or performing well. Make it happen now because next year isn't guaranteed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Possibly?

There's more to Kikuchi than that; Seattle had a multiyear option on him that they rejected. Its possible that he wanted a change of scenery. 

And why would they want a "lesser pitcher than Rodon?"

Because Kopech ain't gonna give you 140IP this season, and Keuchel and Lopez both probably suck.

Kikuchi probably isn't as good as Rodon, but he's probably better than Keuchel and Lopez, and can get you more IP than Kopech can in 2022. Thats why.

Kikuchi is terrible.

Another one of those guys I see floated around here that I have no idea why Sox fans want anything to do with.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

lol the FO was literally wrong about his value already. 

Why?  They signed him last year at a reduced rate when no one else wanted him at the higher $4M number.  As I said before, I think they did him a solid for not tying him down with a QO.  If they think with his risky health baggage he is worth 15 or 16 why offer the QO?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Why?  They signed him last year at a reduced rate when no one else wanted him at the higher $4M number.  As I said before, I think they did him a solid for not tying him down with a QO.  If they think with his risky health baggage he is worth 15 or 16 why offer the QO?

Why? Because they didn't offer him the QO because they thought it was too much and that he would accept since he wouldn't get more on the open market. They did him a solid? Jesus Christ. You offer the QO based on what his value is league wide, not based on what you value him at personally. 

Are you being intentionally dense?

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

And as others have said, that is a much more realistic and rational gripe, in my opinion. 

However, I still don't think it was an absolute slam dunk that Rodon turns down the QO, even after seeing what he just got. Which would seemingly tell me the Sox really had zero interest in bringing him back, and didn't want to take an $18 million dollar gamble. Now, their decision to pick up Kimbrell sort of contradicts that, but I want to see how the whole offseason plays out before making a true judgment. 

If the Sox rotation is worse on paper than last year, and they make zero upgrades, I'll have a bigger issue with it. 

• Like 2