Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Listen, I'm with you on maximizing appearances. But this team has not built the depth at the minor league level to sustain this beyond their current core of players, and that core is aging faster than most understand. This it the peak time for this team. They need to shove shove shove imo.

Valid point. I just think the core is young enough to have an extended window. They don't need stars in the upper minors now they need it 2 years when these players are going to get too expensive or old.

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

I mean, we did hear during the first part of the off-season about how they misread the market on someone they wanted. Pretty good chance they misread the market on a lot of guys who have signed and possibly still out there.

There is probably a reason none of us are employed as GM's.  Quite honestly...sometimes I would love to bring the Tampa FO over to the southside.   It's not like I love it when RH trades a player I like in Madrigal for Kimbrel, etc.  However, I will always defend the professional FO people.   They have more info for making their decisions than the fan does.  Most fans love second-guessing each and every move with 20/20 hindsight.  Right now it looks like RH might have turned Rodon into a second-round pick.  If instead Rodon accepts the QO and blows out his arm...he was right to not offer the QO.  We all have our "opinions"...I'll leave it at that.

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Incorrect. It will likely cost cash to have Kimbrel fuck off, because no one's taking all $16MM.

I disagree. If they don't trade all of his salary it will be for a better prospect, thus it would be worth it.

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Someone will take his entire contract.  Don't worry.

I have my doubts.

Don't forget, in addition to Kimbrel having sucked a horse's ass for most of the past 3 or so seasons, hes old as shit. Whats more, you're placing your faith in the mouthbreathers that fucking couldn't figure out that Rodon > Kimbrel.

I mean, it's the 1st day of spring training, and I'm more pissed off than during the lockout...

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Except plenty of people said this was a dumb decision the second they made it. That's not hindsight.

When the decision was made not to offer a QO...many people thought it was a sign that his health wasn't the greatest.  That might still be the case.  It does appear now "in hindsight" that we could have turned him into a 2nd round pick.

39 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m convinced the meltdown on here if they don’t get Conforto will rival the Manny one just due to pent-up frustration 

As long as they make improvements and don’t stand pat I won’t melt-down.  Like I think Conforto makes so much more sense than Castellanos, but the latter still adds a major bat that gives us the flexibility to deal from a strength to address other needs.  But if we do nothing else but add a reliever I will certainly erupt.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I disagree. If they don't trade all of his salary it will be for a better prospect, thus it would be worth it.

Ok, I'm game:

Given that the entire fucking league already knows that KW/RH are DESPERATE to have Kimbrel fuck off, where's the leverage in negotiations for a trade?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I just want them to acquire good MLB players. I don't need a Conforto or etc. I just need them to invest in the product, and shove their chips into the middle. Who knows how long the window will be here. Who knows how long guys will be healthy or performing well. Make it happen now because next year isn't guaranteed.

Yes this exactly.

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It remains to be seen if the league wide view of Rodon is correct. I can see why the Sox wouldn't want to tie themselves to a pitcher even just this year that hasn't pitched a full year in awhile. It's a huge risk to count on him for the year.

Like I said with Kimbrel, even if they get a Class A flyer on him it costs nothing

I'm happy to admit if I'm wrong on this, but I don't see the Sox getting anything but some minor league organizational filler if they don't eat money. If they eat money, it would have just been better to spend that money elsewhere on a MLB caliber player than getting some lotto ticket by paying some salary.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

As long as they make improvements and don’t stand pat I won’t melt-down.  Like I think Conforto makes so much more sense than Castellanos, but the latter still adds a major bat that gives us the flexibility to deal from a strength to address other needs.  But if we do nothing else but add a reliever I will certainly erupt.

They will add but it will probably be stopgap guys like Eaton was last year. 

They will likely have to eat like $10M of Kimbrel's contract to move it. Nobody's buying his performance with the Cubs last year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

This team is run by morons so you’re probably right.

I mean I just posted that I'd love send Keuchel to the moon.  But hes their #5 starter, they're paying him regardless and Sox will probably win the division by 10+ games anyway.  Add all those together, and I don't see Sox spending their limited capital an another SP, and I believe they'll try to squeeze as many starts as possible out of Dallas until that vesting option gets close and which point they send him packing. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean I just posted that I'd love send Keuchel to the moon.  But hes their #5 starter, they're paying him regardless and Sox will probably win the division by 10+ games anyway.  Add all those together, and I don't see Sox spending their limited capital an another SP, and I believe they'll try to squeeze as many starts as possible out of Dallas until that vesting option gets close and which point they send him packing. 

Winning the division is step one. Moves we need to make are because we want to win a WS. 

1 minute ago, ShoeLessRob said:

At this point this team on paper is worse than the team on paper we had going into last year. They better make moves. 

Going into last year? wrong. Don't forget Rodon was a scrub. Now I would agree that this team is worse than the team that FINSIHED last year (at this time)

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Going into last year? wrong. Don't forget Rodon was a scrub. Now I would agree that this team is worse than the team that FINSIHED last year (at this time)

Going into last year Keuchel was getting Cy Young votes. This year he's James Shields. 

I always thought that DK's 2020 was smoke and mirrors, but I was in the minority. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

9 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I have my doubts.

Don't forget, in addition to Kimbrel having sucked a horse's ass for most of the past 3 or so seasons, hes old as shit. Whats more, you're placing your faith in the mouthbreathers that fucking couldn't figure out that Rodon > Kimbrel.

I mean, it's the 1st day of spring training, and I'm more pissed off than during the lockout...

It remains to be seen if Rodon>Kimbrel. It a huge risk committing a rotation spot to Rodon.

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

When the decision was made not to offer a QO...many people thought it was a sign that his health wasn't the greatest.  That might still be the case.  It does appear now "in hindsight" that we could have turned him into a 2nd round pick.

No, this was the excuse provided by people like you to justify the incompetence of a front office that has absolutely not earned the benefit of the doubt. And you keep citing hindsight, when plenty of people laid this out the minute the Sox didn't extend the QO based on OTHER cases of historical data that showed this was a poor decision.

The problem with most of your takes is that you always defer to what you deem to be the "experts," but reality is, baseball isn't a STEM field... physics/medicine. While there is certainly proprietary data and information, and obviously outsiders aren't having conversations within league circles, people can evaluate sports as outsiders based on actuals which provide as much of an unbias viewpoint as you'll find. Signings and valuations are public information. Guys within the circles could be deceived by conversations that were meant to deceive them.

You give credit to these GM's as if they are baseball savants, when history tells us that is not always the case, and plenty of organizations are behind the times and have not kept pace with the games changes and trajectory. I could have told you what Manny Machado was going to require to sign, yet the White Sox were blown away. Same goes for other signings the Sox were "caught off guard" about. Hell, the Sox thought FA wouldn't happen until after the CBA when plenty of outsiders expected a flurry of moves before the clock. Rick is a very smart man, but he's not some unquestioned baseball savant with a track record unworthy of critique. 

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd be shocked if someone didn't surprise us in the Central this year. Baseball is funny. I don't expect the Sox to win the division by 10 games but I hope I'm wrong.