Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Figure that out in July.  Options would include whatever scrap heap SP they sign in the next 3 weeks.  Or Lopez. Or Stiever. Or Lambert.  Or Crochet.  Or someone else who has a big couple months in the minors.  This is our 5th SP we're talking about. 

Unless we have an injury, which is highly probable.  I’ve got to be honest man, I feel like I agree with most of your opinions, but I’m struggling with your logic here.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

My buddy is friends with a member of the Cubs’ front office and he’s telling me Simmons is an insurance policy in case Hoerner can’t stick at SS, which they’re concerned about.  I think Correa is off the table.

Also in case Madrigal gets hurt again. You would think they’re out on Correa. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

1) Verlander in Detroit in his 34th year pitched 170 inning with a 4.1 FIP which was his worst in a decade. 

2) Poor old Custer

3) clearly the trade was consummated on the 10th but it was in the works, I suspect, for weeks.   

4) I use WAR...and he was at 1.9 the year before.  Yes he had a down year but not a terrible year...and was off to a strong start in 2016.

Listen...you win the argument because it turned out badly...and because of the lottery ticket...historically badly.  My only point is you can go find instances where getting a 34 year old pitcher turned out good.  Trading assets for Bassitt has every chance of being Shields 2.0.   Or it could turn out great.  It's only after the fact that we can be confidently right or wrong.  (Note I didn't like the trade at the time...mostly because I was optimistic about Eric Johnson...wrong and stupid).  

His point though is that it isn’t a pure lottery ticket as you’re describing it — you can do analysis on peripheral indicators that will give you more information about whether or not you’re making a good bet. The trade can still turn out either way, for sure, but that doesn’t mean the odds were equal. Shields was a CLEARLY bad bet — coming off a year where his FIP was more than a run lower than his ERA despite those numbers tracking identically for the rest of his career, and IIRC having an even bigger disparity so far in the season leading up to the trade — and it was frustrating and embarrassing at the the time because the White Sox seemed to be the only ones that didn’t know it, making them look unsophisticated.

Chris’s Bassitt is 34, but how do his peripherals look? I’m not gonna take a deep dive (and it may be that there ARE some problematic signs), but just glancing at his FIP tells a much different story than shields at the time. 

Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

Pass.  We saw plenty Yolmer already.

If they spend on a big bat for RF and DH, you don't need a big bat for 2B. Just get good defense. Honestly if Yolmer still has gold glove D, I wouldn't be mad if the Sox signed him. He had his moments on offense...wasn't completely worthless with the bat.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

It remains to be seen if Rodon>Kimbrel. It a huge risk committing a rotation spot to Rodon.

I'm confident that Rodon, even if he doesn't finish the year, will pitch more IP than Kimbrel.

Also, remember that Kimbrel has sucked hard for the past few years, except for the 1st half of 2021. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 102605 said:

Why does anyone in their right minds want anything to do with committing roster time and money to Conforto!? He was bad last year and trending down on his career. HARD PASS!

Prepare to be disemboweled.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

If they spend on a big bat for RF and DH, you don't need a big bat for 2B. Just get good defense. Honestly if Yolmer still has gold glove D, I wouldn't be mad if the Sox signed him. He had his moments on offense...wasn't completely worthless with the bat.

I'd be totally fine with Yolmer if they went big to fill their other holes.