Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If Vaughn and Sheets are on the team they need to play someplace.  Everyone can't be the DH.  Vaughn/Sheets/Eloy will probably rotate through left, 1st, and DH while Vaugn and Sheets get some RF work.  As others have said, if Vaughn is used in a big trade, then a right fielder is probably a sure thing.

Easy peasy. Vaughn to DH and Sheets in AAA as depth.

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

That's a BAD move on the white sox FO not giving him a QO and not beating that deal.

I'm sad/mad about it. Bad start to offseason part II.

We really decided to pick up Kimbrel's option of $16 million but were too scared to give Rodon a QO worth $18 million. If we don't end up trading Kimbrel for something noteworthy, that'd be a major fail. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

That's a BAD move on the white sox FO not giving him a QO and not beating that deal.

I'm sad/mad about it. Bad start to offseason part II.

If they didn’t want him for one year at 18, why would they beat this particular deal?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

That's my feeling right now too.  Give me his FA/trade replacement and my opinion probably changes.

Even with the FA/Trade replacement, they should have offered him a QO. He was NEVER accepting a QO for so many reasons. 

The CBA, even if a disaster, was going to be some kind of improvement for players, so salaries would be slightly better. Rodon was a lefty starter with elite stuff who dominated baseball for 2+ months. Someone was going to gamble on that. 

No matter what they do the rest of the way, the QO was a no brainer. It was a FREE first round pick. The Sox just don't know what MLB guys are worth, which is why they sell the farm for bums like Kimbrel.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

If they didn’t want him for one year at 18, why would they beat this particular deal?

I'm saying

a) They are wrong and they should of wanted to get him

b) they should have had the QO and got the draft pick at worst

1 minute ago, Rowand44 said:

Carlos is seriously one of the biggest wild cards in baseball next year.  I can’t understand getting that angry over him right now.  

I'm not angry the Sox didn't re-sign Carlos, although I fully expect him to be completely dominant in San Fran who maximizes pitchers better than maybe any organization in the game right now. If Carlos stays healthy and throws 180 innings, he finishes top 3 in the NL Cy Young race.

I'm angry that the Sox didn't realize that Carlos Rodon was clearly worth more than 1 year 18 million and would NOT accept a QO under any circumstances. It's just inexcusable to be that out of touch with how the rest of the league values players.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm not angry the Sox didn't re-sign Carlos, although I fully expect him to be completely dominant in San Fran who maximizes pitchers better than maybe any organization in the game right now. I'm angry that the Sox didn't realize that Carlos Rodon was clearly worth more than 1 year 18 million and would NOT accept a QO under any circumstances. It's just inexcusable to be that out of touch with how the rest of the league values players.

Ya, being mad about the QO is absolutely fair.

Edited by Rowand44
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think the FO gambled he would be available at less than 18M per year just like last year when they got a bargain.  I was thinking that 2 years at 16M might get it done if the injury fears were really out there.

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I thought it was, The FO know more about Rodon than you.

That was a good one too. The Sox FO knows more about his injuries than anyone else and that's why they didn't sign him.

Fast forward.... Carlos is the first guy signing after the CBA finalizes because he was a hot commodity that multiple teams were after. He's a genius for signing in San Fran too; guy might be able to get another deal in two years. That ballpark and organization is a pitchers dream.

• Like 1

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Cannot believe someone is going to give him a contract.

He still hits lefties well and with the NL DH, he'll definitely have a spot somewhere. 

Just now, poppysox said:

I think the FO gambled he would be available at less than 18M per year just like last year when they got a bargain.  I was thinking that 2 years at 16M might get it done if the injury fears were really out there.

If they thought he was worth that, they would have offered him the 1/18.

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Cannot believe someone is going to give him a contract.

One of those 1 day contracts is understandable to retire as a Cardinal, but anything else seems odd.

• Like 2

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That was a good one too. The Sox FO knows more about his injuries than anyone else and that's why they didn't sign him.

Fast forward.... Carlos is the first guy signing after the CBA finalizes because he was a hot commodity that multiple teams were after. He's a genius for signing in San Fran too; guy might be able to get another deal in two years. That ballpark and organization is a pitchers dream.

If the opt-out is a player opt-out, he can hit the market again next year if he proves his durability with his new-found velocity. 

• Like 1

Just now, chw42 said:

He still hits lefties well and with the NL DH, he'll definitely have a spot somewhere. 

Oops, forgot about universal DH....I can see it more now but glad it's not the team I root for.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Fuck. Hated the no-QO then, hate it now.

Yusei Kikuchi, come on down, I guess.

Kikuchi rejected a $13 million player option. He's probably looking for more than that in a contract. If the Sox weren't willing to pay Rodon $18 million a year, I'm not sure why they'd want a lesser pitcher for $5 million less. 

• Like 1