Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

I didn’t say anything was done - he just said they are reportedly close on a few things but wouldn’t tell me who (but he did say they are one of most active teams in MLB right now). 

Might be because it has to do with his club (if it did that would be great but last I heard his club and Sox didn’t align on asking price for one of Sox players). 

Just a guess maybe the Mets or the Diamondbacks? 

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

They’ve signed two righty set-up men for significant money. What more do you need to see.

I wonder if they think they can get more for him at the deadline.

The player I was referring to who the club was interested but couldn’t agree on was Kimbrel. Sox and the other team had pretty big difference in value (the Kimbrel bit was when I talked to him in person this morning…but I won’t / can’t mention other team…

But the recent post I made with the on fire quote was from a text chain I have going on with him (so is fresh).

• Like 3

Just now, ptatc said:

I wonder if they think they can get more for him at the deadline.

If he has trade value at that point, it's because he'd be pitching well. Then it wouldn't make sense to deal him because "premium" relievers have more value in the playoffs than they do the regular season. That was part of the logic that "justified" overpaying for him in the first place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

No chance, because what if he struggles in the 8th, a role he made everyone know he didn’t want to do.

Sox are asking a lot for Kimbrel. They want to move him but don’t expect them to just give him away ((based upon what I heard they were asking). With that said - will be interesting if they don’t get what they want what they will do cause I think we will see Kimbrel move closely followed/aligned with a sizeable free agent signing. 

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Sox are asking a lot for Kimbrel. They want to move him but don’t expect them to just give him away ((based upon what I heard they were asking). With that said - will be interesting if they don’t get what they want what they will do cause I think we will see Kimbrel move closely followed/aligned with a sizeable free agent signing. 

I try not to be this guy, but Reinsdorf could also just pay the tax for 1 season so the Sox can put the best team on the field for 2022. Kimbrel, Abreu, & Keuchel would all be coming off the books so it'd be easy to go back under again next year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Maybe I missed where the Sox ever said they'd be spending up to the Tax Line.

I think they are going to spend the money. Maybe not up to luxury tax as I presume they want some wiggle room but TLR has JR ear and he wants to win it all one more time. 

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think they are going to spend the money. Maybe not up to luxury tax as I presume they want some wiggle room but TLR has JR ear and he wants to win it all one more time. 

I hate to say it, but ego has to take over at some point. JR brought back Tony because he was smarter than everyone else,  so he personally looks like a moron if this squad flops again. He's in a spot where he has to do something. 

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I hate to say it, but ego has to take over at some point. JR brought back Tony because he was smarter than everyone else,  so he personally looks like a moron if this squad flops again. He's in a spot where he has to do something. 

I don’t like TLR as a manager but I do think he is the one person who will get JR to empty his wallet. 

42 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

This is just some random fan on twitter but thought I might share. 

This person has done zero research on the luxury tax rules.  The White Sox have about $19 million right now. If they traded Kimbrel, there’s a maximum of $35 million. This person doesn’t know about the fact benefits get counted in the luxury tax dollars.