Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He’s not on the roster yet, but they still absolutely need an OF on a minor league contract at some point. If they have 2 OF injuries, their only roster depth in the OF is Adolfo (lost on opening day) and Rutherford. At least if they have 2 IF injuries they have Mendick.

Not "if," but when?

I mean Eloy, Robert, and Engel all have injury histories. It doesn't take much to see this as a possibility. I certainly hope not, but does anyone really think these three will come through all of 2022 unscathed by injury?

2 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Not "if," but when?

I mean Eloy, Robert, and Engel all have injury histories. It doesn't take much to see this as a possibility. I certainly hope not, but does anyone really think these three will come through all of 2022 unscathed by injury?

No.

But as of now that’s the official plan.

Just now, fathom said:

Conforto surely will want an opt-out, which will never happen here 

Boston or Texas will offer him 3 years and 60ish million with opt outs every year and he'll probably take it. 

• Like 1

On one hand the Sox have Abreu, Anderson, Grandal, Vaughn, Robert and Jimenez. That should be enough offense to win

On the other, they're clearly a SP short and an actual RF'er would be helpful

Perhaps they're counting on Robert to take another step and Vaughn to be much better

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Boston or Texas will offer him 3 years and 60ish million with opt outs every year and he'll probably take it. 

Probably true.

Why not go: $16/20/24MM, with opt outs? Gets him reasonably paid, gets JR the chance to remain richer, and if he performs well, it gives Boras a chance to go back to FA in a year or two?

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The fun will be the posts saying “no one could possibly have seen this number of injuries coming!”

Nah, the real fun will be me/my posting when I see that the SOX have re-signed Billy Hamilton.

I beg everyone's forgiveness in advance if/when this happens. 

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

It's not glamorous by any means, but if Conforto doesn't end up happening for whatever reason, Tommy Pham would work for me as a depth option.  All of the projection systems on FG have him as an above-average hitter and in the ~2 WAR range in an every day role. I wouldn't advocate for him getting that here, obviously, but he's the 2nd best OF left at this point and likely to sign cheap.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

It's not glamorous by any means, but if Conforto doesn't end up happening for whatever reason, Tommy Pham would work for me as a depth option.  All of the projection systems on FG have him as an above-average hitter and in the ~2 WAR range in an every day role. I wouldn't advocate for him getting that here, obviously, but he's the 2nd best OF left at this point and likely to sign cheap.

Don’t disagree but they won’t add another righty.  I can see the Guardians adding him. 

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Nah, the real fun will be me/my posting when I see that the SOX have re-signed Billy Hamilton.

I beg everyone's forgiveness in advance if/when this happens. 

All right, you get that thread but I call dibs on any “no one could have foreseen this number of injuries” posts.

For how old this roster is, and the injury history of the young guys, it’s going to happen.

Just now, fathom said:

Don’t disagree but they won’t add another righty.  I can see the Guardians adding him. 

The lefties who fit better (but are worse players, honestly) like Joc and Rosario are already off the board. I don't think they should be picky if Conforto isn't in the plans. Just add the best player possible at this point.

16 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Not "if," but when?

You just hope they are short term ones not the major surgery types 

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's Soxtalk that has this idea the Sox want Conforto; honestly, they've never leaked any interest. Machado was frustrating because they were talking about being all-in with him. With Conforto they've been trying to tell you the exact opposite but everyone refuses to listen.

'Comforto'

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

All right, you get that thread but I call dibs on any “no one could have foreseen this number of injuries” posts.

For how old this roster is, and the injury history of the young guys, it’s going to happen.

Deal!

Even if Conforto is added, he's another guy with a significant injury history. So, I should make peace with Billy Hamilton's return, I guess...

I just can't make any promises. I think it'll be a lot of cursing, and a broken phone or two if/when it happens. God forbid. 

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

• Quin locked this topic