Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The cycle of soxtalk offseasons will now be complete when conforto signs elsewhere. 

Unless they shock the world and sign Story for 2B, which would really render Harrison extraneous...

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I mean that’s not the same thing. Come on, man. 

Walker was a typical 2nd round White Sox pick. There was 2 years of control for Mazara,  but until last year Conforto averaged more WAR per seaon than Mazara put up in 4. If Conforto had a big season and walked, he, for a second round pick would still be a really good deal . Look what they gave up for 1 year of the Shark. Here's a list of White Sox 2nd round picks. Who on this list wouldn't you trade straight up for 1 year of Conforto with rhe White Sox in their current state?https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/index.fcgi?team_ID=CHW&draft_round=2&draft_type=junreg&query_type=franch_round

Edited by Dick Allen

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Walker was a typical 2nd round White Sox pick. There was 2 years of control for Mazara,  but until last year Conforto averaged more WAR per seaon than Mazara put up in 4. If Conforto had a big season and walked, he, for a second round pick would still be a really good deal . Look what they gave up for 1 year of the Shark. Here's a list of White Sox 2nd round picks. Who on this list wouldn't you trade straight up for 1 year of Conforto with rhe White Sox in their current state?https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/index.fcgi?team_ID=CHW&draft_round=2&draft_type=junreg&query_type=franch_round

I’d trade all of them. Gavin Sheets might be Sox best 2nd rounder ever. It’s not just about the player though but also the pool space. It changes how much the player is worth. If your valuation says Conforto is worth 4/80, he’s not worth 4/80 plus a 2nd rounder, the bonus amount and $500K in international space. It’s just complicated.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Pretty dismal track record. Not many teams will flourish with that set of duds.

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’d trade all of them. Gavin Sheets might be Sox best 2nd rounder ever. It’s not just about the player though but also the pool space. It changes how much the player is worth. If your valuation says Conforto is worth 4/80, he’s not worth 4/80 plus a 2nd rounder, the bonus amount and $500K in international space. It’s just complicated.

Do you think Conforto is still a possibility at this point or should I just stop getting my hopes up?

20 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

But a lot of those players took up the slot space anyway, which makes that a wash.

19 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

For a 72 win White Sox team like the 2014 white Sox you are totally right, giving away a second round pick for David Robertson and a third round pick for Melky Cabrera would be nonsense. Only a fool would do that to try to make that bad of a team a little bit better.

Heck, for a rebuilding team winning 60-some games, it would be just flat out fire-able to care so little about their international spending to, I dunno, trade some of the international space to convince Texas to take on the contract of a pitcher with a busted arm like Nate Jones. Giving up that opportunity for a minor bit of cost savings would just be nuts. No one in their right mind would do that. You would have to be the worst run franchise in baseball to be rebuilding and to care so little about your international signing pool.

But when your team won 93 games last year and has a legitimate 2-3 year window before major pieces are gone, those draft picks just aren’t as important as winning right now. And they’re worth sacrificing. Pay market value and get the players you need, and the second round pick is inconsequential.

• Thanks 1

" The Braves, under general manager Alex Anthopoulos, do not grant opt-outs or no-trade clauses. They have won four straight division titles with Dansby Swanson as their shortstop. And they were focused on adding a reliever before the Correa sweepstakes reached a dramatic conclusion early Saturday morning, discussing a trade with the White Sox for Craig Kimbrel, then agreeing with Kenley Jansen on a one-year, $16 million free-agent contract late Friday night."

Atlanta was interested in trading for Kimbrel before eventually signing Jansen, per Rosenthal.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Atlanta was interested in trading for Kimbrel before eventually signing Jansen, per Rosenthal.

Hahn clearly was asking for too much...to the point where just paying that $16 million to Jansen made more sense.  Therein lies the danger of being left without a seat when the music stops.

Keeping in mind the Braves already won a WS with now former closer Will Smith.  They might have the best pen in baseball if Kirby Yates can put it back together...with their battery of setup guys like Jackson and Minster.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Can he even play home games with the Jays? 

Far too much port tonight to form a coherent thought about anything. However this does complicate everything. 

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Far too much port tonight to form a coherent thought about anything. However this does complicate everything. 

Everyone this is amazing. One of the insiders got a direct quote from the general manager, made on the night that he signed Harrison, Kelly, and Velasquez. What a privilege to see this look deep into his thought process that night. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Everyone this is amazing. One of the insiders got a direct quote from the general manager, made on the night that he signed Harrison, Kelly, and Velasquez. What a privilege to see this look deep into his thought process that night. 

If he is in the same condition I am , I now understand his moves this off season

• Quin locked this topic