Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If he is in the same condition I am , I now understand his moves this off season

Hahn awakens surrounded by an empty bottle of cheap Canadian whiskey, a bunch of dirty shoes, and next to a zebra…”I spent $17 million on what?!?”

• Haha 1
  • Hawk 1

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Nope. He can't get in the country.

Honestly, this probably hurt Conforto in free agency. It's one thing to sign a relief pitcher like Graveman for $24M and risk losing him for a playoff series. Your starting right fielder for $100M (and a draft pick) would be infuriating to lose in a playoff series.

And Canada's travel restriction might last that long, since it's international.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Hahn awakens surrounded by an empty bottle of cheap Canadian whiskey, a bunch of dirty shoes, and next to a zebra…”I spent $17 million on what?!?”

Hey, hey hey, it's been 2 bottles of Grahams 30 tawny port. I'm entitled to spent a few dollars! 😁

Indians have been tied to Joc and also were very interested in Winker.  It seems they’re clearly looking for lefty power.  Also, I read where the Phillies were trying to get Meadows before they got Castellanos, but other teams were in on Meadows also.

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

Same law is in place for Canadians trying to enter the US. Just an fyi.

Conforto could re-sign with the Mets but not play in any of their home games. So you could just pay him like 5 million to play when they travel to red states. 

1 minute ago, KBX said:

Conforto could re-sign with the Mets but not play in any of their home games. So you could just pay him like 5 million to play when they travel to red states. 

Both New York teams (Yankees especially) seem to be acting as if the mandate will be lifted before Opening Day. But at the same time, I think the Brooklyn Nets expected they'd be able to pressure NYC to lift it for Kyrie and obviously that has not happened.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Indians have been tied to Joc and also were very interested in Winker.  It seems they’re clearly looking for lefty power.  Also, I read where the Phillies were trying to get Meadows before they got Castellanos, but other teams were in on Meadows also.

Their farm system is so ridiculously deep I'm shocked they haven't traded for anyone. But I'm sure their ownership never would have signed off on taking Suarez as a salary dump.

5 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

So basically Sox and Rangers then. Sure seems there for the taking. I would be absolutely astonished to see Cleveland hand out this kind of contract and he may not even be able to play games in NY. 

Edited by ChiSox59

Alright, let’s go through Conforto’s market team by team with any connection to him.  IMO, there are four primary factors to consider: 1) Payroll / CBT implications | 2) positional need | 3) readiness to win | 4) local vaccine mandates.

• Yankees: 1) ~$4M away from 2nd CBT threshold | 2) already have Judge, Gallo, & Stanton to cover RF, LF, & DH | 3) championship roster already in place | 4) local vaccine mandate poses significant risk | Conclusion: NOT HAPPENING
  • Red Sox: 1) ~$19M away from 1st CBT threshold | 2) upgrade possible but already have four guys to cover three OF spots | 3) ~2 wins away from 6th playoff spot per FG | 4) Canada vaccine mandate poses some risk | Conclusion: POSSIBLE THREAT
  • Blue Jays: 1) ~$49M away from 1st CBT threshold | 2) already have Springer, Gurriel, Hernandez, & Grichuk to cover OF / DH | 3) championship roster already in place | 4) local vaccine mandate could be a deal killer | Conclusion: NOT HAPPENING
  • Guardians: 1) No CBT concerns / payroll down ~$15M vs. 2021 | 2) could use OF help / LH power | 3) ~6 wins away from 6th playoff spot per FG | 4) vaccine concerns are minimal | Conclusion: POSSIBLE THREAT
  • Diamondbacks: 1) No CBT concerns / payroll down ~$20M vs. 2021 | 2) upgrade possible, but already have multiple guys to cover OF / DH | 3) 2nd lowest projected win total per FG | 4) vaccine concerns are minimal | Conclusion: NOT HAPPENING
  • Padres: 1) ~$9M away from 1st CBT threshold | 2) could desperately use a corner OF upgrade over Myers or Profar | 3) championship roster already in place | 4) vaccine concerns are minimal | 5) POSSIBLE THREAT
  • Rangers: 1) No CBT concerns / payroll down ~$20M vs recent trends | 2) have options but could use a corner OF upgrade | 3) ~10 wins away from 6th playoff spot per FG | 4) vaccine concerns are minimal  | Conclusion: POSSIBLE THREAT

That’s four possible threats for Conforto, but I think Cleveland is a massive long shot given their ownership group’s past spending habits.  Boston could use an upgrade, but I’m not convinced they will want to blow their remaining CBT space on Conforto when they have other decent options.  As for the Rangers, the big question to me is do they want to lock in another $20M per year in long-term commitments when competing in 2022 is very unlikely.

Ultimately it’s the Padres that scare me the most.  They could really use an OF upgrade, the Tatis injury puts more pressure on their offense, and they’ve shown they’re willing to spend big & go into the tax to maximize their chances of winning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Alright, let’s go through Conforto’s market team by team with any connection to him.  IMO, there are four primary factors to consider: 1) Payroll / CBT implications | 2) positional need | 3) readiness to win | 4) local vaccine mandates.

• Yankees: 1) ~$4M away from 2nd CBT threshold | 2) already have Judge, Gallo, & Stanton to cover RF, LF, & DH | 3) championship roster already in place | 4) local vaccine mandate poses significant risk | Conclusion: NOT HAPPENING
  • Red Sox: 1) ~$19M away from 1st CBT threshold | 2) upgrade possible but already have four guys to cover three OF spots | 3) ~2 wins away from 6th playoff spot per FG | 4) Canada vaccine mandate poses some risk | Conclusion: POSSIBLE THREAT
  • Blue Jays: 1) ~$49M away from 1st CBT threshold | 2) already have Springer, Gurriel, Hernandez, & Grichuk to cover OF / DH | 3) championship roster already in place | 4) local vaccine mandate could be a deal killer | Conclusion: NOT HAPPENING
  • Guardians: 1) No CBT concerns / payroll down ~$15M vs. 2021 | 2) could use OF help / LH power | 3) ~6 wins away from 6th playoff spot per FG | 4) vaccine concerns are minimal | Conclusion: POSSIBLE THREAT
  • Diamondbacks: 1) No CBT concerns / payroll down ~$20M vs. 2021 | 2) upgrade possible, but already have multiple guys to cover OF / DH | 3) 2nd lowest projected win total per FG | 4) vaccine concerns are minimal | Conclusion: NOT HAPPENING
  • Padres: 1) ~$9M away from 1st CBT threshold | 2) could desperately use a corner OF upgrade over Myers or Profar | 3) championship roster already in place | 4) vaccine concerns are minimal | 5) POSSIBLE THREAT
  • Rangers: 1) No CBT concerns / payroll down ~$20M vs recent trends | 2) have options but could use a corner OF upgrade | 3) ~10 wins away from 6th playoff spot per FG | 4) vaccine concerns are minimal  | Conclusion: POSSIBLE THREAT

That’s four possible threats for Conforto, but I think Cleveland is a massive long shot given their ownership group’s past spending habits.  Boston could use an upgrade, but I’m not convinced they will want to blow their remaining CBT space on Conforto when they have other decent options.  As for the Rangers, the big question to me is do they want to lock in another $20M per year in long-term commitments when competing in 2022 is very unlikely.

Ultimately it’s the Padres that scare me the most.  They could really use an OF upgrade, the Tatis injury puts more pressure on their offense, and they’ve shown they’re willing to spend big & go into the tax to maximize their chances of winning.

Out of these teams, the Rangers make the sense. They've already forfeited their 2nd and 3rd rounders as well so giving up the 4th isn't a huge deal. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That's some good analysis. Until a team like the Pirates swoops in like the Twins did with Correa and blows everyone out of the water.

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

https://www.eastvillagetimes.com/the-padres-and-michael-conforto-are-a-unique-fit/

Already went after Suzuki and Soler, so clearly in the market at a corner.

Have experience in these competitive bidding situations with super agents.

West Coast location...opportunities to spend significant time in SF, LA, Denver and Phoenix, better weather overall than Rust Belt teams.  Went to Oregon State, but Mariners not a fit.

GM under massive pressure to winthis year, can't blame another young manager with veteran Melvin in place.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Fluff article from Merkin today...it's not happening boys...

"Finding that confident approach at DH should serve Sheets well in 2022 within the current configuration of the White Sox roster. The club will use a combination of Andrew Vaughn, Sheets, Leury García and Adam Engel in right field and won’t have one set player at DH."

12 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Fluff article from Merkin today...it's not happening boys...

"Finding that confident approach at DH should serve Sheets well in 2022 within the current configuration of the White Sox roster. The club will use a combination of Andrew Vaughn, Sheets, Leury García and Adam Engel in right field and won’t have one set player at DH."

To be fair, this is true. Within the current configuration, this is the likely setup. 

• Thanks 1

• Quin locked this topic