Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don’t think this is really how transactions work in real life. Sox wouldn’t risk losing Conforto to another team over trying to negotiate a couple million out of the Kimbrel sweepstakes. 

Jimmy says Sox offered Conforto 4/$75M range. I’m sure Conforto is still trying to get 5/$100M Castellanos got. It’s a game of chicken right now waiting for someone to blink. Thankfully Sox don’t appear to have much competition. 

He said that here or on Twitter?

I’m perfectly fine with a Vaughn/Sheets DH (and occasion LF/RF) platoon…but we need a starting RF. Engel is a great 4th OF’er, but a below average starter. 

It’s desperation, but what are the odds the 2017-2019 version of Tommy Pham is still alive somewhere in his 34 year old body? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don’t think this is really how transactions work in real life. Sox wouldn’t risk losing Conforto to another team over trying to negotiate a couple million out of the Kimbrel sweepstakes. 

Jimmy says Sox offered Conforto 4/$75M range. I’m sure Conforto is still trying to get 5/$100M Castellanos got. It’s a game of chicken right now waiting for someone to blink. Thankfully Sox don’t appear to have much competition. 

The Sox don't have a great immediate history of winning games of chicken against elite agents, even when there is a seeming lack of other suitors. 

I'm not expressing an opinion on the merits of whether 5/100 is a good idea or not. I'm just saying getting stuck in a stalemate against Boras when your other viable replacement options have now disappeared, the positional hole is as large as the grand canyon and you have a short window to win  is a poor position to be in. 

In a master class on creating good leverage, this probably wouldn't be used as the example in the casebook.

FWIW - Do you think Reinsdorf has put a limit on what the Sox would offer Conforto not because he is averse to spending more than what Grandal got, but strictly because he will not make Conforto the highest paid White Sox player ever with this guy being unvaccinated??

8 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

He said that here or on Twitter?

Here last night. He did insinuate that he wasn’t sure if the offer was still on table. But it’s not like the sox have signed someone else to fill that need in the meantime. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

Just now, bear_brian said:

FWIW - Do you think Reinsdorf has put a limit on what the Sox would offer Conforto not because he is averse to spending more than what Grandal got, but strictly because he will not make Conforto the highest paid White Sox player ever with this guy being unvaccinated??

I don’t think either of those things have any relevance whatsoever. The Sox have clearly offered players contracts over the grandal one.

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sox also didn’t seem to have much competition in the Machado fiasco either.  Let’s hope they learned something, though I can’t even put much faith in that sentiment. 

• Fire 1

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

Hasn’t signed anywhere yet and maybe we have a chance?

But all indications point otherwise, and have pointed this way since the off-season got going.

*Vaughn needing a place to play (most important )

*White Sox already with a very high payroll 

*Reinsdorf's alligator arms to ever spend +$100 million on a single contract

*loss of draft pick

*Their assumption (not the fans) that Cespedes and Colas are their OF of the future despite no guarantee. 

*Conforto being not that great last season (my opinion) 

Just now, Tnetennba said:

Sox also didn’t seem to have much competition in the Machado fiasco either.  Let’s hope they learned something, though I can’t even put much faith in that sentiment. 

Shrug. Little different circumstances but yeah. I certainly like 4/$75M better than 5/$100m too. I wouldn’t lose him over it personally, but easy for me to say. Definitely has the Machado vibes, so I get that angle for sure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

Another AL team getting better, im really looking forward to that vaughn/sheets/engel platoon and Harrison's 700 OPS this season!

Don't worry. We still have time for another frenzied and exciting day as we had when the Sox FO signed Josh Harrison,

57 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

I really wish the White Sox had some more out of the box thinkers in their front office.   Like how did the Red Sox come to the conclusion that they would make Trevor Story work at 2B? I’m sure lack of a market didn’t help Story and having an owner willing to go above and beyond helps but nothing this FO does has shown they can be creative. 

There is thinking in Boston that Bogaerts opts out after 2022 so Story would play 2nd base for only 1 year.

42 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

This is a horrible total money value though. No one should be mad at White Sox for staying away at this price. But yeah, pretty creative contract. Kinda outta control with all the variations this blitz 

We say this about every signing. It isn't offered if they can't afford it. Face it, the White Sox will never get these types as long as JR is calling the shots. Needed to improve the team, lost one of its better pitchers for nothing. Signed one decent reliever, sign another one who 5 months after his injury still can't throw off a mound. Sign another pitcher who has totally sucked and signed a 35 year old to solve 2B who almost certainly will put up a replacement level WAR. This happens all the time. It's time White Sox fans stop falling for ever thinking this is the year they are all in.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

No.

We are not running the 2021 RFers out there, though. I think the argument is that a Vaughn/Engel platoon will be an improvement over the Ghost of Eaton/Goodwin etc.  One can disagree but citing the 2021 #s isn’t terribly relevant. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Imagine sitting there after getting our ass kicked by the Astros and be like yea we’re just a couple of utility players and RPs away from competing. And by the way we’re going to let our second best pitcher go.

makes sense.... to the white sox.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Imagine sitting there after getting our ass kicked by the Astros and be like yea we’re just a couple of utility players and RPs away from competing. And by the way we’re going to let our second best pitcher go.

Imagine making such decisions based on a single flukish best of 5 series.

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Imagine making such decisions based on a single flukish best of 5 series.

While I agree it's hard to conclude anything in a best of 5 series, it was quite obvious they needed upgrades at 2B, RF and a LH hitter. Failed all over. 

• Like 1

• Quin locked this topic