Michael Conforto: His POV and the Wait

SouthSideGeorgia

4 hours ago, Colome's Hat said:

The longer this plays out, I think he's going to sign a one year prove it deal with the White Sox.  And I'm fine with that. He overrated his market completely and also likely got screwed by the lockout.  

If he signs a one year prove it deal, it seems likely that would be returning to the Mets.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Idk how many times we have to see him run backwards to try and catch a fly ball and completely misplay it or run into the wall. 

How true, he even had a concussion after the Field Of Dreams game after hitting his head on the fence.  But very time I swear off one of his misplays he seems to hit a HR and everyones back to loving Leury.  He's not a outfielder, and if we continue to play him in RF and CF as he played the other day in Spring training we are doomed.

I have to disagree with Tony on this one, Leury is a utility player and nothing more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As mentioned before, the Sox probably don’t do a 1-year prove-it deal with Conforto BEFORE July 17th, since they would lose a 3rd round pick in Draft. Having one of the worst ranked farms, I’m not so sure they should be giving up picks for one-year players. 

I’m mean it could happened, but I doubt it. Michael is not going to see money close to the Mets deal he turned down in 2021, and he may not be close to the Qualifying Offer deal of $18.4 million from the Mets. Not with the restrictive draft pick added. 

Somewhere between $12.25 million that he played for last year and $18 million I suspect now. Maybe after July 17th at this rate. He made some bad decisions and has to suck it up or miss out on the beginning of the season now. His list of interested teams are dwindling, if not almost gone at this point. 

Edited by SouthSideGeorgia

31 minutes ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

As mentioned before, the Sox probably don’t do a 1-year prove-it deal with Conforto BEFORE July 17th, since they would lose a 3rd round pick in Draft. Having one of the worst ranked farms, I’m not so sure they should be giving up picks for one-year players. 

I’m mean it could happened, but I doubt it. Michael is not going to see money close to the Mets deal he turned down in 2021, and he may not be close to the Qualifying Offer deal of $18.4 million from the Mets. Not with the restrictive draft pick added. 

Somewhere between $12.25 million that he played for last year and $18 million I suspect now. Maybe after July 17th at this rate. He made some bad decisions and has to suck it up or miss out on the beginning of the season now. His list of interested teams are dwindling, if not almost gone at this point. 

The White Sox would lose their 2nd round pick. There’s no chance they give Conforto a short term deal imo. 

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The White Sox would lose their 2nd round pick. There’s no chance they give Conforto a short term deal imo. 

I wouldn't take even a year flyer for Conforto, not coming off those stats and having to lose a draft pick just so he can start in RF for a season.  If he's still around after the July draft then I would offer him a deal for the remainder of this year only.  We won't lose too many games because of our RF defense between opening day and July that warrants signing him now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I wouldn't take even a year flyer for Conforto, not coming off those stats and having to lose a draft pick just so he can start in RF for a season.

Agree.  I just don't get the desire to tie the Sox up long-term with a slightly above average player (who had a well below average year last year).   Just a repeat of another failed practice.

Just now, hi8is said:

I thought a league average player is 0 WAR.

That’s the “guy you should be able to pick up off waivers at any point” in the definition I learned.

If you had a team full of 2 War players, you have 18 war from your lineup, 10 from your rotation, and a couple from backups and bullpen to give you just over 30 war, which is pretty much an average team on paper. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

That’s the “guy you should be able to pick up off waivers at any point” in the definition I learned.

If you had a team full of 2 War players, you have 18 war from your lineup, 10 from your rotation, and a couple from backups and bullpen to give you just over 30 war, which is pretty much an average team on paper. 

Maybe if I slept more than 3 hours last night, I could engage in a meaningful discussion with you…

Alas, I didn’t so much brain is presently mush.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Conforto was basically a 4 win player from 2017 to 2020.  If people want to overreact to a bad 2021 season that’s fine, but let’s not ignore his track record and say he was an average player.

All the projection algorithms put him at like 2.7 next year, So I’m not sure that’s unfair.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

All the projection algorithms put him at like 2.7 next year, So I’m not sure that’s unfair.

That’s because projections don’t know how to account for last year.  Realistically, those systems are saying it’s a 50% chance he’s the 3.5 to 4 win guy from 2017 to 2020 and a 50% chance he’s the shit player from last year.  The 2.2 fWAR projection is more or less a weighted average of those two possible outcomes.  So again, you got to decide which version of Conforto you are going to get.  Personally, I’m going to blame 2021 on a hamstring injury and assumes returns to form.