Kimbrel traded for AJ Pollock

Sleepy Harold

5 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

1. RH made bad decisions that lead to him making other bad decisions this offseason. This move is just a "meh," in my view.

2. To your questions, Joc Pederson is LH, younger, costs ~$9MM less, has played RF more than Pollock, doesn't get hurt as much as Pollock, and can play good defense. With the ~$9MM in savings, they also could have acquired a better SP than Velasquez, instead of trading from a weak MiLB system to maybe get a SP from Oakland, and then hope he doesn't turn into a turd when he leaves their pitcher-friendly park.

And as you mentioned, for a bit more AAV than Pollock, they could have had Suzuki.

1. What's done is done. There is no going back. You hated the Kimbrel trade from the beginning . I get it. It ended up sucking in every way imaginable. I just don't understand why you think it's "meh". Just start with the fact Kimbrel was on the team and slated to pitch in a role he wasn't suited for this year. Then ask yourself, is subtracting Kimbrel and adding Pollock on paper something that improves the team, all things being equal, if both are healthy and both live up to their previous 2 or 3 years. That answer is a resounding yes.

2. Joc Pederson ? What impresses you at all about Pederson ? The last good year he had was 2019 when he was 27 with a 3.0 fWAR. 2020 was -.1 wRC+ 86 ,and 2021 was .6 & 94 wRC+ . His last 600+ AB's plus his " good defense" accumulated .5 fWAR total.

Pollock was hurt much of 2019 but managed .9 fWAR & 107 wRC+ . 2020 .9 fWAR in 55 of the 60 games played that year & 131 wRC+. 2021 3.0 fWAR & 137 wRC+. In his last 600+ AB's he's accumulated 3.9 fWAR .  Over the last 2 years Pollock has easily been better offensively.

Defensively from 2016-2021  Pederson is a -18 in OAA playing all OF positions, mostly CF and LF. The most games he has ever played in a season in RF is 39 . Pollock from 2016-2021 is a  0 OAA playing mostly CF and LF . The most games he ever played in a season in RF is 4. I don't see anything that suggests Joc is a better fielder . Just the opposite in fact. In fairness Pollock has rarely played RF but since he's played  way more games in CF than anything else the fact his OAA is still 0  is a good sign he can play RF adequately.

To take this even further Pederson's sprint speed in 2021 was 26.9 ft./second while Pollock's was 27.8  despite the 5 years difference in age.

3.. You often say you don't see the Sox window extending beyond 2023 when Giolito  becomes a free agent so if the Cubs signed Suzuki for 5/$85M the Sox would've had to beat that. So what purpose does Suzuki serve being here so long ,so expensively? The length of time Pollock will be here should give Colas and Cespedes amble time to show their abilities and possibly replace Pollock at a way cheaper rate than Suzuki .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Kimbrel's first ST appearance for the Dodgers began: double, homer, homer, single

I know spring training is a joke, but Kimbrel fucking blows. I think the Dodgers will regret taking him. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

He'll probably go back to being good again, but I am so glad he isn't the Sox problem anymore

I'm sure he'll go back to throwing 98 again when he gets to close. 

I'm not sure what the hell Kimbrel was doing in the off-season, but apparently he came into camp throwing 90. I'm not too familiar with how long it takes pitchers to ramp up in ST, but it's hard to believe he can ramp up 8 MPH when a lot of the other guys on the team were already throwing hard 2 weeks ago. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CeaseAndExist said:

You really, really need to look at what other SP are being traded for. Vaughn alone would get a lot more than Manaea. 

Burger/Sheets + a pitching prospect is more realistic

I agree with above or I think a pitching prospect and just Vaughn would do it.  Not sure I'd do either.

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I'm sure he'll go back to throwing 98 again when he gets to close. 

I'm not sure what the hell Kimbrel was doing in the off-season, but apparently he came into camp throwing 90. I'm not too familiar with how long it takes pitchers to ramp up in ST, but it's hard to believe he can ramp up 8 MPH when a lot of the other guys on the team were already throwing hard 2 weeks ago. 

He was around 94 his last outing with Sox.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That's some pitch 

Kimbrel's curve was at least pretty good with us. He just tended to hit left handed hitters with it. 

I wouldn't be too worried about him hanging curveballs in Arizona, if I'm the Dodgers I'd be more concerned with his control and velocity on the fastball. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

He’s useful if he’s not over exposed. I think the fear from last year is TLR will find a way to get Leury in the lineup most days, often at the expense of better players. 

He was good last year and over exposed. He won 2B against a longtime starting 2b

13 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Clearly the problem was that he wasn't pitching in the 9th inning

In a related note, the Dodgers have announced the new walk up music for Craig Kimbrel.....

• Haha 1