Kimbrel traded for AJ Pollock

Sleepy Harold

After reading through the thread I'm imaging a meeting of Sox outfielders with Tony. It looks like a nursing home with Luis Robert the grandkid who comes to visit. Tony has Wheel of Fortune on the TV with the volume too high. Walkers, canes, and crutches everywhere. Nurses are arguing whose turn it is to change the bandages. 

14 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

So the Sox converted the #4 pick overall in the draft four years ago into a half season of Madrigal, a disastrous half season by Kimbrel, and now one, maybe two seasons of an oft-injured 34 year-old decent-at-best outfielder.  

We lost all of those games in 2017 to get the #4 pick, only for it to turn into this return.  That’s not good.  

The Madrigal pick hasn't worked out with his injuries. If Pollock has a decent season and the team wins a couple playoff series, I'd claim it as a non failing use of a draft pick.

9 hours ago, tray said:

I am skeptical about Pollock's durability as an everyday outfielder  in his age 34 season.

My guess is that Cody Bellinger will prove to have been a better choice over time.

I also don't like the price tag for a guy who looks like a one year stop gap in RF.

Additionally, if Pollock remains healthy, he will be taking a lot of at-bats away from Vaughn.

I understand  though that if Pollock  remains healthy and hits like a b1tch, the trade works.

So the Dodgers were offering Bellinger? 

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Not that this is an issue to be upset about, but I wonder who the odd man out is if everyone is healthy against a LHP?  You have Abreu, Eloy, Pollock, Vaughn and Engel for four spots.  It should be Engel, IMO but I don’t think the Sox would agree.

Of those 5 guys Engel is not like the others, so of course he’ll get plenty of ABs.  TLR wouldn’t want to be sensible or anything. 

36 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Of those 5 guys Engel is not like the others, so of course he’ll get plenty of ABs.  TLR wouldn’t want to be sensible or anything. 

Focus on defense? That would be the only reason to play Engle over the othets.

Edited by ptatc

With the acquisition of Pollock, Engel is now pretty much in the Billy Hamilton role. Pinch run, late inning defensive replacement, moves up the chain when there are injuries. He has the potential to be more and maybe another team tries to trade for him, but he just hasn't proven himself enough to give him regular starts over the other guys.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

Hahn easily won this trade. Good job by him getting value for Kimbrel

Trading Kimbrel for something of value is good. Whatever Pollock can give the team is a plus and certainly more than Kimbrel could give. Kimbrel was not going to generate a superstar in return. Kimbrel was weird anyway.

1 hour ago, Thad Bosley said:

So the Sox converted the #4 pick overall in the draft four years ago into a half season of Madrigal, a disastrous half season by Kimbrel, and now one, maybe two seasons of an oft-injured 34 year-old decent-at-best outfielder.  

We lost all of those games in 2017 to get the #4 pick, only for it to turn into this return.  That’s not good.  

if AJ helps win the world series, it could become less of a sharp stick in the eye. But there is no way to make it right. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

The Madrigal pick hasn't worked out with his injuries. If Pollock has a decent season and the team wins a couple playoff series, I'd claim it as a non failing use of a draft pick.

Madrigal would have been having decent seasons and helping win playoffs series for 10+ years.. There is no way to fix this mess, just try to mitigate damage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thad Bosley said:

Hey they also turned their second round pick into 60 games of nomar mazara

7 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Madrigal would have been having decent seasons and helping win playoffs series for 10+ years.. There is no way to fix this mess, just try to mitigate damage. 

I would be happy for him if it's the case. So far he hasn't made it through one season. If that happens then the Sox did make a great draft pick in by that spot. I think it has turned out to be a bad pick. It is nice to see so many defend the pick. 

Kimbrel’s tenure here was one of my least favorite for a Sox player that I can ever recall. Good riddance and good job by Hahn getting something of value for him. If Pollock can stay healthy, and maybe a platoon with Engel will help in that regard, he could be a very useful piece. 

All that being said, it’s going to suck if we have to watch Kimbrel close out the World Series winning game for the Dodgers this year. 

8 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I feel like we aren’t appreciating Pollock’s ability to hit RHP as much as we should. He had a 140 wRC+ against RHP last year. 

I guess the question is whether that was a fluke year against righties. Can he come close to that this year?

still a career 114 wRC+ vs righties. And another poster mentioned he hits the ball in the air a lot which was sorely needed to improve since our 2B only exasperated that.

22 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I would be happy for him if it's the case. So far he hasn't made it through one season. If that happens then the Sox did make a great draft pick in by that spot. I think it has turned out to be a bad pick. It is nice to see so many defend the pick. 

I hated that we were in position to have to draft a 5'7 player. Was kind of intrigued with Kelenic and Brady Singer. But Madrigal was going to work out well enough. For the record, not a Vaughn guy either...CJ Abrams. I hate wasting young assets is the main point.  As far as the Sox picks go,  the college player route as a religion was very exasperating. Although with the White Sox scouting department, I can understand why they would want to play it more safe. But they were getting ridiculous.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

12 minutes ago, Marqhead said:

Kimbrel’s tenure here was one of my least favorite for a Sox player that I can ever recall. Good riddance and good job by Hahn getting something of value for him. If Pollock can stay healthy, and maybe a platoon with Engel will help in that regard, he could be a very useful piece. 

All that being said, it’s going to suck if we have to watch Kimbrel close out the World Series winning game for the Dodgers this year. 

Honestly, meh.  He wouldn’t have closed here, and he was terrible in his short tenure, so it honestly doesn’t bother me if he’s successful elsewhere.  I’m also not overly attached to Madrigal as to be upset by the trade any longer.  I’m just relieved that I never have to watch Kimbrel blow another game in the 8th for my favourite team. 

13 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I feel like we aren’t appreciating Pollock’s ability to hit RHP as much as we should. He had a 140 wRC+ against RHP last year. 

I guess the question is whether that was a fluke year against righties. Can he come close to that this year?

Last year might be more of an outlier, but he’s always hit righties well.  If healthy he could be a big boost for a lineup less than stellar vs RHP.  

I feel like the dodgers are going to make better use of his curve but also I never want to see Kimbrel again so his success means little to me.

Pollock’s name is Allen Lorenz Pollock but goes by AJ. Curious.