Kimbrel traded for AJ Pollock

Sleepy Harold

44 minutes ago, Tony said:

And I believe the Sox at this point has done that to a decent degree, and also aren't done. 

However, by your logic, that would mean every team would have poor offseasons as my original question still stands...find me a perfect roster. 

I'll do the assignment for you and tell you there isn't one. Every team has holes. If backup catcher is one the Sox biggest, I'm very confident in their chances in 2022, as well as being confident they can fill that hole rather cheaply if desired. 

And, we can disagree to the degree that the FO has addressed the router's issues. I believe that Harrison isn't much of a fit or a solution, and I think that Pollock has his share of questions as well.

That said, at no point did I state that the object of the offseason was to make a "perfect roster;" it was your statement.

And lastly, while I believe that backup catcher is a hole, I also put it after RF and 2B.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

46 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Almost like that story of the player traded in the middle of a double header who just switched clubhouse and played in the second game for his new team.

Finally discovered one advantage of having two teams housed in same facility...ease of scouting players cost-effectively.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

For the record, with the Pollock move, Harrison isn't a starter anymore.  This pushes Leury down to 2B as his most regular position, which is fine.  While he isn't a the greatest second basemen, he is fine as your 9th best hitter.

Would imagine Harrison still starts a lot

• Like 1

Just now, Heads22 said:

Would imagine Harrison still starts a lot

Between injuries and regular rest, he will still get ABs for sure.  But he isn't going to get starters ABs without a fairly decent injury to the line up, and one that is somewhere Leury would be the primary coverage for.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

For the record, with the Pollock move, Harrison isn't a starter anymore.  This pushes Leury down to 2B as his most regular position, which is fine.  While he isn't a the greatest second basemen, he is fine as your 9th best hitter.

Did you run this thought past TLR? Just on handedness alone Harrisonis doomed.

Then again, TLR probably doesn't look at FG to notice Harrison's 2018-2020 lack of production in the first place.

Edited by caulfield12

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Almost like that story of the player  traded in the middle of a double header who just switched clubhouse and played in the second game for his new team.

Finally discovered one advantage of having two teams housed in same facility...ease of scouting players cost-effectively.

I mentioned this a couple of years ago. The Sox and DBacks used to do a lot of deals when they shared in Tucson. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

As much as TLR loves Leury, I’ll take the bet that Harrison starts more games at 2nd than Leury. Leury might play more games overall in the season much to fans chagrin. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's what most managers would do. 

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Between injuries and regular rest, he will still get ABs for sure.  But he isn't going to get starters ABs without a fairly decent injury to the line up, and one that is somewhere Leury would be the primary coverage for.

I always though his contract with AB bonuses starting at 400 made me think they didn't really consider him a "full time" starter.

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Did you run this thought past TLR? Just on handedness alone Harrisonis doomed.

Then again, TLR probably doesn't look at FG to notice Harrison's 2018-2020 lack of production in the first place.

TLR is gonna be beside himself deciding which grindy utility player he'll have to play - Leury or Harrison. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's amazing what this move does from a depth perspective for the Sox. Granted, I'm sure a lot of us would have preferred better players when talking about Garcia, Harrison, Engel, etc, but this team is definitely better than it was a few days ago.

36 minutes ago, chw42 said:

TLR is gonna be beside himself deciding which grindy utility player he'll have to play - Leury or Harrison. 

TLR has stated on the record that Leury is NOT a utility player!  Saying that is equivalent to thinking in-house RF candidates are not sufficient!!! 

Edited by RTC

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Amazing how much trash talk on Leury there is. He’s in the dream role now, and he’s a good player.

He’s useful if he’s not over exposed. I think the fear from last year is TLR will find a way to get Leury in the lineup most days, often at the expense of better players. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, tray said:

So much so that Vaughn, Sheets and Burger might  get buried under it.

Managers today love having these multi-use guys that play everywhere.   Joe Maddon liked doing that a lot.  I think they keep everyone fresh and have a backup for all occasions.  Not really my style but I suspect the 3 guys you mention along with Eloy might be used with some variety of positions.  Good teams have these problems.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

He’s useful if he’s not over exposed. I think the fear from last year is TLR will find a way to get Leury in the lineup most days, often at the expense of better players. 

Next to that in the dictionary is a picture of James McCann 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, poppysox said:

Managers today love having these multi-use guys that play everywhere.   Joe Maddon liked doing that a lot with a particular guy who was as freak because he was unusually good at it.  I think they keep everyone fresh and have a backup for all occasions.  Not really my style but I suspect the 3 guys you mention along with Eloy might be used with some variety of positions.  Good teams have these problems.

FTFY

58 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

As much as TLR loves Leury, I’ll take the bet that Harrison starts more games at 2nd than Leury. Leury might play more games overall in the season much to fans chagrin. 

Leury is underwhelming. As if other players are not versatile. If Leury was so great there would no need for Harrison. The low budget moves Hahn makes are usuallly kind of putrid. 

1 minute ago, pcq said:

Leury is underwhelming. As if other players are not versatile. If Leury was so great there would no need for Harrison. The low budget moves Hahn makes are usuallly kind of putrid. 

I’ve always been of the mindset that Leury is good in small doses. His versatility is a positive for a contending team, although I think he is putrid in the OF. I would of rather let him walk and see what someone like Romy can do in the role and UPGRADE at second.