White Sox vs Guardians GT 4/21/22

soxfan49

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

It is strange. From his comments in ST and extremely uninspired play so far this year, you have to wonder what is going on. 

And if he’s not enthused, that’s not good for the clubhouse at all.  This team just lacks energy big time this year.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Maybe these dumb assholes should have signed Conforto.  I can live with them not making another awful 2nd round pick.

Oh no, they have Colas and Cespedes. They can’t block those two. It’s pathetic! Lol

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

The current 28 man roster (or whatever the hell it is now) has way deeper issues than not having Michael Conforto on this team. 

I think things look a lot better if you have a lefty slugger in RF and then can use Engel to help in CF or face LHP.  I know what you mean though about all the minor league caliber talent on the roster.  Sadly, those guys are performing better than the main guys.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

And if he’s not enthused, that’s not good for the clubhouse at all.  This team just lacks energy big time this year.

Maybe, just maybe, when all the beat writers were saying "yay this guy will help bring some energy to this team", they were saying more about the team than just the standard praise.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Maybe these dumb assholes should have signed Conforto.  I can live with them not making another awful 2nd round pick.

I posted a list of all of the White Sox 2nd round picks since they started a draft. If the reason they didn't sign Conforto was because of the 2nd round pick, there is some serious thinking problems. Since no one has signed him, I'm guessing his shoulder must be fucked up.

They haven't drafted anyone in the 2nd round since Ryan Sweeney who has a 2.0 WAR for their career. Sweeney's was 6.9. The only  other 2 with a 2.0 career WAR or higher since they drafted Terry Forster in 1970 were Jeff Weaver, who they didn't sign, and Bob Wickman who they traded before he ever played a game for the team.

Edited by Dick Allen

Just now, fathom said:

I actually do think that's where media/hype plays into things. 

There was a weird feeling going into this year. Fans weren't excited like they should have been. Some of it had to do with the lockout, but a lot of it had to do with the feeling the Sox really didn't do anything to help the team. There wasn't all this buzz going into what should be billed as season with World Series hopes. It just didn't feel like that for whatever reason, and I think it shows. 

• Like 5

Just now, fathom said:

I think things look a lot better if you have a lefty slugger in RF and then can use Engel to help in CF or face LHP.  I know what you mean though about all the minor league caliber talent on the roster.  Sadly, those guys are performing better than the main guys.

But that's kind of the issue. It's the core guys playing like shit. Adding Conforto into the mix with Anderson-Abreu-Eloy-Moncada all AWOL isn't going to impact this team all that much. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tony said:

There was a weird feeling going into this year. Fans weren't excited like they should have been. Some of it had to do with the lockout, but a lot of it had to do with the feeling the Sox really didn't do anything to help the team. There wasn't all this buzz going into what should be billed as season with World Series hopes. It just didn't feel like that for whatever reason, and I think it shows. 

The word I heard a few weeks ago from someone who knows baseball stuff is the whole organization was way too complacent.  The person HATED their offseason, no shock.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Maybe they should think about bringing some of those guys up, just to see what they have and if lightning catches in a bottle or like you said the organization is too complacent to do anything.

Edited by maloney.adam

Just now, Tony said:

Well, a strongly led team with a professional manager - this isn't going to matter, because even if they have a bad day or whatever, they're going to come in and handle themselves as professionals. Or at least they're going to try to even if it doesn't work every time. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

But that's kind of the issue. It's the core guys playing like shit. Adding Conforto into the mix with Anderson-Abreu-Eloy-Moncada all AWOL isn't going to impact this team all that much. 

I’m less worried about the first two weeks and more concerned about things going forward.  Obviously if the core guys suck all year, this season will be a massive bust.  

• Like 1

I’m less worried about the first two weeks and more concerned about things going forward.  Obviously if the core guys suck all year, this season will be a massive bust.  

I think things could easily snowball. 

• Like 1

The word I heard a few weeks ago from someone who knows baseball stuff is the whole organization was way too complacent.  The person HATED their offseason, no shock.

Seems pretty evident looking back from post 2021 ASB to today.  Organizational hubris, from the top down?