No. 5

The Beast

Yeah...apparently its Scott Schoeneweis' job to lose....which for now I don't have a problem with. But lets not let the experiment last too long to where it becomes a #5 Vacuum hole for the season, a la 2003.

Well we can't do much worse than this year. I believe our 5th starters only won around 5 games. We have some decent options already.

Schoenweis

Cotts

Rauch

Wright

Does anyone know what is going on with Kolhmeier and Cooper this year, we do have room for one more guy on the 40 man roster as of now?

Well we can't do much worse than this year.  I believe our 5th starters only won around 5 games.  We have some decent options already.

Schoenweis

Cotts

Rauch

Wright

Does anyone know what is going on with Kolhmeier and Cooper this year, we do have room for one more guy on the 40 man roster as of now?

Decent options?

Cotts? Wright? Schno?

OMFG....we will be as bad as last year.

Let Cotts learn to throw a strike in the minors, let Wright operate out of the bullpen and let Schno stay in the BP too. If Gordon leaves, that is even more important.

Get a #5 as a FA. The last time Kenny took a flyer on a #5, we got Loaiza. Go for someone like that, an experienced vet who has bounced aroudn the league but can get us 8-10 wins

I'm worried about having a solid top 3. I expect Mark to rebound and have a 16-20 win season. I expect Cy-Lo :headbang to come back to earth and win 15. If Colon is signed I expect a 16-20 from him. After that I think 4 & 5 is open. Without Colon we have 3, 4, and 5 all up for grabs. At this point I wouldn't pen anyone into those roles.

Well we can't do much worse than this year.  I believe our 5th starters only won around 5 games.  We have some decent options already.

Schoenweis

Cotts

Rauch

Wright

Decent options?

Cotts? Wright? Schno?

Let Cotts learn to throw a strike in the minors, let Wright operate out of the bullpen and let Schno stay in the BP too. If Gordon leaves, that is even more important.

Get a #5 as a FA. The last time Kenny took a flyer on a #5, we got Loaiza. Go for someone like that, an experienced vet who has bounced aroudn the league but can get us 8-10 wins

Bulls***

Wright's elbow was f***ed up during ST, sat out a month, and then tried to come back.....just a good example of a guy that got roughed up early and had a sophomore slump.

Cotts came up and pitched like s*** last year probably because he was a little too unagressive, and he apparently nibbled(damn school and no broadcasts didn't help me....I couldn't watch games). He goes after hitters and keeps them off balance enough(ala Mark Redman), he can be a very effective pitcher. And from what I've heard, he has dynamite stuff too.

Schoeneweis is a guy that has nasty stuff and has a place on this team no matter what. He's had a little success as a starter before, and nothing says he won't have success again.

Then you have Diaz, Pacheco, etc, and then probably a few NRI's that will come in and have a shot at it too(guys that have good stuff but have never put it together, ala Esteban Loaiza) or guys that are older and still want to pitch(possibly a guy like Rick Reed).

If we don't have a good 5th starter, obviously considering he is a 5th starter, and we have to go through what we did last year, I will seriously wonder if we have anyone with a brain in the front office.

I'm worried about having a solid top 3. I expect Mark to rebound and have a 16-20 win season. I expect Cy-Lo  :headbang  to come back to earth and win 15. If Colon is signed I expect a 16-20 from him. After that I think 4 & 5 is open. Without Colon we have 3, 4, and 5 all up for grabs. At this point I wouldn't pen anyone into those roles.

Did you forget about Jon Garland?

Schoenweis

Cotts

Rauch

Wright

Decent options?

Cotts? Wright? Schno?

Your last sentence just described Shoney.

I think you are underestimating Schoeneweis at this point. I believe he is the farovite for the 5th spot, and he would be my top choice because you know what you are going to get opposed to rookies. Schoeneweis average numbers as a starter are 8-10 5.25 ERA, which isn't good, but the point that you guys are missing is that it is a DRASTIC improvement over the 3-11 6.75 ERA that the 5th starters combined to put up in 2003. A 5.25 ERA is ABOVE AVERAGE for a 5th starter in the AL. You guys really don't understand that EVERY team has question marks about their 5th starter and putting someone decent like Schoeneweis would be the Sox best option and give them their best shot at winning right away. Not only that but I love the idea of another lefty in the starting rotation.

One guy that I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox take a flyer on is Alverez. He appears to be completely healthy and was one of the more dominating starters in the 2nd half last year. He is also a lefty, which I love. I think he has a chance to be next years Loaiza and if he could be signed for under 2M I think it would be a wise investment.

KW said the day he acquired Schoenweis that he was projected to be the 5th starter next year. Here's my guess for the rotation in 2004:

MB

Loaiza

Garland

Wright

Schoenweis

Here's a better one, if Colon takes our offer:

Colon

MB

Loaiza

Garland

Schoenweis

That's much better, would everyone agree?

The wild card to our rotation will be acquisitions if/when we trade Ordonez, which I think is more than likely going to happen.

ApplingsRevenge