If the Sox trade for Juan Soto we have a chance.

Jerksticks

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

I would say no, but my grand plan is not to trade eloy but instead Giolito and then go after Perez, in the hopes we sign a pitcher in 2022-3 class which looks great.

And trade Giolito + for pieces to get Soto, and then trading Eloy to get Perez all feels like too much of a shakeup. But if sox go to Giolito and say this is our best long-term offer, and he declines, you can then trade him. I mean...I'd trade him to the Mariners.

I look at it this way. The Rangers have got tremendous value from Perez.He's their Cueto. However you are likely looking at regression from Perez and Cueto in  the 2nd half and the Sox have no idea if Lynn can pitch effectively in the 2nd half . Plus there's the whole Kopech IP problem. Plus Martin Perez has slayed the Astros this year with his 2 starts against them.

The Sox are going to need more starting pitching to contend not less this year and some salary relief to afford Soto for the next 2.5 years. Start with Eloy's salary and go from there. With Soto you don't need Eloy anyway. Trading Giolito just adds to the starting pitching problem. I think Giolito is a little too close to free agency for the Nats to want him.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

On 7/20/2022 at 12:08 PM, Jack Parkman said:

This is what I think is going to happen. Soto will be a Yankee. 

They have the farm to pull it off, thinking potentially something like this.  I'd imagine they aren't keen on dealing Volpe, however. 

Edited by JoeCredeYes
regain attachment quota
  • TLR 1

1 hour ago, FLsoxfan said:

Sox should look into seeing what they can get for Giolito and then use that as ammo for Soto to try and keep Vaughn. Have to find another SP after that but if you’re comfortable with Cease/Cueto/Kopech as a top 3 and hoping Lynn gets it back you still could have a formidable postseason rotation.

That front 3 SP rotation plus Soto gets you nowhere.  

There would be no point trading for Soto if the target isn't winning a WS 2022, 2023, 2024.

2 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

They have the farm to pull it off, thinking potentially something like this.  I'd imagine they aren't keen on dealing Volpe, however. 

image.png

So we are trading Crochet and Ramos for less than half a season of Aaron Judge?

1 minute ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Does seem highly unlikely, but so did dealing Soto until a week ago. 

The yankees are on pace for like 120 wins. They aren't going to play around like that when they are the yankees and everyone else are not.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I remember same was said about Betts. "He's testing FA no matter what!"

We know what Soto wants. He just turned down an offer to get the most guaranteed money of all time. He said no.

He wants guaranteed money + highest AAV. He wants precedent. Boras wants precedent.
You give him 13 years $475 gives you 36.5 Mill / yr and highest guarantees ever. It doesn't beat Scherzer but we know that.

Does that get it done? You may need to go to 13 years $500 mill ($38 mill). That gives you the WOW round number. That gives you the highest position player AV. I guarantee he doesn't turn that down and goes for FA with 2 years riding on health.

Seeing that both the team and Boras mentioned the $43.3 million per season number, I am thinking it is going to take something that gets him $44+ million a year to sign him.

26 minutes ago, bmags said:

Eloy is completely cost controlled. His options are team options and he never has an annual cost that exceeds AJ Pollock. He was still a league average hitter last year and still has potential someone will bet on out of a team that preaches ground balls.

I would say a team like the giants would go after Eloy. I could see the Rangers going after Eloy. Red sox. Orioles.

Could they get Kyle Harrison + Patrick Bailey for eloy? I think so, and that adds a top 100 guy, a former first round pick rehab project, and opens up an outfield spot for Pollock/Vaughn.

Interesting.  If that is indeed the case, I hope they go for it.  Do you think they could get anything worthwhile for Yoan?

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

That front 3 SP rotation plus Soto gets you nowhere.  

There would be no point trading for Soto if the target isn't winning a WS 2022, 2023, 2024.

Cueto

Cease

Kopech

Lynn

Trade Acquisition
Martin | Lopez

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Seeing that both the team and Boras mentioned the $43.3 million per season number, I am thinking it is going to take something that gets him $44+ million a year to sign him.

I know that's what Boras said, but I don't think that's what it will take. The Nats have an extremely strong relationship with Boras. They didn't give that contract to boras thinking he'd sign. They did it for ass covering. They offered a record breaking contract, and a strong offer. They knew before it was offered that wouldn't get it done. Now they get to say "hey, we tried, he said no" and boras gets to say "we said no to this extremely high number".

But would soto turn down the apples to apples numbers o what I did? I highly doubt it.

36 minutes ago, bmags said:

Eloy is completely cost controlled. His options are team options and he never has an annual cost that exceeds AJ Pollock. He was still a league average hitter last year and still has potential someone will bet on out of a team that preaches ground balls.

I would say a team like the giants would go after Eloy. I could see the Rangers going after Eloy. Red sox. Orioles.

Could they get Kyle Harrison + Patrick Bailey for eloy? I think so, and that adds a top 100 guy, a former first round pick rehab project, and opens up an outfield spot for Pollock/Vaughn.

The Giants seem to be going after every hitter on our team and that scares the hell out of me. It's like when the Rays ask you about some 20 year old in A ball that isn't in your top 30.

Edited by almagest
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, almagest said:

The Giants seem to be going after every hitter on our team and that scares the hell out of me. It's like when the Rays ask you about some 20 year old in A ball that isn't in your top 30.

or preller asks you about a recently signed 16 year old 😥

but if sox aren't going to try to use Eloy correctly, give him to someone who will in exchange for parts to get the un-fuck-uppable Juan Soto.

31 minutes ago, bmags said:

or preller asks you about a recently signed 16 year old 😥

but if sox aren't going to try to use Eloy correctly, give him to someone who will in exchange for parts to get the un-fuck-uppable Juan Soto.

I wish there was a crying reaction for this one.

For Eloy - I think the Sox are using him fine, he just can't stay healthy. His second biggest injury was running to first base.

Edited by almagest

This entire thread, in all reality, is nothing but mental masturbation. 

The Sox can't match the farms and won't match the pocket books of other teams. 

Jerry wouldn't sign off on acquiring Corbin anyway. He wouldn't take Willis for Miggy. What makes you think this is any different? 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

28 minutes ago, almagest said:

I wish there was a crying reaction for this one.

For Eloy - I think the Sox are using him fine, he just can't stay healthy. His second biggest injury was running to first base.

He's a big giant man that's hitting 60% ground balls when he plays. He doesn't need to be josh donaldson but he needs to get more fly balls.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

He's a big giant man that's hitting 60% ground balls when he plays. He doesn't need to be josh donaldson but he needs to get more fly balls.

That's absolutely true. Wonder if he was like that with the Cubs

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I wish we could add polls mid thread.

Interested to know a breakdown of the thought process of:

- I would like the white sox to go after Juan Soto because it is a rare opportunity and he would make a difference (even if I'm aware it is unlikely and jerry does not sign $500mill checks)
- I do not want the white sox to go after Soto because if the sox will get fleeced
- I do not want the white sox to go after Soto because it isn't a good idea
- I feel a need to say it isn't going to happen and need to have an option or else I will just write it out over and over again as if it is very compelling.

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This entire thread, in all reality, is nothing but mental masturbation. 

The Sox can't match the farms and won't match the pocket books of other teams. 

Jerry wouldn't sign off on acquiring Corbin anyway. He wouldn't take Willis for Miggy. What makes you think this is any different? 

• Like 1