Dead money on the White Sox

ron883

The amount of dead money on this team is ridiculous. We all know this. It isn't surprising. Below is a tally of all players that have a negative bWAR or fWAR. These players have been completely worthless.

Yasmani Grandal - 18.25m

Yoan Moncada - 13.8m

AJ Pollock - 13m

Eloy Jimenez - 7.33m

Lance Lynn - 18.5m

Joe Kelly - 7m

Leury Garcia - 5.5m

Dallas Keuchel - 18m

This totals to $101.38m of completely dead money. The sad part is, EVERYBODY aside from Dallas Keuchel is under contract next season. I just don't see how this team isn't a complete disaster next year as well. Yoan and Eloy will probably improve, but all the other players will be even worse most likely. Tony sucks, but Rick Hahn's ineptitude cannot be overstated. He completely botched this rebuild.

• Fire 1
  • TLR 1

28 minutes ago, ron883 said:

The amount of dead money on this team is ridiculous. We all know this. It isn't surprising. Below is a tally of all players that have a negative bWAR or fWAR. These players have been completely worthless.

Yasmani Grandal - 18.25m

Yoan Moncada - 13.8m

AJ Pollock - 13m

Eloy Jimenez - 7.33m

Lance Lynn - 18.5m

Joe Kelly - 7m

Leury Garcia - 5.5m

Dallas Keuchel - 18m

This totals to $101.38m of completely dead money. The sad part is, EVERYBODY aside from Dallas Keuchel is under contract next season. I just don't see how this team isn't a complete disaster next year as well. Yoan and Eloy will probably improve, but all the other players will be even worse most likely. Tony sucks, but Rick Hahn's ineptitude cannot be overstated. He completely botched this rebuild.

Hahn deserves the criticism for this, absolutely.

Having said that, I was optimistic about the performance for most of this list in 2022, aside from Leury and Keuchel. The rest of these guys have just been so disappointing compared to expectations. But it's Hahn's job to find market inefficiencies and exploit them, not be a victim of them. No excuses.

Edited by KrankinSox
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, ron883 said:

Yasmani Grandal - 18.25m

Yoan Moncada - 13.8m

AJ Pollock - 13m

Eloy Jimenez - 7.33m

Lance Lynn - 18.5m

Joe Kelly - 7m

Leury Garcia - 5.5m

Dallas Keuchel - 18m

There miight be reason for optimism if Lynn, Moncada and Kelly bounce back, which they are capable of, but I do believe Hahn got a bit carried away with the extensions, especially Eloy. I believe he would still be arb eligible. 

Yasmani Grandal - 18.25m

Yoan Moncada - 13.8m

AJ Pollock - 13m

Eloy Jimenez - 7.33m

Lance Lynn - 18.5m

Joe Kelly - 7m

To be fair we all liked these. I blame Hahn for not putting a coaching and training staff around these players. I also blame him for not making analytics more important.

25 minutes ago, Flash said:

There miight be reason for optimism if Lynn, Moncada and Kelly bounce back, which they are capable of, but I do believe Hahn got a bit carried away with the extensions, especially Eloy. I believe he would still be arb eligible. 

You even thought this at the time it was signed?  And even after his realllly good rookie season?  And then still after his really good covid season?

57 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

You even thought this at the time it was signed?  And even after his realllly good rookie season?  And then still after his really good covid season?

Doubtful, he was #4 in ROY voting in 2019 and then won a Silver Slugger in 2020. He had all the signs of an offensive force before cratering to what he is today.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ron883 said:

Yasmani Grandal - 18.25m

Yoan Moncada - 13.8m

AJ Pollock - 13m

Eloy Jimenez - 7.33m

Lance Lynn - 18.5m

Joe Kelly - 7m

Leury Garcia - 5.5m

Dallas Keuchel - 18m

Ehhh....I don't think its unreasonable to expect all the players you just listed that are under control for 2023 (Yas, Yoan, Eloy, Lynn, Kelly and even Leury) to be better in 2023 than they have YTD in 2022.  Wil they all earn their contracts in 23?  Unlikely, but I wouldn't be shy to wager they'll all produce positive fWAR in 2023.  So while the overarching point is still valid - plenty of poorly allocated dollars - really none of these guys are killing the Sox unless 2022 version of Yas is who we get moving forward.  Even Lynn has been FAR better than his numbers indicate.  

6 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Would he have not achieved the same results were he still under his rookie contract? 

15 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Five Highest Paid White Sox 2022: $88.4M / -0.5 bWAR: Abreu (2.4 bWAR); Lynn (-0.7); Grandal (-1.1); Keuchel (-1.2); Pollock (0.1).

:djuhohgif:

That's pretty incredible, for all the wrong reasons.