2023 MLB Draft thread

southsider2k5

If they for a player and do an under-slot deal, that would have to be something that had been thoroughly planned and then worked out with the player before the draft, right?  
Now I doubt that do that, because they never have (as far as I know).

Anyway, no corner infielders, free swingers nor over-used pitchers. 

On 6/11/2023 at 12:12 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I get that. I’m just not sure that guy exists at 15 in this draft. They can easily do that in rounds 3-20. I like what they accomplished last year 

What is that, Jimmy? Taking pitchers?

On 6/11/2023 at 10:05 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Hahn could overrule him and decide he wants a college pitcher who will move thru the system quickly.  Happens all the time. 

Which person is responsible for the 5'6 zero pop slap hitter we picked at #4 that is currently patrolling the minor leagues of the cubs.  Because whomever that guy is he sucks at talent evaluation.  

3 hours ago, oldsox said:

What is that, Jimmy? Taking pitchers?

I like the guys and strategy. Schultz was a super high upside guy in 1st. But they followed it up with a high upside, injured college starter in Pallette and then insulated with more high floor pitching like Cannon and Schweitzer. Eric Adler is electric out of bullpen and he’ll be in majors if he throws strikes. Guys like Jacob Burke, Shane Murphy are interesting on day three too. I like that they mostly played it straight and didn’t punt like 4-10. 

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

Which person is responsible for the 5'6 zero pop slap hitter we picked at #4 that is currently patrolling the minor leagues of the cubs.  Because whomever that guy is he sucks at talent evaluation.  

Hostetler was shifted over to special advisor to Sr vp/gm with an emphasis in pro scouting in July 2019, which we all know how that's gone the last number of years.

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

How we feeling about Blake Mitchell round these parts? Feel like we've seen the name thrown around with the Sox lately. Im intrigued, but what a super risky demographic.

I mocked him in my latest. Usually I’m opposed to prep catching but the bat will play in an outfield corner so it’s worth it in my opinion. I’d prefer Houck, Miller or Nimmala still. Could be a college bat though. Someone will fall to them. 

On 6/17/2023 at 11:08 AM, DirtySox said:

How we feeling about Blake Mitchell round these parts? Feel like we've seen the name thrown around with the Sox lately. Im intrigued, but what a super risky demographic.

As it’s been said here people say he can play the OF if the C doesn’t work out but he looks like a long term fit at C. 

Id rather have one of the prep SS’s/CF’s but I’d rather Mitchell than any of the college bats.

I imagine you can get Mitchell at a discount and sign more prep arms/bats throughout the draft. 

9 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

As it’s been said here people say he can play the OF if the C doesn’t work out but he looks like a long term fit at C. 

Id rather have one of the prep SS’s/CF’s but I’d rather Mitchell than any of the college bats.

I imagine you can get Mitchell at a discount and sign more prep arms/bats throughout the draft. 

Exactly. Mike Shirley loved Tyler Soderstrom. Would you rather have him or Garrett Crochet right now? 

5 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Depending how the board falls I think under slotting a college bat is the way they go.  I'm good with it so long as they don't pass on one of the HS SS.  

There’s just zero reason to take a college corner. If Houck and Nimmala are off the board, I’d much rather go Jacob Gonzalez or Matt Shaw than one of the college corners. If you’re willing to take a corner, take Aidan Miller. This isn’t that hard. 

Here’s how I see it right now: the consensus top five will be gone. Let’s also say that Kyle Teel, Enrique Bradfield, Noble Meyer, Rhett Lowder and Chase Dollander are also off the board. That leaves one of these five players for the White Sox: Colin Houck, Arjun Nimmala, Jacob Gonzalez, Matt Shaw and Aidan Miller. One of them should be the pick. 

Edited by Y2Jimmy0
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don’t think he gets past Arizona 

Which would move Colin Houck down the board. 

On 6/19/2023 at 6:23 AM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Exactly. Mike Shirley loved Tyler Soderstrom. Would you rather have him or Garrett Crochet right now? 

Soderstrom. I would’ve drafted him and immediately moved him off of C and put him in the OF. 

Edited by Joshua Strong

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

There’s just zero reason to take a college corner. If Houck and Nimmala are off the board, I’d much rather go Jacob Gonzalez or Matt Shaw than one of the college corners. If you’re willing to take a corner, take Aidan Miller. This isn’t that hard. 

Here’s how I see it right now: the consensus top five will be gone. Let’s also say that Kyle Teel, Enrique Bradfield, Noble Meyer, Rhett Lowder and Chase Dollander are also off the board. That leaves one of these five players for the White Sox: Colin Houck, Arjun Nimmala, Jacob Gonzalez, Matt Shaw and Aidan Miller. One of them should be the pick. 

Josh Jung was a college corner and he's damn good and the likely rookie of the year so it makes some sense.  Gonzalez stinks.  I wouldn't take him in the first round.  Shaw is another undersized college utility player with a max effort swing.  I put him and Tommy Troy in the Keston Hiura, Nick Madrigal, Nick Gonzalez, Will Wilson, Justin Foscue, Nick Loftin, Jace Jung bucket of overdrafted college hitters whose swings don't translate to the next level.  Miller hardly played this spring because of a hand injury so they had very few quality looks to draft him that high.  Besides there's not much difference between him and Morales except Morales is a much better athlete and has a longer history of performance.

I said I would be disappointed if they passed on one of the HS SS (Houck, Nimmala, McGonigale) for an underslot college hitter but I understand why they would do it.  In this draft the third tier could have as many as 15 players in it.  If they have all these guys evaluated the same they may as well take the cheapest one which is likely a college hitter and then get a dudes in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. That strategy isn't hard either. 

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Josh Jung was a college corner and he's damn good and the likely rookie of the year so it makes some sense.  Gonzalez stinks.  I wouldn't take him in the first round.  Shaw is another undersized college utility player with a max effort swing.  I put him and Tommy Troy in the Keston Hiura, Nick Madrigal, Nick Gonzalez, Will Wilson, Justin Foscue, Nick Loftin, Jace Jung bucket of overdrafted college hitters whose swings don't translate to the next level.  Miller hardly played this spring because of a hand injury so they had very few quality looks to draft him that high.  Besides there's not much difference between him and Morales except Morales is a much better athlete and has a longer history of performance.

I said I would be disappointed if they passed on one of the HS SS (Houck, Nimmala, McGonigale) for an underslot college hitter but I understand why they would do it.  In this draft the third tier could have as many as 15 players in it.  If they have all these guys evaluated the same they may as well take the cheapest one which is likely a college hitter and then get a dudes in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. That strategy isn't hard either. 

That’s fair. I have no confidence that the White Sox org will maximize Morales. He has chase issues and doesn’t control the strike zone. They won’t fix those issues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

A lot of people had Jung as a top 5 pick, he went 8th. He wasn’t projected to go in the back of the first round like Taylor and Morales. 

44 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Skenes vs Lowder tonight.  The draft should be in Omaha the days before the CWS starts but dumbfuck Manfred just doesn't get it and he never will.  

You could argue that the later draft has benefitted from the players who are being picked. Everyone else hates it though. Scouting departments are already working on next year's draft due to the calendar as you know. It's just not necessary to have this thing in July 

• Heads22 pinned this topic
  • bmags unpinned this topic