Trade Rumors Catch-all

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Mariners: Jarred Kelenic, OF
Under club control through at least 2028
Kelenic has struggled mightily during his stints with Seattle, and while nobody is ready to give up on the Mariners’ former No. 1 prospect (and No. 4 overall in MLB), a change of scenery might be good for the 23-year-old. Mariners GM Jerry Dipoto is one of the more creative executives in the game, so anything is possible between now and Aug. 2.

Cubs should trade Madrigal for him.

• Haha 1

If you’re wondering why the Yankees would consider a Gallo for Pollock move, this is a general reflection of how all of New York feels about him:

Pollock’s player option remains a legit obstacle to such a trade, but it’s still an interesting idea that would theoretically make sense for both clubs otherwise.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think you can option Leury at this point in his career.  If true, he basically handcuffs the roster and makes it challenging to address both RF & 2B because we already have eleven other guys who have secured spots (Pito, Big Energy, Anderson, Yoan, Eloy, Vaughn, Robert, Pollock, Engel, Grandal, backup catcher).  You’re basically forced to go with a five man bench or remove one of the other guys from the roster.  Honestly, I think we only see one LH bat added and they go with what we have at the other spot.

You're right in that Leury is well past the 5 years of service time limit for being able to be optioned. If Mendick weren't injured he could easily be DFA though.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you’re wondering why the Yankees would consider a Gallo for Pollock move, this is a general reflection of how all of New York feels about him:

Pollock’s player option remains a legit obstacle to such a trade, but it’s still an interesting idea that would theoretically make sense for both clubs otherwise.

Pollock has a .560 OPS vs RHP and Gallo is at .710, so it 100% makes sense for the Sox. Sox may have to kick in some money to cover the buyout but there's really no reason for either team to not do this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CentralChamps21 said:

You're right in that Leury is well past the 5 years of service time limit for being able to be optioned. If Mendick weren't injured he could easily be DFA though.

That would require Hahn admitting he made a big mistake and he’s traditionally be stubborn in that regard.  It took Keuchel multiple months of being completely useless plus being a clubhouse cancer to get let go.  Legend is adored in the clubhouse, at least by Tony and that probably matters more than anything.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That would require Hahn admitting he made a big mistake and he’s traditionally be stubborn in that regard.  It took Keuchel multiple months of being completely useless plus being a clubhouse cancer to get let go.  Legend is adored in the clubhouse, at least by Tony and that probably matters more than anything.

If Lynn hadn't been injured they likely would have pulled the trigger on Keuchel faster. There was literally nobody to eat those innings.

1 minute ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If Lynn hadn't been injured they likely would have pulled the trigger on Keuchel faster. There was literally nobody to eat those innings.

That’s fair, but they were prepared to enter the season with Keuchel with only VV as insurance.  Regardless, I’m not optimistic they would DFA Leury this early.

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That would require Hahn admitting he made a big mistake 

I felt like the Leury signing was forced by ownership.

It seemed like clubs were making on honest effort to pay veterans good money prior to the lockout to gain rapport headed into the negotiations.  The flurry of moves made very little sense otherwise.

The Legend's deal came right before the cutoff and in the scheme of things is nothing when billions were at stake.  It really felt like an unnecessary extra year was thrown on that deal to force Garcia's hand.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think you can option Leury at this point in his career.  If true, he basically handcuffs the roster and makes it challenging to address both RF & 2B because we already have eleven other guys who have secured spots (Pito, Big Energy, Anderson, Yoan, Eloy, Vaughn, Robert, Pollock, Engel, Grandal, backup catcher).  You’re basically forced to go with a five man bench or remove one of the other guys from the roster.  Honestly, I think we only see one LH bat added and they go with what we have at the other spot.

Then eat his contract or eat some of it in a trade. DO anything to rid yourself of him. I know they won't do it but they should. Once again that ridiculous Hahn or TLR contract for him sucks and the previous trade deadline and off season from Hell persists in handicapping the window.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

I just don't see any of these options(short of Soto) make me think we would be better than Houston or the Yankees who will also add at the deadline.  You aren't winning a championship with Moncada, Grandal, Pollock, and Eloy way below expectations (or needs) and Crochet, Bummer, and Robert are injured.  Yet at three games back it is hard to sell.  I find them unwatchable/unlikeable a lot of times with shitty defense and poor fundamentals.  I guess I would just let them ride it out and hope for internal improvement.  They probably grab a lefty reliever.  I would hate to give up anything meaningful just to lose early in playoffs.  They can do that with what they have.

• Like 2

Imagine how that guy would have reacted to intentionally walking a guy with 2 strikes on him.

• Haha 1

That’s fair, but they were prepared to enter the season with Keuchel with only VV as insurance.  Regardless, I’m not optimistic they would DFA Leury this early.

Speaking of VV, is he dead?  I know he's on IL and frankly don't really care too much about him, but is he coming back at some point?  An extra arm for September? 

And the Sox aren't DFAing Leury (not directed at you CWS).  It just isn't happening.  He's been grossly overused but he's still a useful 26th man.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

No way he's getting DFA'd  Tony is grooming Leury for Jerry so Leury can take over as Manager in two years when Tony finally calls it quits.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
add

26 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Imagine how that guy would have reacted to intentionally walking a guy with 2 strikes on him.

We don't have to imagine because we have all acted the same way against Sox players with better averages than Joey Galo.

add

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Speaking of VV, is he dead?  I know he's on IL and frankly don't really care too much about him, but is he coming back at some point?  An extra arm for September? 

And the Sox aren't DFAing Leury (not directed at you CWS).  It just isn't happening.  He's been grossly overused but he's still a useful 26th man.  

VV supposedly "has blisters on his fingers"

55 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

I just don't see any of these options(short of Soto) make me think we would be better than Houston or the Yankees who will also add at the deadline.  You aren't winning a championship with Moncada, Grandal, Pollock, and Eloy way below expectations (or needs) and Crochet, Bummer, and Robert are injured.  Yet at three games back it is hard to sell.  I find them unwatchable/unlikeable a lot of times with shitty defense and poor fundamentals.  I guess I would just let them ride it out and hope for internal improvement.  They probably grab a lefty reliever.  I would hate to give up anything meaningful just to lose early in playoffs.  They can do that with what they have.

Think of the trade deadline as a chance to right some wrongs over the last 2 disastrous periods, last years trade deadline and the off season. Find some LHH like Wendle and Happ. Delete Leury and Sheets from the 26. Rent a guy like Martin Perez known for his success this year against the Astros and a lefty reliever like Matt Moore. Or they can go for some youth like Jesus Sanchez and Ken Okbert from the Marlins along with Wendle getting 3 guys from one source would be fine. No idea who we give up for those 3 since Sanchez was a 55FV prospect has many years of control as does Okbert. Or discuss Chisholm. He's supposed to be back some time in September.

Just now, A-Train to 35th said:

VV supposedly "has blisters on his fingers"

Haha yeah.  Sox will send VV out for a rehab assignment on August 12th for his 20 day rehab so he can come back September 1 when rosters expand.  

1 hour ago, BamaDoc said:

It is a bummer. As we entered the offseason I think we all wanted the sox sights set on now beating the best teams in baseball. Now they've lowered to try and take the division by boostering depth.

Balancing the sox weaknesses (LH power, power with positional versatility, starting pitching) is expensive, whereas the cheapest depth are cheap because they are all stuff the sox have (no power, low obp guys)

It sucks the braves won, because they are the worst narrative for Hahn to follow. But it is true that tinkering around the margins may pay off if moncada, eloy, grandal, pollock start to match the performances of TA, Robert, Abreu, Vaughn.

I still think the defensive limitations are an issue, and despite offensively providing little, Laureano could really help us break out of our outfield log jam and really define some roles. But you'd want to get rid of pollock.

It would probably make more sense to be sellers. However, unfortunately the pieces that should be moved aren't performing well enough to net much of value. An inexpensive rental, or two, might be alright, but beyond that I hope they just go with what they have. If Moncada and Grandal can provide something close to their projected production, that would solve the lack of LH power. If the rest of the core can stay on the field and produce, the Sox would have more than enough offense. If Bummer can't return before September, August could be pretty challenging for the pen, with no southpaws but Banks.  So, maybe a lefty reliever and another starter is about all that I hope for.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lillian said:

It would probably make more sense to be sellers. However, unfortunately the pieces that should be moved aren't performing well enough to net much of value. An inexpensive rental, or two, might be alright, but beyond that I hope they just go with what they have. If Moncada and Grandal can provide something close to their projected production, that would solve the lack of LH power. If the rest of the core can stay on the field and produce, the Sox would have more than enough offense. If Bummer can't return before September, August could be pretty challenging for the pen, with no southpaws but Banks.  So, maybe a lefty reliever and another starter is about all that I hope for.

There is a 0% chance the Sox are selling.  They are 3 GB from the division and the WC.  You play the game to go to the playoffs.  They aren't waving the flag.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

There is a 0% chance the Sox are selling.  They are 3 GB from the division and the WC.  You play the game to go to the playoffs.  They aren't waving the flag.  

My expectations is they will try and land Quintana and another mediocre bullpen arm, when we need outfielders.  If Robert doesn't get better soon, OF will be a major need as it was before he went down and now only magnified with his absence. 

sp
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I agree with you that they will almost certainly not sell off any pieces. My point was that even if they wanted to, the pieces that should be moved are not either healthy, or performing enough, to net much of value.  When I expressed my personal preference for selling, I had names like Pollock, Leury, Harrison, Grandal and Moncada in mind. Given their contracts and their inability to either stay on the field and, or provide production, commensurate with their contracts, I'd prefer that they not be on next year's roster. Eloy is a special case, given his age, potential 40 HR power and freakish injury history. This front office has a lot of work to do, but I don't see much opportunity, at the present time.

• Like 1