Trade Rumors Catch-all

Chicago White Sox

22 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

??  Those are exactly the guys we should trade (not Eloy, as that's clearly selling low). You want to trade our best prospects.
Sheets, Burger, Crochet and a couple of low minors guys for Reynolds?  fine.

And BTW, we're mired in mediocrity because spent $36 million on Leury, Harrison, Kelly and Pollock, the latter of whom suddenly can neither hit nor defend.

It's ok I don't expect Hahn to trade Montgomery or Colas. He'll likely work around the fringes as usual if they do anything at all. Quintana, Naquin and a relief pitcher and we all should just enjoy the mediocrity going forward for the next 7 years. But we'll still have Montgomery and Colas during our mediocrity. And don't get me wrong I love those 2 guys but if they are surrounded by a bunch of crap it doesn't do the Sox much good.  I guess we're stuck hoping Pollock ,Moncada, Giolito and Lynn and Eloy all can stay healthy and have much better 2nd halves and win enough games to win the division while Minnesota and other teams make better moves.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

Want to see the worst trade proposal ever written?

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-make-some-deadline-trades/

I assume you're talking about this one:

The Chicago White Sox acquire OF Ian Happ from the Chicago Cubs for P Jared Kelley, OF Oscar Colas, and P Norge Vera

Yea that one sucks !

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If that is the price for a mediocre player, the Sox better sit on the sidelines during this lost season.

Happ's pacing out to like a 4 win season and he's been above a 125 wRC+ in 3 of the last 4 years. Calling Happ mediocre is definitely selling him short.

Edited by maxjusttyped
  • Like 1

But seriously - Happ is on track for about a 4 b/fWAR season, which is really nice, but he's around for two more years at most and he's going to get more expensive. He also doesn't have any track record to repeat this performance, and he sucks on defense. This trade would leave the Sox with a RF hole still, and it would trade away their heir apparent to that position.

Someone like Burger would be a better fit for a Happ trade, I think. Cubs can play him every day at 3B/1B/DH, and I'd bet he'd be a solid contributor for them. Include a lower level arm (Kelly/Thompson/Dahlquist, for example) and I think you have a start.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

if anyone wants to know why I always would rather max out for a star, it's because paying 1/2 the price for 1/3 the player sucks.

Paying up for a star is almost always the correct play whether that's in FA or a trade, I agree. However, the Sox aren't going to be shopping in that bucket until there's an ownership change. We all know that.

Here's the thing.  The Sox attendance is suffering.  This can go one of two ways.  Either they go cheap to catch up with the lack of gate, or they figure they need to make a splash to get the fans attention.  With the Tony thing and mediocre team really dampening excitement about this team, plus JR's hitching the legacy of this team to Tony, they almost have to make a move to try to save JR and Tony from themselves.  Jerry has to know if Tony goes down in flames, like he has so far, it reflects on Jerry personally because HE is the one who put Tony into this job.

3 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

If the Sox agree with the consensus on here that Mongtomgery + Colas is too much, you don't have to worry about them acquiring Reynolds anytime soon

I think those two are the minimum and I’d expect another top 10 prospect would be required to even get their attention.  I’m one of the higher guys here on Colas (I think he’s a legit top 100 prospect already with top 40 upside), but I think him & Colson are a pretty attractive pair of headliners.  Other teams could beat it, but most clubs are hesitant to trade legit blue chip prospects.

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I think the people who would be initially upset at including him in a Reynolds deal would get over it fairly quickly

I just don’t get how you trade a potential solution to our decades long issues in RF. Above average defender, left handed stick, power, Cuban, cost controlled. Just don’t see how you can trade him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Here's the thing.  The Sox attendance is suffering.  This can go one of two ways.  Either they go cheap to catch up with the lack of gate, or they figure they need to make a splash to get the fans attention.  With the Tony thing and mediocre team really dampening excitement about this team, plus JR's hitching the legacy of this team to Tony, they almost have to make a move to try to save JR and Tony from themselves.  Jerry has to know if Tony goes down in flames, like he has so far, it reflects on Jerry personally because HE is the one who put Tony into this job.

Or they could start winning.