Old Sock Drawer, ex Sox player discussion

elrockinMT

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Are we really going to lose it over one start?  The kid has a 5+ ERA in AAA this year with a 1.6 WHIP, including over 11 H/9, 3 BB/9, and less than 7 K' per 9.  Before today his MLB peripherals were extremely similar which gives the feeling he is a ticking time bomb waiting to blow.

Yes

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

...which is obviously more valid than his career 1.21 WHIP?

2.65 ERA. 8 k's.  The Royals are terrible overall but their offense has been pretty darned good recently.  Benintendi is going to be an outfield target for a large number of postseason contenders. 

Guardians are going to be nipping at Sox heels quite soon with easy peasy schedule in June.

At the very least he far outperformed Keuchel.

Edited by caulfield12

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

...which is obviously more valid than his career 1.21 WHIP?

Well, he's never appeared in the big leagues before so yeah, I'd say his 1.60 WHIP in the big leagues is more valid than what he did in the low levels of the Sox minor league system.

Konnor Pilkington is just a guy.  Fairly confident of that.  But go ahead and gnash your teeth and wring your hands about him if you'd like.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Complete shit for a few-week sample size he played with us, yes.  Not shit for the first portion of the season and not really shit now, especially as compared with what we have.  Yes, it would be great to have an all-star at the position but that was not happening.

Few weeks?  Try 2.5 months.  Cesar Hernandez was so fucking bad for the White Sox.  He gave them no choice but to cut ties.  Brining him back would have been awful.

Of course, they decided to sign someone else who also sucks balls.  But Cesar Hernandez and his lifeless style of play is the last thing the Sox need. IDGAF what his SSS playing for an awful 18-33 team says.  Dude sucks and had to go.  Every game he played for the Sox he looked miserable on the field, and as a teammate. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

None of that really refutes my point, but it's all fine I guess.

Apologies for the vitriol. Cesar Hernandez and the trade involving Pilkington gets me heated. I hated it from the start. 

53 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I decided to go back and see why they released him and, of course, cutting Gonzalez was a cost-saving measure:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/08/giants-to-claim-luis-gonzalez-from-white-sox.html

They could have put him on the 60-day DL (he was having shoulder surgery) but decided to cheap out, release him and were hoping to sign him to a minor league deal afterwards.

10 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

His numbers aren't awesome or anything this year, but man, his OPS is like 200 points higher than Leury or Harrison's. Those 2 combined make more than Escobar this year. 

7 hours ago, chw42 said:

His numbers aren't awesome or anything this year, but man, his OPS is like 200 points higher than Leury or Harrison's. Those 2 combined make more than Escobar this year. 

He would have made a big difference on this team the last 2 years considering how bad Cesar & now Big Energy have been.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

He would have made a big difference on this team the last 2 years considering how bad Cesar & now Big Energy have been.

I was curious to see who is playing the most this year and who has the most plate appearances this year. It’s Cesar Hernandez. I mean, he’s not good, but he has been on the field.

Just now, flavum said:

I was curious to see who is playing the most this year and who has the most plate appearances this year. It’s Cesar Hernandez. I mean, he’s not good, but he has been on the field.

The most likely outcome was always that he would go back to being ~fine this season. It's just bizarre how role players like that always seem to come here and fall off a cliff.