Old Sock Drawer, ex Sox player discussion

elrockinMT

Blown save for Kimbrel. His ERA will be around 5 after tonight's appearance. I could insert a snarky comment about how him pitching in the 9th didn't solve anything, but honestly, his stuff looks back and his peripherals are very good. My biggest takeaway from watching him this season is that making Kimbrel the closer for 1 year and turning Hendriks into a relief ace would have been preferable to signing Kelly + Graveman for ~16M annually.

1 minute ago, pettie4sox said:

Kimbrel is bad.  Dude just cost me a shit ton of money too if the Dodgers don't come back.

I actually have the Pirates ML 🙂 sorry to hear that, though

but I think he'll be better than Graveman and Kelly with significantly less $ guaranteed in future years

5 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Blown save for Kimbrel. His ERA will be around 5 after tonight's appearance. I could insert a snarky comment about how him pitching in the 9th didn't solve anything, but honestly, his stuff looks back and his peripherals are very good. My biggest takeaway from watching him this season is that making Kimbrel the closer for 1 year and turning Hendriks into a relief ace would have been preferable to signing Kelly + Graveman for ~16M annually.

He's not giving up the long ball this year, which has been a saving grace for his peripherals. He gave up quite a few with the Sox last year. Just watching him pitch though, he's wild like he was with the Sox last year. No real fastball command and the velo on it is 95-96. If guys don't swing at his curve he just doesn't look that good. 

"Cal Mitchell reaches on a fielding error by first baseman Freddie Freeman. Michael Chavis scores."

Would have had the blown save still, but two outs with a runner in scoring position to preserve the tie. Sounds quite similar to Sox boxscores the last two seasons.

4.80 ERA

Edited by caulfield12

6 hours ago, chw42 said:

He's not giving up the long ball this year, which has been a saving grace for his peripherals. He gave up quite a few with the Sox last year. Just watching him pitch though, he's wild like he was with the Sox last year. No real fastball command and the velo on it is 95-96. If guys don't swing at his curve he just doesn't look that good. 

His peripherals have been fascinating to watch. His K rate is substantially down from last year which seems like a bad sign for him, but somehow he was sporting an almost Aaron Bummer like 60% ground ball rate without any obvious changes to the locations of his pitches or any new pitches - he was at half that rate the last few years. I don’t know if the Dodgers have a way to make that happen through pitch selection but that seems unlikely to keep happening.

14 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

My son told me (prior to yesterday's game) that he has not been used in a one run save opportunity.  Is that true? 

We were discussing Hader and how he has something like 18 saves in 17 innings pitched and a 0.00 ERA. 

That is in fact correct.

Hader is also something like 60% of the way to Herschiser's scoreless innings streak.

Fun Depressing fact:
Cesar Hernandez is batting .289/.345/.383/.728 right now through 228 Plate Appearances.

His OPS is currently higher than all but 4 members of the Sox with greater than 35 PA's (Abreu, TA, Robert, Vaughn).

Also, his 228 plate appearances would lead the Sox by 34. The Sox's leader in plate appearances this year is Jose with 194.

29 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Cleveland has Pilkington topping at 96. 

I'd like to see him against a non-putrid offense, but we all knew something like this was gonna happen as soon as Cleveland took him.

Seems like the Sox should just see what smart teams want from their system and prioritize keeping and developing those guys.

13 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

It's disgusting and depressing to be reminded how horrible a trade that has become, when Hahn gave away Pilkington for Hernandez. 

The guy with a 1.60 WHIP in the big leagues and minors this year?  Pilkington is a dime a dozen AAAA pitcher.  Could he become a backend rotation option or decent mlb middle reliever for Cleveland?  Sure.  But he's no one to get worked up about, even if that trade was far from ideal everyway you slice it. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

The guy with a 1.60 WHIP in the big leagues and minors this year?  Pilkington is a dime a dozen AAAA pitcher.  Could he become a backend rotation option or decent mlb middle reliever for Cleveland?  Sure.  But he's no one to get worked up about, even if that trade was far from ideal everyway you slice it. 

The guy made some big improvements in the minors. Pitched his ass off in the minors last year. He's more than a AAAA pitcher imo. 

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

Fun Depressing fact:
Cesar Hernandez is batting .289/.345/.383/.728 right now through 228 Plate Appearances.

His OPS is currently higher than all but 4 members of the Sox with greater than 35 PA's (Abreu, TA, Robert, Vaughn).

Also, his 228 plate appearances would lead the Sox by 34. The Sox's leader in plate appearances this year is Jose with 194.

Least surprising thing ever.  Soxtalk would've exploded if we brought him back, but it would have been a decent move.  He was due to rebound.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

2 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Least surprising thing ever.  Soxtalk would've exploded if we brought him back, but it would have been a decent move.  He was due to rebound.

The guy was complete shit. If by "due for a rebound" you mean better than the complete shit we got, then sure. Signing him would be a losing move. Unfortunately they signed Harrison who is shit as well. 

Edited by ron883
  • Fire 1

Just now, ron883 said:

The guy was complete shit. If by "due for a rebound" you mean better than the complete shit we got, then sure. Signing him would be a losing move. Unfortunately they signed Harrison who was shit as well. 

Complete shit for a few-week sample size he played with us, yes.  Not shit for the first portion of the season and not really shit now, especially as compared with what we have.  Yes, it would be great to have an all-star at the position but that was not happening.

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Complete shit for a few-week sample size he played with us, yes.  Not shit for the first portion of the season and not really shit now, especially as compared with what we have.  Yes, it would be great to have an all-star at the position but that was not happening.

He played 53 games for the Sox. He was complete shit and looked like toast. I'd like to see your post clamoring for him and saying he will bounce back. Nobody thought that. A team that isn't competing took a flier on him this season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

He played 53 games for the Sox. He was complete shit and looked like toast. I'd like to see your post clamoring for him and saying he will bounce back. Nobody thought that. A team that isn't competing took a flier on him this season. 

None of that really refutes my point, but it's all fine I guess.

2 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Or maybe Menechino sucks as a hitting coach. Hernandez was hitting for Cleveland before he came here and then miserably failed with us...and then he goes to Washington and is hitting good again. Hmmm, could be the reason many of our Sox players are hitting so poorly and worse than their normal averages. 

• Like 1

Are we really going to lose it over one start?  The kid has a 5+ ERA in AAA this year with a 1.6 WHIP, including over 11 H/9, 3 BB/9, and less than 7 K' per 9.  Before today his MLB peripherals were extremely similar which gives the feeling he is a ticking time bomb waiting to blow.

• Fire 1