Josh Harrison

harkness99

This dude is horrible.

I posted a couple weeks ago that he was one of the worst hitters in all of mlb in driving runners in from 3rd with 1 out or less at 14%

Since then I've seen him fail about 5 times.

He seems like a good guy - but i hear stone throw him some love and some occasional posters.

This dude is horrible stop getting fooled. 

46 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

This dude is horrible.

I posted a couple weeks ago that he was one of the worst hitters in all of mlb in driving runners in from 3rd with 1 out or less at 14%

He seems like a good guy - but i hear stone throw him some love and some occasional posters.

With a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs, Harrison is hitting .154/.333/.154 in 18 PAs. 

He's stuck out 1/3 of the time in those situations. That's coming from a guy who only strikes out about 15% of the time in his career. 

What's even worse is that against the 4 seam fastball, he's striking out about 44% of the time. And he sees that pitch about 43% of the time in those situations (compared to 36% overall). There's clearly an easy playbook on how to get Harrison out on strikes when you really need it. And pitchers are executing it pretty well. 

Edited by chw42
  • Like 2

Eh, he's been about a 0.9 fWAR player this year. For $5 million or whatever that isn't bad, it's nice and cheap and basically a slightly below league average starter, and the money saved by going cheap there was instrumental in creating this dominant bullpen. 

Seriously, if we had 1 fWAR players at 2b and in RF or on the bench the last couple years it actually makes a big difference. 

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

51 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

This dude is horrible.

Send the memo to TLR.  Did not pinch it late for Josh with two men in scoring position and less than 2 outs and failed once again.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Eh, he's been about a 0.9 fWAR player this year. For $5 million or whatever that isn't bad, it's nice and cheap and basically a slightly below league average starter, and the money saved by going cheap there was instrumental in creating this dominant bullpen. 

Seriously, if we had 1 fWAR players at 2b and in RF or on the bench the last couple years it actually makes a big difference. 

The guy everybody else on the forum wanted, Escobar, isn't actually doing any better than Harrison. And he's making twice the amount with another guaranteed year on his contract. Brad Miller, another guy some on this forum wanted (myself included), has been worth -1.2 WAR this year. And he has another year on his contract. 

The problem isn't that Harrison is actually a bad player, he's a flawed player who the Sox are relying on way too much. He's being paid like a utility player and he's producing at exactly that level. It's Hahn's fault that we're relying on him to be the everyday 2nd baseman when he's really not that type of player anymore. 

The previous FA class also sucked terribly for second baseman. Pretty much everyone in the class has sucked. Even Semien, the best of the class, has been decidedly mediocre this year and his OPS actually isn't that much higher than Harrison's. 

The Kimbrel trade was a disaster, but would Nick Madrigal be putting up a .750 OPS with us after his hamstring injury? Cause he's having trouble cracking .600 with the Cubs. All in all, if you look at all of the options the Sox had, they all suck. And Harrison is somehow one of the best options and we're only paying him $5.5 million. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

The guy everybody else on the forum wanted, Escobar, isn't actually doing any better than Harrison. And he's making twice the amount with another guaranteed year on his contract. Brad Miller, another guy some on this forum wanted (myself included), has been worth -1.2 WAR this year. And he has another year on his contract. 

The problem isn't that Harrison is actually a bad player, he's a flawed player who the Sox are relying on way too much. He's being paid like a utility player and he's producing at exactly that level. It's Hahn's fault that we're relying on him to be the everyday 2nd baseman when he's really not that type of player anymore. 

The previous FA class also sucked terribly for second baseman. Pretty much everyone in the class has sucked. Even Semien, the best of the class, has been decidedly mediocre this year and his OPS actually isn't that much higher than Harrison's. 

The Kimbrel trade was a disaster, but would Nick Madrigal be putting up a .750 OPS with us after his hamstring injury? Cause he's having trouble cracking .600 with the Cubs. All in all, if you look at all of the options the Sox had, they all suck. And Harrison is somehow one of the best options and we're only paying him $5.5 million. 

I mean, today's a prime example of the issue with him right? Having a 1-1.5 WAR 2b covering that position most games isn't bad as long as you can manage the roster. You play him some of the time and then you have a decent backup or two who also swap in to keep everyone healthy. When you get to a high leverage spot and the game is on the line, you swap guys like that out of the lineup and play for the platoon advantage to try to give yourself a better shot. But you can't do that if you play a man down all the time for reasons that make no sense, and you can't do that if you don't have tolerable backups or kids you can swap in. The problem isn't him, it's that we have a manager who can't recognize players' strengths and weaknesses and a roster that has too many black holes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

I don't think this off-season's FAs at 2nd base are any good either.

17 minutes ago, cuban_sammiches said:

I don't think this off-season's FAs at 2nd base are any good either.

This is what I've been able to find, there may be some others though:

• Max Muncy, Los Angeles Dodgers – $13 million club option, $1.5 million buyout.
  • Kolten Wong, Milwaukee Brewers – $10 million club option, $2 million buyout.
  • Enrique Hernandez, Boston Red Sox.
  • Adam Frazier, Seattle Mariners.
  • Josh Harrison, Chicago White Sox – Club option.
  • Aledmys Diaz, Houston Astros.

6 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

• Max Muncy, Los Angeles Dodgers – $13 million club option, $1.5 million buyout.

I think Muncy is staying with the Dodgers. Adam Frazier is staying with the Mariners. Is Enrique Hernandez just another Leury Garcia? Maybe we sign an aging Kolten Wong or......Carlos Hernandez 2.0.

2 minutes ago, cuban_sammiches said:

I think Muncy is staying with the Dodgers. Adam Frazier is staying with the Mariners. Is Enrique Hernandez just another Leury Garcia? Maybe we sign an aging Kolten Wong or......Carlos Hernandez 2.0.

Well over the 3.4 year stretch that included 2020 Kike put up 11.5 rWAR, so he’s clearly been a significant step above Leury in his career. He’s been hurt this year so his numbers are way down - could that presage a permanent decline, sure. Could he come back better next year? Also possible.

13 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Just saw this stat posted on Harrison, today was the 19th time he came to the plate with a runner on third base and less than two outs.

He has three RBI's.

Would be curious to see the rest of the team's stats in this situation.

Read: "someone please look it up because I'm too lazy"

14 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Muncy would be a huge get and Wong a obvious fit (good D and LH).  I also like Diaz as a better UTL