White Sox vs. Orioles 8/23 6:05 CDT (Cease vs. Voth)

Bob Sacamano

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think there's too many reasons why they're not hitting to put it all on one guy.  

Who do you think the teams listens to more.  Menechino or Abreu?

I think I know what you're getting at, and if I'm right...I agree with you that one guy (Menechino) simply can't be having this much of a negative impact on the entire group of veteran players on this team. I just can't see any scenario where players are actively going along with some plan to diminish driving the ball. 

However, it's not like one guy is being impacted. There is a team-wide power outage happening and SOMETHING is causing it. I agree it has to be a collection of things, but I really don't know what they are. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I think I know what you're getting at, and if I'm right...I agree with you that one guy (Menechino) simply can't be having this much of a negative impact on the entire group of veteran players on this team. I just can't see any scenario where players are actively going along with some plan to diminish driving the ball. 

However, it's not like one guy is being impacted. There is a team-wide power outage happening and SOMETHING is causing it. I agree it has to be a collection of things, but I really don't know what they are. 

Sox need a jump start, but it has to be spontaneous.  

Just now, Tony said:

The Sox were obsessed with developing hitters who make contact and hit the ball to all fields. But getting good results on opposite field batted balls was reliant upon there being a juiced ball. Now that the league wide offensive conditions have changed, the Sox are either unable or unwilling to adjust their approach.

• Like 1

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

The Sox were obsessed with developing hitters who make contact and hit the ball to all fields. But getting good results on opposite field batted balls was reliant upon there being a juiced ball. Now that the league wide offensive conditions have changed, the Sox are either unable or unwilling to adjust their approach.

The other big part of this is that somehow they forgot how to take walks. I cannot explain that, even Abreu got better at that 

Just looked at box score. Sox have 8 hits and 2 runs. Orioles have 3 hits and 4 runs. Shocker.

As a non-white sox fan, I bet this team would be fascinating to disect in the offseason, on how such a talented team completely flopped.

Edited by ScooterMcGuire

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Grandal, Yoan and Vaughn all seem to have lost their batting eye.

Grandal is down nearly .400 points in OPS compared to last year. He's 33, not 43. 

Vaughn seems to be once again hitting that late season wall like he did last year, I can somewhat forgive that given the positive season he's had overall. Yoan...I don't know what the fuck has happened there. 

Pollock is also down over .200 in OPS compared to last year, Robert same deal, Anderson is sitting at .734 and hasn't had an OPS not in the .800's since 2018. 

I don't get it. Something has happened. It can't just be the hitting coach, and it can't just be the "dead ball" 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tomtom said:

Orioles have 4 runs on 3 hits!  It would take the Sox 16 hits to score 4 runs.

Two of the four runs were walks. Three runs came on a 3 run homer Earl Weaver style.  3 run homer are not part of the Sox repertoire and is hard for us to comeback in games.

• Quin unpinned and locked this topic