Is Elvis Andrus a possibility to play second for us in 2023?

sin city sox fan

I think this has been a great addition for us in recent weeks.   He's hit well and played solid defense.   I imagine he'll move to 2nd base when TA comes back and if this works out, I hope they'll look at resigning him for that position in 2023 (assuming he's open to the idea).   What do you think the market will be for him?   How much money would it take to sign him for next season?

Elvis has actually never played 2B in his MLB career. He might actually put up a 3 WAR season this year so you'd think he might get better offers to play SS this off-season. At the very least he'd get a deal like Simmons got this past off-season. 

13 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

He hasn’t been all that useful of a player since 2017. Unless it’s dirt cheap we shouldn’t be looking to invest in him. 

This. Honestly he'd be great in the Leury role. But that's it - and we already have Leury. 

I've been a proponent of trading for him in the past, but that's when he was still stealing 20-30 bases a year and had a respectable OBP. I'd just be happy he's helping right now, because bad results are around the corner too. since coming to the sox this is his best OBP since 2017, his best slugging percentage of his career, his best OPS of his career, and his best batting average of his career. needless to say ... he's locked in right now and it's wild if somehow he becomes the savior to this team and we get to the playoffs in large part because of him -- but he's not this guy. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, he gone. said:

also ... we have Romy and Sosa and 2B is not a premium position. Even if those guys aren't really the long term answer either, it's not very smart to block them with Andrus at age 35. 

Yeah just stick them in the 9 spot and see what they can do. They need some legit upgrades to other spots though.

He fell into our lap at the perfect time...has been great...and is extra baggage when Tim returns.  I'm sure he will finish out the year with us and we will get to see him teamed with TA.  His salary would need to be around $5 million for RH to bite IMO.