Is Elvis Andrus a possibility to play second for us in 2023?

sin city sox fan

For this season when TA returns, the Sox should move Anderson to 2b and keep Andrus at SS. There can be no doubt that Elvis is a way better fielder for us there than Timmy. Maybe it would be too emasculating to the face of our club, but we definitely would be a better fielding team in my mind. 

2023… no to signing Elvis. Only because we have a number of potentials in the pipeline. We need a starter in Romy, Sosa or Rodriguez to step up and give us a cheap alternative since money will be tight. 

Edited by SouthSideGeorgia

2 hours ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

For this season when TA returns, the Sox should move Anderson to 2b and keep Andrus at SS. There can be no doubt that Elvis is a way better fielder for us there than Timmy. Maybe it would be too emasculating to the face of our club, but we definitely would be a better fielding team in my mind. 

2023… no to signing Elvis. Only because we have a number of potentials in the pipeline. We need a starter in Romy, Sosa or Rodriguez to step up and give us a cheap alternative since money will be tight. 

Looking to the future, I'm hoping Romy is the real deal.

When TA comes back, we are going to have a log jam, I was thinking Andrus could play 3rd but then Moncada goes out last night with probably the best game of his career, not sure if he's finally figured things out but it would be great if he has.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

When TA comes back, we are going to have a log jam, I was thinking Andrus could play 3rd but then Moncada goes out last night with probably the best game of his career, not sure if he's finally figured things out but it would be great if he has.

Moncada needs to go. He's a bust. TA playing second isn't an option. I'd move on from Andrus. Go with Romy if he's good defensively.

27 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Moncada needs to go. He's a bust. TA playing second isn't an option. I'd move on from Andrus. Go with Romy if he's good defensively.

I'm not a Mondada fan either but he's going to be hard to move what with his contract. TA has also had issues this year and wasn't exactly playing a stellar shortstop.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I'm not a Mondada fan either but he's going to be hard to move what with his contract. TA has also had issues this year and wasn't exactly playing a stellar shortstop.

If Yoan coulda stroked a hit off the softball pitcher in the ninth ... would that have been a Sox record? Six hits in a 9-inning game? Can't believe he blew a chance at a six-hit game by not putting it into play as Sheets did. Too bad Moncada isn't a superstar. I thought he'd be one. Could be injuries.

44 minutes ago, greg775 said:

If Yoan coulda stroked a hit off the softball pitcher in the ninth ... would that have been a Sox record? Six hits in a 9-inning game? Can't believe he blew a chance at a six-hit game by not putting it into play as Sheets did. Too bad Moncada isn't a superstar. I thought he'd be one. Could be injuries.

It would have tied the team record set by among others Hank Steinbacher, Floyd Robinson and Lance Johnson. That's off the top of my head.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It would have tied the team record set by among others Hank Steinbacher, Floyd Robinson and Lance Johnson. That's off the top of my head.

Seems like the kind of feat someone like Chris Singleton would have pulled off.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

It's OK to have deep talent on your bench ask the Yankees and Dodgers. TA goes to SS. 

2 hours ago, kwill said:

To be clear is the argument to jettison Moncada for a 34-year Elvis Andrus next season. 

Fellas, what are we doing here? Yeah, He had a terrible year at the plate but are we being serious or just voicing frustration at the moment? 

I'd like him re-signed and Garcia cut.

13 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Moncada is not a bust, in the slightest. He has woefully underperformed offensively this year, but he still has 1.1 WAR in 83 games.

Even with his terrible stats this year he still has a 3.6 WAR / 162 career average. 

This has nothing to do with your post, u da man, just a thought after reading stuff. Moncada is the kind of player who will always be loved by fans and GMs. He was deemed a superstar his rookie year and it will take a long long time of crumminess to leave that status. Let's pretend he didn;t have a five-hit game. He's been miserable. Now if injuries are the problem and he's playing hurt a lot, my bad. But he truly stinks.

39 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This has nothing to do with your post, u da man, just a thought after reading stuff. Moncada is the kind of player who will always be loved by fans and GMs. He was deemed a superstar his rookie year and it will take a long long time of crumminess to leave that status. Let's pretend he didn;t have a five-hit game. He's been miserable. Now if injuries are the problem and he's playing hurt a lot, my bad. But he truly stinks.

His hitting sucks this year, and his good defense is invisible. The thing is, we concede that Sheets and Vaughn absolutely kill us in the outfield and we lose games because of their defense, then we also win games because of Moncada’s defense. He is a top tier defensive third baseman. in just 83 games this year, he is 80th out of almost 800 players in all of MLB in DWAR. If he was playing every day, he would likely be a top twenty player in that category. 

2 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

His hitting sucks this year, and his good defense is invisible. The thing is, we concede that Sheets and Vaughn absolutely kill us in the outfield and we lose games because of their defense, then we also win games because of Moncada’s defense. He is a top tier defensive third baseman. in just 83 games this year, he is 80th out of almost 800 players in all of MLB in DWAR. If he was playing every day, he would likely be a top twenty player in that category. 

I'm all for beefing up the defense wherever they can. But you cant have a third basemen with no bat. That's not a recipe for competing for a World Series.

18 hours ago, greg775 said:

I’m actually going in the other direction. I’m looking to move Timmy this offseason while he still has value. This has nothing to do with Andrus. My issue with Timmy is he’s a free agent in a couple years and is going to want a mega contract, which I don’t think he will be worth it. His defense at shortstop has been very sporadic this season, he gets hurt often, and it seems his power is declining. I’d look to move him for pitching and plug in Mendick/Romy/whoever as a stopgap SS next year until Montgomery is (hopefully) ready in 2024.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

How can you possibly argue against crumminess and the fact that he was deemed a superstar

• Like 1

I enjoy the glorious September for what it is, but still absolutely not. Sox have infield prospects up the wazzu, and it's no stretch to believe that they can find one to match the .680ish OPS, at 10% of the cost, with the possibility of much higher.
The same was true last year at this time, but they chose the 30+utility infielder route, so we'll see.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 2

On 9/10/2022 at 7:53 AM, pcq said:

Harrison dfa when Tim comes back. Elvis should be back next year. Romy our homie. You have to keep the winners around. Not a difficult concept. 

I certainly don't disagree, but it is still a tough call to make.  That is, firing a team player with two weeks or so to go plus a possible playoff berth, after hustling your ass off for 5 plus months, with reasonable stats to go with.  Let's face it, Harrison got off to a horrible start, partly because he wasn't ready on Opening Day, caused by Spring Training injuries.

On 9/11/2022 at 7:43 AM, oldsox said:

I certainly don't disagree, but it is still a tough call to make.  That is, firing a team player with two weeks or so to go plus a possible playoff berth, after hustling your ass off for 5 plus months, with reasonable stats to go with.  Let's face it, Harrison got off to a horrible start, partly because he wasn't ready on Opening Day, caused by Spring Training injuries.

His defense this last week has been horrific.  Put Harrison or Leury on the IL to end the year.