Official NBA 22-23

On 3/16/2023 at 4:39 PM, Chisoxfn said:

What surgery is it that will have that long of a recovery time or is this one of those - they know he is toast so they are just going to assume he is out next year. 

MACI or OATS where they remove pieces of cartilage from a non-weight bearing potion of the knee and put it in the damaged area. 

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

MACI or OATS where they remove pieces of cartilage from a non-weight bearing potion of the knee and put it in the damaged area. 

It's also possible that the meniscus was damaged so badly that they had to remove too much and he couldn't play with it. So they are doing a true meniscal transplant from a cadaver. Those are more rare though. 

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's also possible that the meniscus was damaged so badly that they had to remove too much and he couldn't play with it. So they are doing a true meniscal transplant from a cadaver. Those are more rare though. 

I just don’t understand how it went from bone bruise to this

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I just don’t understand how it went from bone bruise to this

The bone bruise will decrease the blood flow to the deep layers of the articular cartilage. It won't heal and could have lead to the need for the transplant if it's the articular cartilage. 

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

Thank you - was this needed because original surgery went wrong or more this was always what was wrong from whatever drove his injury in the first place?

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

The bone bruise will decrease the blood flow to the deep layers of the articular cartilage. It won't heal and could have lead to the need for the transplant if it's the articular cartilage. 

This answered the question I just asked - thank you. 

15 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Thank you - was this needed because original surgery went wrong or more this was always what was wrong from whatever drove his injury in the first place?

It wasn't because the previous surgery went wrong. They probably saw the damage and did the meniscal surgery to see if he could play with just that removed. When he couldn't, they tried a second surgery that was a longer rehab but still gave him a fair shot at playing again. This is the last thing they can do before a knee replacement to help the cartilage but really decreased the chance he'll play again. It's possible but the chances really decreased. 

On 3/22/2023 at 6:03 PM, Taz said:

Kings fan here.

Our best season in forever, and have such a great young team. I think will not get top seed, but looking good for at least the third.

Definitely rooting for the Kings in the West. The Beam is the most fun thing in a while.

Meanwhile, for the Bulls, Pat Bev is wilding.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Quin said:

Definitely rooting for the Kings in the West. The Beam is the most fun thing in a while.

Meanwhile, for the Bulls, Pat Bev is wilding.

Say what you want about the Bulls this year, but Pat Bev has made the team entertaining. 

• Like 1

Zach LaVine post All-Star numbers:

29.1 ppg, 4.5 apg, 3.6 RPG, 54% FG, 46% 3pt

The Bulls aren't going to blow this up, but they should retool and I'd do it around Zach.  See if you can get younger and better fits - Derozan in a 3 way and than I have no earthly idea what you can do with Vuc in a S&T to free up other options.  Maybe Vuc stays, I don't know. I do know you need to surround Zach with a good PG and solid defenders. 

If the Bulls could just maintain and get a good PG - than awesome, we know at that point this is at least an above average team - problem is Derozan and Vuc are also on the wrong side of 30, so I don't like over-leveraging into a team that has more long term downside than upside (and the upside is pretty limited anyway - even as i describe above - they stay status quo and land a good PG, I don't think they are a title contender - but they are probably a pretty good team).  

4 hours ago, chw42 said:

With the win over Memphis, the Bulls are locked into a play-in spot. They can still get to the 8th seed, but that might not be that likely. Hopefully the play-in games with Pat Bev are fun again. 

I forget are seeds 7-10 play in or just 9-10

I hate the play-in. I know the best argument for it is to discourage tanking (valid, actually) but I can't get behind it. The 9th and 10th place teams simply don't deserve to be there, you are already well below average, and we've had 82 games to establish that.

The NBA makes less sense than ever to me. 

2010s especially latter half - ok alright requires player collusion but if you can get a few stars to sign onto your team you are in championship territory.

Starting in 2020 (yeah I know the lakers "won" that season):

- Kawhi and George in LAC haven't even been to a conference championship, have missed playoffs 
- The Nets best season was basically just Durant being awesome and the others not playing
- Luka/Kyrie was a disaster, and luka/porzingis was a disaster
- Gobert to MN is a disaster
- Harden didn't not work, but that team to me is just Embiid being great.
- I will not win this but surely people think the LAL underachieved a little? I know 2020 and all, but not a success imo
- Diminishing returns here but Dejounta Murray to ATL was a bust

Meanwhile, ok you instead stockpiled a ton of young assets in the drafts:

- Stockpile teams show how long this can take. OKC may be on a Suns trajectory but when they had 600 first round picks I'm not sure many thought it'd be 2023 and still in a 10th place in a much diminished west
- The Magic have lots of nice young talent and seem eons away from putting it together
- Pistons have completely busted
- New Orleans seemed like they were ready to take a huge step then floundered again
while:
- Cavs struck gold on an extremely risky pick in Garland and then getting a dominant defensive player in Mobley, then actually getting a star to join that transformed them
- Same for Phoenix, who just had that sweet spot in the west where you are in the best conference getting crushed, but probably better than 6 teams in the east so you just get to keep getting to3 picks, while orlando gets picks in 7-10 despite likely being worse

- Ditto for Memphis who made good draft picks...but come on, they were bad for two years and got extremely great lottery picks and years to draft.
- Danny Ainge was criticized for only getting Tatum/Brown with all of those picks, but basically only tanked one year and did a much better job immediately putting young players in positions of growth and competitiveness.

And then you have a bunch of teams with the best players on the planet that have good players outside them but probably would be amazing regardless in Jokic, Embiid and Giannis.

I say this basically because I'm not sure there is a harder league to build a winner than the NBA. Clearly there are these orgs that just are better (Celtics, Miami...fine Lakers, ), but then there are orgs that were better until they weren't (SAS, Houston, ...Miami?).

But it all seems so random. I guess you have the true ethos kinda work with NYK right now, the celtics, the nuggets. Where at it's heart it's just "let's be realistic about our teams, and always make smart decisions and never get too risky". 

But that was the Raptors too. No idea why they aren't that good! (watch them make a run).

Anyway the bulls aren't in this conversation because the owner is uninterested in winning so isn't worth discussing.

The Bulls match up terribly against Toronto. Hopefully, play-in Pat Bev gives the Bulls a boost to possibly win this one. I know it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things since they'll get destroyed by Milwaukee if they make it out of the play-in, but a few good games in the play-in could be fun. 

NBA set some attendance and sell out records this year. Pretty incredible when you consider the price point of NBA tickets.  Maybe it has something to do with there now being more than a few teams with a legit chance to win it all.Personally, although I could watch Steph Curry shoot all day long, i'm much less engaged to today's game than in the past. It's basically a 3 point contest. I don't blame them playing this way, I'm sure the math says it's the way to go. But when players are passing on a dunk during a fastbreak, and kicking it out for a 3..........I'd like to see them move the line out a couple of feet, and eliminate 3s from the corner. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1