Rumor: White Sox made offer for Max Kepler

Balta1701

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Remember when we used to target underrated, blocked players in other orgs on the way up rather than players on their way down 

That's what I've been doing but no one seems to like taking on other teams rejects.  I'd happily take speed, defense, power and the energy in the OF . No one can say the Sox don't need all those things badly.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

So let’s play around with some names. On the Futuresox list, Jared Kelly, Wes Kath, and Yolbert Sanchez are all in the 15 to 20 range. That’s a pair of former second round picks and a high money Cuban signing. Would 2 of those three guys be a deal that would work for everyone? The Twins save some money and get back a couple guys with potential, the White Sox get a tolerable starting OF?

Didnt the Twins bring up a young OF or two from their system late in the season last year? Was that Celestino, I’m trying to figure this out from depth charts.

I could live with Yogurt plus one of those other guys.  Just don’t see the Twins taking that package from us though.

1 minute ago, KennyPowers said:

Most Hard-Hit Groundouts Facing Shift, 2020–22 (90+ MPH)

Matt Olson, Braves 147

Yordan Alvarez, Astros 122

Max Kepler, Twins 121

Kyle Tucker, Astros 114

Corey Seager, Rangers 113

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/11/21/banning-infield-shifts-impact

That is interesting. 

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If they only have $20 million to spend, those two together would leave the white Sox approximately $1.5 million available for that SP.

If there is only $20 million available, we will be looking at Sheets in RF and one of the Mendick types for 2nd.  The SP alone will cost close to $20.  I would bet this payroll will be very close to $200 even with losing Jose.

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I could live with Yogurt plus one of those other guys.  Just don’t see the Twins taking that package from us though.

If they want Yolbert that bad they could just wait a week till the rule 5 draft and potentially snag him then. Just no way I see the Twins trading Kepler to the Sox.

2 hours ago, KennyPowers said:

Most Hard-Hit Groundouts Facing Shift, 2020–22 (90+ MPH)

Matt Olson, Braves 147

Yordan Alvarez, Astros 122

Max Kepler, Twins 121

Kyle Tucker, Astros 114

Corey Seager, Rangers 113

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/11/21/banning-infield-shifts-impact

So in other words Kepler’s BA is going to jump sans the shift?  

Kepler would be very nice.  Wonder if Reynaldo would do it?

As astute posters have pointed out here previously, if you see Lopez as a potential starter or swingman type, (which for some reason, no one does here at Soxtalk), he has value.  As a reliever, with one great season under his belt... I'm not certain where he'd be on the open market despite the early RP paydays.  Maybe around or slightly higher than his arb number? 

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

Kepler would be very nice.  Wonder if Reynaldo would do it?

As astute posters have pointed out here previously, if you see Lopez as a potential starter or swingman type, (which for some reason, no one does here at Soxtalk), he has value.  As a reliever, with one great season under his belt... I'm not certain where he'd be on the open market despite the early RP paydays.  Maybe around or slightly higher than his arb number? 

Reynaldo's value should be really high right now. Not giving him up for someone like Kepler. Joe Kelly is who I'd give up for Kepler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TLR 2

40 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Reynaldo's value should be really high right now. Not giving him up for someone like Kepler. Joe Kelly is who I'd give up for Kepler.

I can't believe you are willing to trade our worst '23 contract for a player with positive value.  The Twins are also shocked. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

There are going to be some who benefit a lot from the lack of a shift. I don't really know if he will be one of them, but a 3 outcome guy like Gallo, teams have a workaround especially if you have an athletic OF. Play the RF where teams were playing the 2B. And have the other 2  basically in the gaps or shift one depending on the spray chart.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

There are going to be some who benefit a lot from the lack of a shift. I don't really know if he will be one of them, but a 3 outcome guy like Gallo, teams have a workaround especially if you have an athletic OF. Play the RF where teams were playing the 2B. And have the other 2  basically in the gaps or shift one depending on the spray chart.

Pretty sure there are no rules that prevent you from positioning your OF in whatever way you want.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Footlong has to be the second worse fake Twitter insider behind only Bartolo’s Colonscopy aka Orlando.

Also, very strange that Adam Maloney stopped posting here all that much once Footlong’s podcast started ramping up 🤔

Just find it hilarious why the Twins would want to do anything of significance that might help the Sox heading into an off-season where they just finished 3 games behind them. Maybe a deal with them at the deadline might be realistic but nothing is going to happen with them unless the Sox are overpaying drastically 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Just to entertain this idea.. Maeda would make a ton of sense as our “swing man”. Similar role to what he had with the Dodgers

I can’t even entertain the idea of acquiring one because at this point they’d want a lefty starter to balance things out from them as I don’t recall one in their rotation.

4 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

I can’t even entertain the idea of acquiring one because at this point they’d want a lefty starter to balance things out from them as I don’t recall one in their rotation.

Eh. Idk how much “starter” pitching hand balances make a difference. I believe more so, stuff balances matter