Sox sign Victor Reyes MiLB deal, ST invite

bmags

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They got Quintana for a song and he became very good. Many here refused to believe he would continue to be good . You kept hearing the phrase "smoke and mirrors" about Q.

Was Quintana ever a "hype player" though? I feel like he was just a nameless guy buried at the bottom of the Yankees organization until the White Sox jumped on him. I specifically remember thinking "WTF are they doing this guy" when they rushed him up from like a month in AA to fill a rotation role in 2012, and yet...viola. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Was Quintana ever a "hype player" though? I feel like he was just a nameless guy buried at the bottom of the Yankees organization until the White Sox jumped on him. I specifically remember thinking "WTF are they doing this guy" when they rushed him up from like a month in AA to fill a rotation role in 2012, and yet...viola. 

I took liberty's with the definition. A rare instance where we got a young player for nothing and he basically became very good.

”He was signed for roster depth and an insurance policy” Yeah, ok. He’ll be misused and overused like every other player of his caliber who find themselves on the White Sox. 

Why are we concerning ourselves with these ass backwards moves when more important positions are left to be filled? And yeah yeah…i know the followup counterpoint….”it does not prevent us from still filling 2B/OF/additional rotation spot.” However, these bums will always be available up through the start of the season. Worry about the other positions now and then filling in with interchangeable AAAA players later.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

”He was signed for roster depth and an insurance policy” Yeah, ok. He’ll be misused and overused like every other player of his caliber who find themselves on the White Sox. 

Why are we concerning ourselves with these ass backwards moves when more important positions are left to be filled? And yeah yeah…i know the followup counterpoint….”it does not prevent us from still filling 2B/OF/additional rotation spot.” However, these bums will always be available up through the start of the season. Worry about the other positions now and then filling in with interchangeable AAAA players later.

Why are we concerning ourselves with this, as in the board? Because there is literally nothing else going on and we’re the sort of loons who will talk about anything and half of us are genuinely mad. Plus, very good chance this guy is on the big league roster early in the year.

We as in the White Sox? Because it’s after the winter meetings and the White Sox have 2 outfielders, on of whom is a rookie. The market is starting to clear out, the top two outfielders are gone, the backups are starting to clear out, and they don’t have enough warm bodies to fill the outfield in the big leagues or Charlotte. They had to go get someone.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

If I only I had any confidence whatsoever in the White Sox finding a way to unlock potential in a post-hype player. 

Serious question: have they ever actually managed to do that with any player?

Does another ex-Tiger James McCann count?

He wasn’t super hyped, but they certainly unlocked something in his late 20s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Well a few of the better bums were DFA's who might have required a little more than a minor league contract. It just goes to show that better depth pieces were not a priority or they were content to sign the dregs because an extra $1-2M would kill them. These things add up on the margins, better defenders, more options, more speed, more power.

These better bums were snatched up early.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

11 hours ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

I mean honestly, what player that has an actual market would willingly play for this Sox "team" after last season and the rumors of how bad the clubhouse and management is.

My take is that PG is the real deal, and the coaching staff is the best since the Al Lopez era.  Pedro seems to have known that the team frequently looked flat and disinterested.  The manager change will make a BIG difference IMO.

43 minutes ago, poppysox said:

My take is that PG is the real deal, and the coaching staff is the best since the Al Lopez era.  Pedro seems to have known that the team frequently looked flat and disinterested.  The manager change will make a BIG difference IMO.

Pedro seems almost too good to be true. The problem I have is they can’t rely on him to fix everything. They were short in 2021. They still have those same holes today. Plus a catcher a couple of years older, and most likely not a 4 WAR player anymore. And they lost Abreu. So that isn’t even counting what they need to snap back. Everything goes right, the team will be fine. But that normally doesn’t happen. We all should have known better. This is how the team operates. They never have been willing to stick their neck on the line to be awesome. All that banked money from the rebuild we were promised would be there, is somewhere else.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Pedro seems almost too good to be true. The problem I have is they can’t rely on him to fix everything. They were short in 2021. They still have those same holes today. Plus a catcher a couple of years older, and most likely not a 4 WAR player anymore. And they lost Abreu. So that isn’t even counting what they need to snap back. Everything goes right, the team will be fine. But that normally doesn’t happen. We all should have known better. This is how the team operates. They never have been willing to stick their neck on the line to be awesome. All that banked money from the rebuild we were promised would be there, is somewhere else.

I agree with the points you make.  However, there are many players who might be available that would greatly fit the bill.  I am trying to keep the faith and wait to judge the offseason until it's over.

On 12/10/2022 at 8:41 AM, Dick Allen said:

Did they actually say that?  That they would bank rebuild money ......

22 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Did they actually say that?  That they would bank rebuild money ......

Well, I mean they did.  The Sox have had their two highest payrolls in club history in 2021 and 2022, with 2022 being $65M higher than ever before.  They will again either have the highest or 2nd highest highest payroll in franchise history in 2023.  So while we can argue until we're blue in the face about how exactly that money was spent, it was in fact spent.  

This is no way an excuse for JR or management.  They should 100% be all the way up near the luxury tax threshold in 2023. The fact that they aren't is embarrassing.  But when you take a step back and put it in all into context, they did in fact spend the money.  They just did it really poorly. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2022 at 7:41 AM, Dick Allen said:

If Vaughn Colas and Lou turn into beasts the O could survive along with Eloy and otherwise please tighten up the D. 

13 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Until they actually have to play on the Sox . AAAA depth is good no doubt but better AAAA depth is better. Next thing you know the Sox will be resigning Engel to a minor league deal too.

Engel and Victor Reyes are much better AAAA depth than we're used to.

The problem is right now we don't have the OF depth to make them AAAA depth.

21 minutes ago, Quin said:

Engel and Victor Reyes are much better AAAA depth than we're used to.

The problem is right now we don't have the OF depth to make them AAAA depth.

Who was AAA depth last year? Payton, Haseley anyone else?  Colas  if they had called him up and given him a shot when it became abundantly clear that the OF defense and hitting was a major reason why the Sox were losing games and Colas had hit even better in AA than A+. Birmingham is usually the gauntlet that destroys Sox prospects.

Sox haven't resigned Engel YET . So at this point I'd say the depth is  worse given that Colas will probably be in the OF for the majority of 2022. But yes we agree the Sox OF depth at all levels is really bad.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

20 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Until they actually have to play on the Sox . AAAA depth is good no doubt but better AAAA depth is better. Next thing you know the Sox will be resigning Engel to a minor league deal too.

Engel would be awesome on a minor league deal.. Who are you expecting?  Conforto?