Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M

Chicago White Sox

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/andrew-benintendi-643217?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

he's hitless against breaking balls this year, hitting like .370 against everything else.....i'll wait to write him off at this point, he's got more than enough time to piss us off. he's hitting .444 RISP (.400 with men on)  in incredibly short sample size, so he's one of the few guys i don't want to choke out right now.

2 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/andrew-benintendi-643217?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

he's hitless against breaking balls this year, hitting like .370 against everything else.....i'll wait to write him off at this point, he's got more than enough time to piss us off. he's hitting .444 RISP (.400 with men on)  in incredibly short sample size, so he's one of the few guys i don't want to choke out right now.

Pollock was beyond useless last season....I am willing to give Andrew quite a bit of rope...he should have caught that ball at the wall Friday night though.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Pollock was beyond useless last season....I am willing to give Andrew quite a bit of rope...he should have caught that ball at the wall Friday night though.

i'd already turned it off at that point, so he's still a competent fielder to me

he's got a role on this roster. i'm not sure it's worth $75 million, but i'll give him more than two weeks

Just now, Heads22 said:

i'd already turned it off at that point, so he's still a competent fielder to me

he's got a role on this roster. i'm not sure it's worth $75 million, but i'll give him more than two weeks

I might not be fair on the wall play but i expect a gold glover to make it.  He did make a great catch earlier Friday. He may only be a slightly above replacement player but I think that contract he signed is fair.  His at bats are competitive.  I would like some more power though.

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

I might not be fair on the wall play but i expect a gold glover to make it.  He did make a great catch earlier Friday. He may only be a slightly above replacement player but I think that contract he signed is fair.  His at bats are competitive.  I would like some more power though.

totally agree. he looks like willie mays compared to eloy out there, tho. 

of course, andrew chose to come here over other places (sure the money was right) but it was nice seeing someone actually wanting to be here in free agency at position that fits. he's still only had one full season below a 103 ops+ and none below 99, and he's at 73 right now. sure, he may have forgotten to hit like many sox signings, but there's proof of concept there at least.

2 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

totally agree. he looks like willie mays compared to eloy out there, tho. 

of course, andrew chose to come here over other places (sure the money was right) but it was nice seeing someone actually wanting to be here in free agency at position that fits. he's still only had one full season below a 103 ops+ and none below 99, and he's at 73 right now. sure, he may have forgotten to hit like many sox signings, but there's proof of concept there at least.

Oh I agree it helps that he chose to play here.  Night and Day from Pollock who never looked like he wanted to be here imo.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on Andrew Benintendi, the player Rick Hahn gave the largest contract to in franchise history to be the finishing touch on a “championship caliber” team:

• fWAR = -0.1
  • wRC+ = 69
  • OPS = .621
  • OBP = .309
  • ISO = .057
  • HRs = 0
  • xwOBA = 8th %tile
  • OAA = 18th %tile

I thoroughly look forward to the next 4 1/2 years of our slap hitting LF.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Update on Andrew Benintendi, the player Rick Hahn gave the largest contract to in franchise history to be the finishing touch on a “championship caliber” team:

• fWAR = -0.1
  • wRC+ = 69
  • OPS = .621
  • OBP = .309
  • ISO = .057
  • HRs = 0
  • xwOBA = 8th %tile
  • OAA = 18th %tile

Would rather have Juan Pierre or Pods... they added a little flair and basic joy for playing the game despite their limitations.  Heck, Alejandro DeAza would be better and was one of the best bargain bin picks up by the Sox. 

Benintendi seems no happier than AJ Pollock last season. 

Beni is OK, nothing against him. But he's not a fave of mine and having him five years is scary, so I would definitely trade him. Maybe some team with $$ and a need of a decent hitter/fielder would take him off the Sox hands at some point.

No offense to him. He seems OK but what's the point of having him?

Benintendi has been terrible, no doubt, but they weren’t signing Bellinger. He had a relationship with the Cubs hitting coaches and he had been a teammate with AJ Pollock. I bet AJ would have informed him fully about what this clubhouse is like.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

• fWAR = -0.1
  • wRC+ = 69
  • OPS = .621
  • OBP = .309
  • ISO = .057
  • HRs = 0
  • xwOBA = 8th %tile
  • OAA = 18th %tile

it's always the smart 4D chess move to give a low power corner OF who had power sapping hand surgery in the off season your biggest contract in team history

• Like 2

Rays have lost momentum finally with Springs/Rasmussen out for the year and Glasnow suffering a setback in his recovery…other AL East teams are all feeling they have a shot now with Yankees taking down their pen over two consecutive games…including a blown 6-0 lead today at the Stadium.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Rays have lost momentum finally with Springs/Rasmussen out for the year and Glasnow suffering a setback in his recovery…other AL East teams are all feeling they have a shot now with Yankees taking down their pen over two consecutive games…including a blown 6-0 lead today at the Stadium.

I remember when Glasnow got hurt, wasn't it at GRF vs the Sox?