Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I’m disturbed that the guy running this organization thinks the singular form of white sox is “white sock.”

It actually drives me insane that people think the singular form of White Sox is "White Sox."  You'd never say "this guy is a Chicago Cubs."  You'd shorten it and say Cub.  Sox is plural, you can't have it and use it both ways, "Sock" is correct in my humble opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

They really don't care about RF defense and or keeping Eloy healthy if they really are going to give him time in RF.

I think the main point of what Grifol told him is "be ready IF we need you out there. Continue to work on your game as always. Do not think of yourself as a useless guy only capable of one thing. Be prepared to be more even if we don't think that's where the best you is. The best you is staying in the lineup as a hitter. That's what will help the team most."

Grifol is all about positive reinforcement and encouragement but if he doesn't see you trying to be the best you possible he will get on you for your lack of effort in the tough love way that every parent should have inside them. Probably much the same way he raised his girls. Kindness with expecting firmness of resolve.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

Reading the Athletic article that came out today, it really sounds like Benintendi’s decline in power was an intentional approach thing, a reaction to having trouble hitting balls out at Kauffman. He seems to at least attempt to take a very customized approach to the ballpark he’s in. 

Eloy is not going to be playing RF with any regularity. I would think they would put Benintendi in RF and Eloy in LF if they were going to play Eloy in the field. Figures that some tiny comment from Grifol was the huge takeaway. I think Grifol was more saying Eloy should be ready to play even if he is slated as the DH. It was really a nothing comment to me.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Eloy is not going to be playing RF with any regularity. I would think they would put Benintendi in RF and Eloy in LF if they were going to play Eloy in the field. Figures that some tiny comment from Grifol was the huge takeaway. I think Grifol was more saying Eloy should be ready to play even if he is slated as the DH. It was really a nothing comment to me.

nothing comment to me as well.  People just overreact

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

They are really overselling it… 

I know people love to s%*# on the Sox no matter what and a lot of it is warranted but I just don't get why people are making such a deal out of it. The Cubs had a press conference for Tucker Barnhart yesterday. He's a part time catcher who had a .554 OPS last year. The Pirates had a press conference for Vince Velasquez. Why are the Sox getting s%*# for having a presser for a guy who was an all star last year and just signed the biggest contract in Sox history?

There are plenty of things to complain about around here. This aint it. 

Edited by raBBit
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I know people love to s%*# on the Sox no matter what and a lot of it is warranted but I just don't get why people are making such a deal out of it. The Cubs had a press conference for Tucker Barnhart yesterday. He's a part time catcher who had a .554 OPS last year. The Pirates had a press conference for Vince Velasquez. Why are the Sox getting s%*# for having a presser for a guy who was an all star last year and just signed the biggest contract in Sox history?

Agree completely. Of course the Sox are going to market him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I will accept nothing from the marketing team short of a daily public apology. 

27 minutes ago, raBBit said:

For the record, I'm not shitting on them for having a presser for a FA signing.  Every team would.  I do think they are overselling the signing as if he's a big time marquee free agent.   A press conference for Andrew Benintendi is hardly exciting, let alone tweeting it out the next day like it's a big deal or worthy of hype.  The largest contract in team history being him really isn't something to celebrate either.

6 hours ago, raBBit said:

Agreed. They did well on this one there's no question. 

7 hours ago, raBBit said:

My one takeaway from the comment was that, at least on Jan 4, Grifol thinks that Eloy is a better option to shift over to RF (in an emergency) than Benitendi. I don't think he has any intention of playing Benitendi (a guy he has coached before) for the first time in his career in RF.

Of course this could all change once he gets a closer look at Eloy's limitations.

3 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

My one takeaway from the comment was that, at least on Jan 4, Grifol thinks that Eloy is a better option to shift over to RF (in an emergency) than Benitendi. I don't think he has any intention of playing Benitendi (a guy he has coached before) for the first time in his career in RF.

Of course this could all change once he gets a closer look at Eloy's limitations.

I'm not sure why anyone would think this is a good idea with the tiniest bit of effort put in. The stats say that Benintendi has better range and is a better thower than Eloy. Video from last year shows that Eloy was worse at throwing than you thought - every ball that went to LF in one series against Cleveland was turned into a double since they just didn't stop at 1b. If you have to play eloy in the field, LF is already bad for him, in RF where he has to throw even farther would magnify that huge issue. If you have to put Eloy in the field, you'd try to hide him in LF. 

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm not sure why anyone would think this is a good idea with the tiniest bit of effort put in. The stats say that Benintendi has better range and is a better thower than Eloy. Video from last year shows that Eloy was worse at throwing than you thought - every ball that went to LF in one series against Cleveland was turned into a double since they just didn't stop at 1b. If you have to play eloy in the field, LF is already bad for him, in RF where he has to throw even farther would magnify that huge issue. If you have to put Eloy in the field, you'd try to hide him in LF. 

Sounds like Francona.

1 minute ago, oldsox said:

Sounds like Francona.

You're correct, he figured out that his team could do that, so they literally ran to 2nd on every single ball fielded by Eloy. I don't believe they got any runs out of it, but they got like 3 or 4 doubles out of it.