Mike Clevinger under investigation for domestic violence

RibbieRubarb

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So what exactly could Rick Hahn have said yesterday that would have been all right?

Said yesterday? Nothing.

Done previously? Refined his organizations background check and monitoring procedures following incidents like Vizquel and what they observed happening with Bauer. Not jumping to the front of the line signing this guy until appropriate personal checks were done. But that would have required effective leadership.

• Like 2

I‘m at the point of just hoping the end result is Mike Clevinger never pitching in a real game with the Sox. This is supposed to be fun- you know, being a fan. You can’t have this guy on the team March 30th.
So hopefully the process will play itself out soon, and it’s just a matter of how much money the Sox will be on the hook for. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, flavum said:

I‘m at the point of just hoping the end result is Mike Clevinger never pitching in a real game with the Sox. This is supposed to be fun- you know, being a fan. You can’t have this guy on the team March 30th.
So hopefully the process will play itself out soon, and it’s just a matter of how much money the Sox will be on the hook for. 

I think Hahn made himself pretty clear yesterday that Clevinger wouldn’t be here if the org had the choice. He basically said it without saying it multiple times. Definitely recommend all Sox fans take the 35 mins and listen to the presser. 

55 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So what exactly could Rick Hahn have said yesterday that would have been all right?

I don't know the writer or what was in their mind but as I read the story to me it wasn't what Rick could have said but the fact that the White Sox shouldn't have been in this position in the first place. The examples the writer pointed out is what struck me.

But because there is no accountability the same mistakes are being made over and over with no repercussions. So the Sox keep falling into the same traps usually of their own making.

That was my take on his story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

He is usually really good at saying nothing substantive in lots of words.  Lawyerly PR speak would have been better than sympathizing with an abuser.

1 hour ago, flavum said:

The process so far has been gross and enraging, but this is my hope too.  Cut him as soon as permissible by MLB, eat what $$ you have to, and be done with this POS.  The last thing we as fans need is this dragging on into the season w/o resolution.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I would think if it was close to wrapping up, they would have had it done before they would have had to go through all this. So I expect it to drag on for a while.

Well, she’s meeting with MLB investigators tomorrow, and there’s 6 weeks until the season starts. 

Hey, 6 weeks until opening day! Exciting, isn’t it?! No? 

18 minutes ago, flavum said:

Well, she’s meeting with MLB investigators tomorrow, and there’s 6 weeks until the season starts. 

Hey, 6 weeks until opening day! Exciting, isn’t it?! No? 

I'm excited as hell.  Its all about what you make of it.  This is nothing more than a hobby of watching grown men in goofy outfits running around on grass playing a game on a daily basis, after all. If you cannot enjoy it, probably best to step away (not directly at you really, but just in general). 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'm excited as hell.  Its all about what you make of it.  This is nothing more than a hobby of watching grown men in goofy outfits running around on grass playing a game on a daily basis, after all. If you cannot enjoy it, probably best to step away (not directly at you really, but just in general). 

I can only speak for myself. I like baseball but I love the White Sox. They have been a part of my collective life as far back as I can remember.

However when they are doing badly I want little to do with the sport. I have no desire to watch/listen to other clubs succeeding while the Sox fall on their faces. I'll watch stuff from the Sox out of my library instead from good seasons. I enjoy winning more than the "sport." 

Edited by Lip Man 1

34 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I certainly understand your point and I don't disagree but if I could just step away from caring about this stupid organization I would have done so years ago.  Unfortunately I'm here until I die.

18 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

I certainly understand your point and I don't disagree but if I could just step away from caring about this stupid organization I would have done so years ago.  Unfortunately I'm here until I die.

I hear ya.  The ownership of this organization makes it very hard.  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

My wife's line is a bunch of uneducated men in silly costumes, running around in dirt, trying to hit a ball with a stick. It so great.

She isn't wrong.  It puts our obsession in perspective.  

56 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

But that's not the hobby. Are we all baseball fans, of course. But you've got over 15,000 posts on a White Sox message board and I've got way more than that. If the White Sox went away tomorrow, my consumption of MLB would go down drastically, and I assume yours would as well. 

I would say for most, 75% of your excitement comes from YOUR team starting the season, not the start of the entire MLB season. Yes, I'm pleased baseball will be back, but am I excited for 2023 White Sox Baseball? 

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47xwyzn8mm31bgr4skt7

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

My wife's line is a bunch of uneducated men in silly costumes, running around in dirt, trying to hit a ball with a stick. It so great.

Yeah with the exception that these uneducated men will make more money than any of us will probably see in our lifetime.

I wonder what professional sports would look like if it paid like a $60K per year salary.

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

I would say for most, 75% of your excitement comes from YOUR team starting the season, not the start of the entire MLB season. Yes, I'm pleased baseball will be back, but am I excited for 2023 White Sox Baseball? 

There is a comfort with the team I've invested so much time and emotional energy in returning, but excitement?  Zero.  And that might be a first in my 30+ years of fandom.  I am far more excited that baseball in general is back than the White Sox, which is probably another first.  

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, T R U said:

Yeah with the exception that these uneducated men will make more money than any of us will probably see in our lifetime.

I wonder what professional sports would look like if it paid like a $60K per year salary.

A hilariously bad product.

Whether you like it or not, these guys provide a service that is in high demand and they're the best in the world at.

Also, the uneducated dig is weak. These guys chose their career path because it presented itself. The Latino farm players are getting taking additional classes with the White Sox and learning a second language. There are four year college players in the system who might never make the show, playing for below minimum wage (personally a big Duke Ellis fan here). 

Yes, there are idiots playing baseball. But I also know idiots with advanced degrees. Both pull good money - obviously to different degrees - and plenty more than I'll ever see. But it's foolish to paint entire professions with a wide brush.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, flavum said:

Why do you hope he did it? 

I hope the investigation finds him innocent.  I never liked him but he's the guy to which a good chuck of the season is pinned.  

I agree with your stand if found guilty and never liked the guy to begin with but to hope he did this is an odd approach to me.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Why do you hope he did it? 

I hope the investigation finds him innocent.  I never liked him but he's the guy to which a good chuck of the season is pinned.  

I agree with your stand if found guilty and never liked the guy to begin with but to hope he did this is an odd approach to me.

Obviously, I hope he didn’t do anything because it means he didn’t abuse women and his kids, and didn’t drive around on drugs. But, like you, I’ve never liked this guy in any way. He’s looks like he smells. His delivery is stupid—and now illegal, by the way. And he’s had a pattern of saying  and doing stupid things. I don’t like him. I don’t want to root for him on the one team I support. So in the end, I want this to end with him never pitching for the White Sox after March 30th.

Edited by flavum
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, flavum said:

Obviously, I hope he didn’t do anything because it means he didn’t abuse women and his kids, and didn’t drive around on drugs. But, like you, I’ve never liked this guy in any way. He’s looks like he smells. His delivery is stupid—and now illegal, by the way. And he’s had a pattern of saying  and doing stupid things. I don’t like him. I don’t want to root for him on the one team I support. So in the end, I want this to end with him never pitching for the White Sox after March 30th.

I agree with all of that but the crappy part of it is that there isn't enough evidence there and we are stuck with him.  That sucks as he will probably make 35 starts and not be affected at all by this and the team will still only win 75 games.  

1 hour ago, Tony said:

But that's not the hobby. Are we all baseball fans, of course. But you've got over 15,000 posts on a White Sox message board and I've got way more than that. If the White Sox went away tomorrow, my consumption of MLB would go down drastically, and I assume yours would as well. 

I guess I don't really see the difference.  I am a huge baseball fan.  I am a bigger White Sox fan.  If the White Sox went away tomorrow - sure my consumption would go down some.  But baseball is a huge part of my life, and I would likely adopt a new team, and over time become more passionate.  It wouldn't be the same, but that love of the game doesn't just go away.

Like I said, I am very excited for the 2023 White Sox season.  I am 32 years old.  The Sox haven't exactly been a juggernaut in my lifetime.  In the last 30 years, the Sox have won over 90 games 3 times.  The Sox current roster is easily one of the best 5 since I was in like middle school - so yah, I am excited.  I don't see the point in pouting about s%*# I cannot change.  I get the frustration - even as a more optimistic fan, I hate Jerry with a passion, and really struggle to understand how an org can make basically every wrong decision for 2 years straight years, how Hahn is still employed, how they let TLR ruin 2 seasons of this window, etc.  But I am not going to let that take away my excitement from what is nearly certain to be a very entertaining baseball season.     

• Love 1