Mike Clevinger under investigation for domestic violence

RibbieRubarb

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I guess I don't really see the difference.  I am a huge baseball fan.  I am a bigger White Sox fan.  If the White Sox went away tomorrow - sure my consumption would go down some.  But baseball is a huge part of my life, and I would likely adopt a new team, and over time become more passionate.  It wouldn't be the same, but that love of the game doesn't just go away.

Like I said, I am very excited for the 2023 White Sox season.  I am 32 years old.  The Sox haven't exactly been a juggernaut in my lifetime.  In the last 30 years, the Sox have won over 90 games 3 times.  The Sox current roster is easily one of the best 5 since I was in like middle school - so yah, I am excited.  I don't see the point in pouting about s%*# I cannot change.  I get the frustration - even as a more optimistic fan, I hate Jerry with a passion, and really struggle to understand how an org can make basically every wrong decision for 2 years straight years, how Hahn is still employed, how they let TLR ruin 2 seasons of this window, etc.  But I am not going to let that take away my excitement from what is nearly certain to be a very entertaining baseball season.     

I am really hoping for a fast start to get me going again.  I never have been so meh about baseball.  After the strike years I was mad, and didn't go to a game for about 4 years, but that was anger.  For me, it is just apathy.  No excitement, no buying tickets, hats, etc.  I just can't give it any energy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

My wife's line is a bunch of uneducated men in silly costumes, running around in dirt, trying to hit a ball with a stick. It so great.

I’m a college basketball coach.  My ex-wife used to tell me my job was organizing recess.  (That’s not why she’s my ex. 😬)

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I guess I don't really see the difference.  I am a huge baseball fan.  I am a bigger White Sox fan.  If the White Sox went away tomorrow - sure my consumption would go down some.  But baseball is a huge part of my life, and I would likely adopt a new team, and over time become more passionate.  It wouldn't be the same, but that love of the game doesn't just go away.

Like I said, I am very excited for the 2023 White Sox season.  I am 32 years old.  The Sox haven't exactly been a juggernaut in my lifetime.  In the last 30 years, the Sox have won over 90 games 3 times.  The Sox current roster is easily one of the best 5 since I was in like middle school - so yah, I am excited.  I don't see the point in pouting about s%*# I cannot change.  I get the frustration - even as a more optimistic fan, I hate Jerry with a passion, and really struggle to understand how an org can make basically every wrong decision for 2 years straight years, how Hahn is still employed, how they let TLR ruin 2 seasons of this window, etc.  But I am not going to let that take away my excitement from what is nearly certain to be a very entertaining baseball season.     

I agree with this guy: I’m completely excited about the upcoming season. I was bummed out on the Clevenger thing for a while but now over it. If he pitches or not, let’s start playing ball. I want to see TA and Benintendi get on base and Robert, Eloy, and Vaughn coming up to knock them in. I want to see Colas. I want to see it all. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

I'm pretty apathetic about Chicago sports in general right now. The Bulls and White Sox are the most hopeless though. 

I'm definitely not going to a game this year for the first time in a while. I might watch or listen to a couple games a week, but no team is must see tv right now. 

My apathy toward the Sox started after Eloy and Robert got injured in 2021 and has only become worse. I was more excited in 2014 about the Sox than I have been since Eloy hurt himself in spring of '21. It felt like it was over before it even started.

I'd be lying if I told you that I still don't care at least on some level, but it's a hell of a lot less than before. Same with the other 3 teams I root for in town.   

There used to be a time where I used to think it sucked to miss a game on tv. No more. 

I listened to Clevinger's accuser's interview on 670 and she basically said she just want's him to get help and be a better father to his kids. She feels like she has to do this to get him to admit that he needs help. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

If I’m not watching the White Sox, there is about a 90% chance I’m not watching baseball. If something momentous is happening, maybe, otherwise ChiSox only. That's what makes spending so much time on this, so painful, because the ownership and organization overall is such a clown show. Yet, here I am...

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm pretty apathetic about Chicago sports in general right now. The Bulls and White Sox are the most hopeless though. 

I'm definitely not going to a game this year for the first time in a while. I might watch or listen to a couple games a week, but no team is must see tv right now. 

My apathy toward the Sox started after Eloy and Robert got injured in 2021 and has only become worse. I was more excited in 2014 about the Sox than I have been the last since Eloy hurt himself in spring of '21. It felt like it was over before it even started.

I'd be lying if I told you that I still don't care at least on some level, but it's a hell of a lot less than before. Same with the other 3 teams I root for in town.   

There used to be a time where I used to think it sucked to miss a game on tv. No more. 

I listened to Clevinger's accuser's interview on 670 and she basically said she just want's him to get help and be a better father to his kids. She feels like she has to do this to get him to admit that he needs help. 

Jack between the two of us let's try and limit our "I'm not paying attention I'm apathetic" meta posts to one per month. We can do it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Quin said:

A hilariously bad product.

Whether you like it or not, these guys provide a service that is in high demand and they're the best in the world at.

Also, the uneducated dig is weak. These guys chose their career path because it presented itself. The Latino farm players are getting taking additional classes with the White Sox and learning a second language. There are four year college players in the system who might never make the show, playing for below minimum wage (personally a big Duke Ellis fan here). 

Yes, there are idiots playing baseball. But I also know idiots with advanced degrees. Both pull good money - obviously to different degrees - and plenty more than I'll ever see. But it's foolish to paint entire professions with a wide brush.

Yeah I don’t understand the uneducated comment either, I think taking shots at professional athletes doesn’t make much sense. It’s a great job if you’re good at it. 

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

image.jpeg

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

1. Fans control 0% of anything about the game, so being optimistic isn't going to change anything either. Not saying you shouldn't be, but lets not pretend anything we do has any impact on anything. 

2. What fans can control is their own time. I've been to over 400 Sox games in my life. I haven't been at the park since 2019, and have zero plans to go this year. It's not any sort of hard boycott, I just don't feel any desire to continue spending money, and honestly more importantly...my time, on a franchise that has very little interest in providing a winning product to its customers. Don't hold it against anyone who does want to attend, the ballpark is a great time. But I've found other ways to spend that time I'm perfectly fine with. 

• Like 4

This girl leaking just general dirt that she had heard about Clevinger (likely from other spurned exs) and fans gobbling it up because it supports their narrative makes me realize that cat is out of the bag.  Partying during covid with a bunch of hookers is scumbag behavior, not domestic violence.  

My slightly educated conclusion:  Clevinger is a scumbag who surrounded himself with scumbags but likely did not commit any actual acts of domestic violence that he would be found guilty of in a court of law.  I believe that he attempted to gain custody of his child and his scumbag girlfriend is attempting to ruin him.

So, in my contrary opinion he should not lose his job.

BUT
This does NOT  mean the White Sox should have signed him.  They were either negligent in the due diligence and signed a scumbag OR were so desperate to save money (There were dozens of SP options) that they rolled the dice and once again... lost.  

Edited by GREEDY

On 2/15/2023 at 12:53 PM, Baron said:

So the woman who accusing Mike Clevinger posted something just an hour or two ago. Timeline makes sense now. If what she says is true this guy is a fucking nut that doesn't need to be anywhere near this team. 

“His biggest insecurity isn’t being an abusive partner or parent but instead his fragile body that breaks on the mound repeatedly. So take that and run with it if you see him today.”

I thought that was an interesting quote. I’m no psychoanalyst or anything, so I’ll just leave it at that.

I listened to his GFs interview, hard to say whos crappin who. I tend to believe her but she may be embellishing a bit, Maybe the truth is in between which still makes him a scumbag

Acid? Really? I dropped that in my college yrs a few times, I guess Im naive to think its not out there anymore

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JTB said:

I’m a college basketball coach.  My ex-wife used to tell me my job was organizing recess.  (That’s not why she’s my ex. 😬)

With all due respect why did you tie the knot? Didn't she show a lot of signs she would not be supportive of your career? Pretty disrespectful for a spouse to criticize a partner's career like that especially when college coaches can make a ton of money.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

I found it odd that she would be discussing this trauma and conducting a planned interview while holding her infant child. You’d think she would have arranged for family to be present in preserving the child’s innocence and shielding it from the emotions.

She also claims he was always high and then says it is impossible to plan for when he would act out so as to get videos of his behavior.

I’m biased because I’ve been through the false accusation ringer… and with that said, not all of this adds up to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

I found it odd that she would be discussing this trauma and conducting a planned interview while holding her infant child. You’d think she would have arranged for family to be present in preserving the child’s innocence and shielding it from the emotions.

She also claims he was always high and then says it is impossible to plan for when he would act out so as to get videos of his behavior.

I’m biased because I’ve been through the false accusation ringer… and with that said, not all of this adds up to me.

Yah.  I have no doubt Clevinger is a POS and is not a good father or partner to his significant others.  But there is also a decent bit out there that sheds her in not exactly the most credible light.  Even in the interview she sort of zig zagged back and forth. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I know she said he would trip on acid every day. Those experienced with psychedelics, can you take acid every day? Does it still work when you do that? 

One of many things she said that should raise questions to her credibility in my opinion.