2023-24 NFL Season Thread

I do, however, think getting lots and lots of reps in college helps you start your NFL career faster, but it's not everything, as Stroud showed. 

I'm interested to see how the college careers of Penix/Nix/Daniels help them in their nfl careers. Nix had almost 2000 pass attempts, Penix/Daniels over 1500.

Mahomes had 1300, and even in that pass offense I think it helped. I think Tyson Bagents 2000 attempts clearly helped him.

It's my biggest concern on JJ McCarthy, but there are reasons to think he got other reps that mattered.

7 hours ago, bmags said:

Honestly felt a bit bad for mitch but my God he was bad.

The last 4-5 years, weirdly has left me less sympathetic to this view that QBs are "doomed" based on their situations. I see way too much retrofitting of this to try and make it seem like Herbert/Stroud had these great situations.

There really is this element to the top ten QBs of you either have it or you don't, and then a mix of 10 still "often can make it work" qbs, and then utter trash. It's an insane position. It really took me out of the NFL for a bit because it was so random but it's fascinating nonetheless.

I still think Justin Fields could be in that 2nd tier if he cuts down on the fumbles. But it appears the ability to process information extremely fast, correctly, while keeping your body in a position to throw a football accurately 15-30 yards to targets moving 20 mph while also giants are about to sack you is a rare, rare skill that is hard to know if you have until you are faced with the speed of the nfl.

That “have it or you don’t” philosophy is why it’s time to move on from Fields. A second tier QB is sufficient for a team built to compete right now. We’re not there, though. And honestly I’m not content with that. If there’s a generational Mahomes QB in this class then it’s the responsibility of the Bears to identify and draft him. No more excuses. No, “well how could have anyone have expected Penix Jr. to adapt his style so quickly to the NFL.” It’s just always something. And it’s time we elevate our expectations. Yes, there is luck involved; but we cannot luck ourselves into anything unless we take the chance and select a QB with one of the first two picks. I honestly rather take the chance on greatness with the draft, then hoping Fields is “good enough.” Now if they f*** it up and choose poorly, then they can try it again in two years. We could keep doing it until someone gets it, right

Edited by Flash Tizzle

You almost have to take Williams or Daniels if you value mobility in a QB, as Penix Jr. barely has escapability, let alone throwing on the run...was also high on Nix but he's missing something at that next level which is hard to put a precise finger on.

Mahomes is still the quintessential model...Caleb Williams is the closest you're ever going to get.

Or perhaps Jaden Milroe...if he wins his next two games and takes game up one more level.  The way he's rebounded after UT loss and how his approach has evolved from run first to pass first and only run in desperation...impressive stuff.

Of course NFL play of last two Bama QBs doesn't exactly help his cause.  Otoh every OSU QB pretty much sucked on NFL and look at Stroud lighting it up now.

13 hours ago, Flash Tizzle said:

That “have it or you don’t” philosophy is why it’s time to move on from Fields. A second tier QB is sufficient for a team built to compete right now. We’re not there, though. And honestly I’m not content with that. If there’s a generational Mahomes QB in this class then it’s the responsibility of the Bears to identify and draft him. No more excuses. No, “well how could have anyone have expected Penix Jr. to adapt his style so quickly to the NFL.” It’s just always something. And it’s time we elevate our expectations. Yes, there is luck involved; but we cannot luck ourselves into anything unless we take the chance and select a QB with one of the first two picks. I honestly rather take the chance on greatness with the draft, then hoping Fields is “good enough.” Now if they f*** it up and choose poorly, then they can try it again in two years. We could keep doing it until someone gets it, right

I agree except I think teams take too much credit for “identifying” the right qb. Texans clearly backed into Stroud. QB genius Kyle Shanahan missed on Lance and preferred Jones. Ouch. Also bet big on Garoffolo and missed on Mahomes.

It’s more random than we all admit. I think I’d take Maye just because he is tall. But mostly like all of them in different ways. Just as I did in 2021…eek.

• Like 1

Typical Fields game: several plays where you see the talent (Mooney pass, Scramble on the 1st half, 3rd down, last drive for 61 yards), and then there’s everything else (Fumbling again, holding onto the ball too long, double clutching open pass to Mooney, Red zone failures). Can we please move on from him next season?

Edited by Flash Tizzle
  • Like 1

This team should honestly be around 7-6 at this point. The Broncos game, the last Lions game, Chargers game…..8-9 wins is where I thought they would be this season and I think they’re starting to look like that, it’s just taken too long and they’ve blown some awful games 

31 minutes ago, Tony said:

This team should honestly be around 7-6 at this point. The Broncos game, the last Lions game, Chargers game…..8-9 wins is where I thought they would be this season and I think they’re starting to look like that, it’s just taken too long and they’ve blown some awful games 

I think the whole Alan Williams thing really screwed with this team, especially on defense. It also helps that they have an edge rusher who can pressure the QB consistently. 

I actually think Fields did not play well at all today, despite the pretty good looking stats. I definitely think he looked better against Minnesota and the last time they played Detroit. Lots of overthrows on throws your average NFL QB makes. The TD was on a free play, although I'm glad he recognized and threw a good ball. 

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

It is good news that our draft picks are starting to perform on defense.

OTOH a bit nervous Eberflus returns.

Yes, that’s the big negative with these wins. 

He can’t be back, with or without a new QB next year 

21 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I think the whole Alan Williams thing really screwed with this team, especially on defense. It also helps that they have an edge rusher who can pressure the QB consistently. 

I actually think Fields did not play well at all today, despite the pretty good looking stats. I definitely think he looked better against Minnesota and the last time they played Detroit. Lots of overthrows on throws your average NFL QB makes. The TD was on a free play, although I'm glad he recognized and threw a good ball. 

Yeah, the other thing is just when fields takes a negative play it’s like a 15 yard loss, and they happen a lot. 

But he was nails late in the game, on a few of those first downs. Liked seeing that

2 hours ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Typical Fields game: several plays where you see the talent (Mooney pass, Scramble on the 1st half, 3rd down, last drive for 61 yards), and then there’s everything else (Fumbling again, holding onto the ball too long, double clutching open pass to Mooney, Red zone failures). Can we please move on from him next season?

I am pretty convinced it’s time to draft someone else. He can be Superman but he just isn’t it on a regular basis. 

22 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I am pretty convinced it’s time to draft someone else. He can be Superman but he just isn’t it on a regular basis. 

I think the contract situation isn't ideal either. Even if he is the guy (he isn't), you're gonna have to sign him to a big contract after next season. And then the advantage of having a cheap QB is gone. If you get the #1 pick, you draft a new QB. Williams has his flaws, but you can't not take him if you have the chance. 

12 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I think the contract situation isn't ideal either. Even if he is the guy (he isn't), you're gonna have to sign him to a big contract after next season. And then the advantage of having a cheap QB is gone. If you get the #1 pick, you draft a new QB. Williams has his flaws, but you can't not take him if you have the chance. 

Next year will be his 4th year, so they can (and would) use their 5th year option, so you don’t have to commit to him long term yet…however, they would need to make the decision on the 5th year option before the season starts next year, so there is a decision to be made. 

Very tricky situation. If the team continues to play like this to close the year, you absolutely have a core to work with moving forward. The defense needs to increase the pass rush but the 2nd and 3rd layers look good and you can tag JJ in the offseason. With or without Fields, they are ready to compete for a playoff spot. Do you put those hopes on Fields again, while using your draft capital to shore things up, or use your No. 1 on what you think is your next franchise QB, hoping to get some capital back for Fields, and still having pick 8-10 to use on an OL or DE

23 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Contract is real - but in fairness they have him without needing to go long term for 3 more years. Last year of rookie deal is next year, fifth year option the following year and than you could franchise him if you wanted. 

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

Next year will be his 4th year, so they can (and would) use their 5th year option, so you don’t have to commit to him long term yet…however, they would need to make the decision on the 5th year option before the season starts next year, so there is a decision to be made. 

Very tricky situation. If the team continues to play like this to close the year, you absolutely have a core to work with moving forward. The defense needs to increase the pass rush but the 2nd and 3rd layers look good and you can tag JJ in the offseason. With or without Fields, they are ready to compete for a playoff spot. Do you put those hopes on Fields again, while using your draft capital to shore things up, or use your No. 1 on what you think is your next franchise QB, hoping to get some capital back for Fields, and still having pick 8-10 to use on an OL or DE

I do think Seattle and Atlanta would be in play for Fields potentially. Raiders as well. In ideal scenario maybe get a 2nd rounder this year and a 2nd rounder next year. 

55 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Yes, you can absolutely not take him.

I will repeat that I will be beyond upset if the Bears don't end up with Fashanu or Alt. Either one would do so, so much for this offense.

• Like 1

lol hearing Reid and Mahomes acting like the refs should have just ignored a blatant lining up offsides.  Toney had like half his foot over the ball, lol.  That dude just needs to go finish his career with the panthers or something 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

lol hearing Reid and Mahomes acting like the refs should have just ignored a blatant lining up offsides.  Toney had like half his foot over the ball, lol.  That dude just needs to go finish his career with the panthers or something 

They  have a Matt Nagy curse.

It might be because all the other teams I love suck, but I'm starting to dig the Bears. If they only could have won 2 they almost had to try to lose to Denver and Detroit.  They would be looking like perhaps a playoff team. The flus may save his job.