2023-24 NFL Season Thread

8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I would love Sunday to mean something - even if it is a few percent chance. Would be fun. 

Think from an overall vibe standpoint (how much that really means is up to you) it’s gonna mean something, given it’s the Pack. 

Beat the piss out of them 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I would love Sunday to mean something - even if it is a few percent chance. Would be fun. 

It would feel a lot like what the Lions did last year when they beat GB to keep them out of the playoffs.

4 hours ago, fathom said:

If Bears do keep Fields, I assume we see a trade to the Patriots for their pick, additional picks, etc.  Bears should draft MHJ

I have to admit, I love the idea of picking up an extra 1st in ‘25 from either NE or Wash now that Arizona is out of the way, and adding MHJ. When Arizona looked like they might pick 2 I wasn’t sure this would work.

7 hours ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

I'm on the sticking with Fields camp because he has shown improvement and I do believe he will eventually "get it". Bears better not eff it up if they let him go and draft another QB, not only are we setting the clock back on a team that is looking like it will compete sooner rather than later, but it would be classic Bears to let JF walk, watch him become a top 10 QB under competent coaching and draft a complete bust lol

I’m willing to accept that risk. Another classic Bears scenario would be passing on another QB to retain Fields, and there ends up being another tremendous talent like Stroud who produces immediately. Meanwhile the Bears move on from Fields after 24’.

19 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I’m willing to accept that risk. Another classic Bears scenario would be passing on another QB to retain Fields, and there ends up being another tremendous talent like Stroud who produces immediately. Meanwhile the Bears move on from Fields after 24’.

If the Bears were sitting there with what, 2 firsts and 3 seconds in 24 (after trading down to #3 for example), and they have Harrison and an O like that continues to have upgrades, and Fields is somehow THAT MUCH of a problem next year, they are still potentially in a place to move on from him.

1 hour ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Such as Daniels or Nix...Penix, etc.  Daniels up to third pick in a number of mocks, Nix and Penix in the teens usually.

Of course, SF fortuitously survived both Garoppolo and Lance, no worse for wear. The anti-Bears.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Yep, I’m ready to move on.  I don’t care what Fields is doing against mediocre teams in garbage time.  The Falcons may not have been officially eliminated yet but when your team is starting Taylor Heinicke at QB, you are already finished.

I just pray that Eberflus returning next year is a fake news.  Hire an entirely new coaching staff, take a QB with #1, and recoup by trying to get back a 2nd rounder for Fields from the Falcons.  Let the Falcons pay Fields the huge contract and find out if he is legit.  I think they would be more than happy to for a 2nd round pick.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If the Bears were sitting there with what, 2 firsts and 3 seconds in 24 (after trading down to #3 for example), and they have Harrison and an O like that continues to have upgrades, and Fields is somehow THAT MUCH of a problem next year, they are still potentially in a place to move on from him.

You can’t just assume that if the Bears trade down yet again, they will get a high enough pick to draft the best QB available.  At #1 overall, you have a shot at the best QB in the draft unless you choose poorly (like the Bears with Trubisky and like the Panthers with Young).

CJ Stroud is already the man in his rookie season.  Fields is still unproven in his third season.  I’m not taking a chance on missing out on a Stroud-type talent again.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

27 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You can’t assume that if the Bears trade down yet again, that they get the #1 overall pick for a third straight year.  And if you don’t have the #1 overall pick or at least a very high pick in the draft, you likely aren’t getting the best QB in the draft.

CJ Stroud is already the man in his rookie season.  Fields is still unproven in his third season.  I’m not taking a chance on missing a Stroud-type talent again.

Not what I said. 

If the Bears have 3 seconds and two firsts in 2025, and they’ve missed the playoffs to the point they’ve fully lost confidence in Fields so they’re at least holding one top 12 or so pick (probably two but not certain, let’s assume they traded for Washington’s 1st and 2nd round picks in 25) they’re in solid position to trade up for a QB without having to empty their full draft.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Not what I said. 

If the Bears have 3 seconds and two firsts in 2025, and they’ve missed the playoffs to the point they’ve fully lost confidence in Fields so they’re at least holding one top 12 or so pick (probably two but not certain, let’s assume they traded for Washington’s 1st and 2nd round picks in 25) they’re in solid position to trade up for a QB without having to empty their full draft.

You are doing way too much maneuvering in your head and making way too many assumptions at this point in time to predict 2025.  How can you even know that the Bears would have a top 12 or so pick in 2025, at this time, based on a trade down?  The Bears own pick likely won’t be as high as 12 in 2025 because they will probably be at least an average or above average team by then.  And you don’t always end up trading down the #1 overall pick with a terrible team.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I have to admit, I love the idea of picking up an extra 1st in ‘25 from either NE or Wash now that Arizona is out of the way, and adding MHJ. When Arizona looked like they might pick 2 I wasn’t sure this would work.

Me too. 

24 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You are doing way too much maneuvering in your head and making way too many assumptions at this point in time to predict 2025.  How can you even know that the Bears would have a top 12 or so pick in 2025, at this time, based on a trade down?  The Bears own pick likely won’t be as high as 12 in 2025 because they will probably be at least an average or above average team by then.  And you don’t always end up trading down the #1 overall pick with a terrible team.

Because if the Bears aren’t terrible they won’t be replacing Justin Fields and won’t need a QB. Pretty straightforward.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Because if the Bears aren’t terrible they won’t be replacing Justin Fields and won’t need a QB. Pretty straightforward.

There’s a difference between your team not being terrible and your team not having a franchise QB that can win a Super Bowl.

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

There’s a difference between your team not being terrible and your team not having a franchise QB that can win a Super Bowl.

So which QB this year is guaranteed to be that since you know they are?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So which QB this year is guaranteed to be that since you know they are?

I never claimed to know the answer to that question.  But I do know that Justin Fields can’t consistently read his receivers and is also prone to giving up too many turnovers in the form of late game interceptions and fumbles.

But since you like to ask so many follow-up questions, do you think that Fields is as good as Manning, Brady, Mahomes, and Stafford?

I’m going to be lazy and just use passer rating.  Sorry, but my expectations are higher than what Fields currently is after 3 years of development.

Justin Fields:

2021 — 73.2

2022 — 85.2

2023 — 85.8

CJ Stroud:

2023 — 99.0

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Fire 1

8 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I never claimed to know the answer to that question.  But I do know that Justin Fields can’t consistently read his receivers and is also prone to giving up too many turnovers in the form of late game interceptions and fumbles.

But since you like to ask so many follow-up questions, do you think that Fields is as good as Manning, Brady, Mahomes, and Stafford?

I’m going to be lazy and just use passer rating.  Sorry, but my expectations are higher than what Fields currently is after 3 years of development.

Justin Fields:

2021 — 73.2

2022 — 85.2

2023 — 85.8

CJ Stroud:

2023 — 99.0

I bet Fields QBR goes up next year if the Bears add Maserati Marv to the mix. If he plays like he played yesterday in playoff games, he’s definitely good enough to win a Super Bowl.  I get everyone’s feeling from both sides, but I think the point about the Bears , if they didn’t draft a QB this year, worst case scenario being pretty set with draft capital because of it, to draft one next year.is spot on.  It worked pretty well this year. They have Moore, Stevenson, Wright, the first pick this year, and a second next year. They get a similar haul for this pick, and all their bases are covered. I did read an article a few weeks old where ex NFL GMs said Fields would only get the Bears a second or third rounder. The talent is there. I agree he is inconsistent, but he has thrown some unreal balls, and his legs are such a weapon. Maybe I’m drinking the kool aide, but this team isn’t far away from being really good. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Justin Fields:

2021 — 73.2

2022 — 85.2

2023 — 85.8

CJ Stroud:

2023 — 99.0

Josh Allen’s career QB eating is 92.1 and it’s hung between 92 and 96 the last 3 years. He hasn’t been able to get over the hump, but that literally came down to one coin flip. 

So while yes, I wanted to see more from Fields this year, especially at the start of the season, I’m not sure I’m dumping him yet, if I can still add MHJ and also another trove of high draft picks.

• Like 2

If the Bears don’t draft Caleb with the first pick, they absolutely have to draft MHJ.  I don’t think Fields is the guy, but if they want to flex the 5th year option then you have to get Marv.  At the very worst, if Fields busts out next year then the Bears have a very ready made offense for either a free agent QB or whoever they would draft 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I bet Fields QBR goes up next year if the Bears add Maserati Marv to the mix. If he plays like he played yesterday in playoff games, he’s definitely good enough to win a Super Bowl.  I get everyone’s feeling from both sides, but I think the point about the Bears , if they didn’t draft a QB this year, worst case scenario being pretty set with draft capital because of it, to draft one next year.is spot on.  It worked pretty well this year. They have Moore, Stevenson, Wright, the first pick this year, and a second next year. They get a similar haul for this pick, and all their bases are covered. I did read an article a few weeks old where ex NFL GMs said Fields would only get the Bears a second or third rounder. The talent is there. I agree he is inconsistent, but he has thrown some unreal balls, and his legs are such a weapon. Maybe I’m drinking the kool aide, but this team isn’t far away from being really good. 

This is exactly the same thing Bears fans were saying last year. Granted, there were games which flashed his potential - but not consistently enough to warrant passing over a QB again. Especially at our position where every single QB is on the board. 

Edited by Flash Tizzle

4 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

This is exactly the same thing Bears fans were saying last year. Granted, there were games which flashed his potential - but not consistently enough to warrant passing over a QB again. Especially at our position where every single QB is on the board. 

Do you feel that Caleb Williams or Drake Maye will put up a better season in 2024 than Fields did in 2023? Actually  asking. 

15 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

If the Bears don’t draft Caleb with the first pick, they absolutely have to draft MHJ.  I don’t think Fields is the guy, but if they want to flex the 5th year option then you have to get Marv.  At the very worst, if Fields busts out next year then the Bears have a very ready made offense for either a free agent QB or whoever they would draft 

My problem with that scenario is, entering next year there’s no telling which talent will be available, or where they draft, to find a QB replacement. There are several legitimate QB prospects coming out of this draft. And with their position at number one, they have enough time and resources to make the right choice. You cannot just pass on Stroud and Williams/Maye/Daniels in consecutive years, and survive as GM. Unless Fields outperforms them all. Which would be the only reason for not drafting them, right? That your people believed he was better?

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Do you feel that Caleb Williams or Drake Maye will put up a better season in 2024 than Fields did in 2023? Actually  asking. 

Yes. I believe both could with the passing stats. Daniels too. I don’t feel Fields is terrible; however, I think this opportunity should be taken to improve at that position

9 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I think it worked out pretty well they traded the pick. I get your position. I just think the Bears maximize their offseaon haul trading the pick, and if Fields doesn't get better, he's at least not terrible, they would probably have 2 high firsts and at least 2 high seconds in 2025 which would be more than enough to get them at the top of the draft again.

• Like 1