2023-24 NFL Season Thread

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

See White Sox fans and Renteria.  Be careful what you wish for. 

He's the ultimate in coaching to the mediocre record. The Marty schottenhiemer of today. 

52 minutes ago, ptatc said:

He's the ultimate in coaching to the mediocre record. The Marty schottenhiemer of today. 

The problem is Grifol makes Ventura Bevington and TLR almost palatable.

At least 2012 Ventura after the Ozzie exit madness, and not the indifferent collapsing clubhouse version.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

This might be the literal worst take I’ve ever seen. A guy who literally can never have a team go below .500 no matter how bad they look on paper and you have negative words to say about him. I think every 5+ win team makes the playoffs if he’s their coach, Pittsburgh has about that overall talent level.

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

At the QB position it has been abysmal

And they still win 9+ games every year. That alone is a testament to their coach. They have no QB, but their coach is so good they are competitive for the playoffs every single year.

Because their coach is so good, their GM can’t get in a position to draft a QB. I will take that coach and be ok with it?

Free fall for the White Sox is a .377 winning pace. Free fall for the Steelers is a .588 pace?

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

And they still win 9+ games every year. That alone is a testament to their coach. They have no QB, but their coach is so good they are competitive for the playoffs every single year.

Because their coach is so good, their GM can’t get in a position to draft a QB. I will take that coach and be ok with it?

Free fall for the White Sox is a .377 winning pace. Free fall for the Steelers is a .588 pace?

Balta I know you are desperate to correct minor details but I said they are wasting good defenses, the qb position has been s%*# since Ben retired.  Quit creating arguments where there are none, I never said Tomlin sucks

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

Balta I know you are desperate to correct minor details but I said they are wasting good defenses, the qb position has been s%*# since Ben retired.  Quit creating arguments where there are none, I never said Tomlin sucks

You said they were in free fall. How is this a free fall? They have been doing the most impressive hovering I have ever seen. They aren’t amazing without a QB, but they are the absolute definition of solid. I cant cite a more consistently excellent coaching job in the NFL. Maybe Reid?

They need to take a QB gamble if one becomes available because the last one didn’t work. But there should be no negative words said about that coaching job by anyone, and like 25 teams should dump their coach for him if he’s available.

33 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Never saw Ptac with that kind of a take for a coach who consistently made the playoffs in KC, only to almost always end in predictable heartbreak.  Two runs in SD too.

32 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You said they were in free fall. How is this a free fall? They have been doing the most impressive hovering I have ever seen. They aren’t amazing without a QB, but they are the absolute definition of solid. I cant cite a more consistently excellent coaching job in the NFL. Maybe Reid?

They need to take a QB gamble if one becomes available because the last one didn’t work. But there should be no negative words said about that coaching job by anyone, and like 25 teams should dump their coach for him if he’s available.

Harbaugh and Vrabel have to be way up there.

McVay should be Coach of the Year but won't.

27 minutes ago, bmags said:

Now bears interview Roman. First guy not on my preferences, I think he’s lost his fastball and failed to find a new passing scheme that works.

Is this a - what would you do with Justin interview? If they hire Roman to me that means they are rolling with Justin for a year. I wouldn’t love Roman with any of the other qbs. 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

The problem is Grifol makes Ventura Bevington and TLR almost palatable.

At least 2012 Ventura after the Ozzie exit madness, and not the indifferent collapsing clubhouse version.

What the heck does that gave to do with a coach who has never had a losing season but can't win when it matters? 

Except when he inherited someone else's team of course. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

This might be the literal worst take I’ve ever seen. A guy who literally can never have a team go below .500 no matter how bad they look on paper and you have negative words to say about him. I think every 5+ win team makes the playoffs if he’s their coach, Pittsburgh has about that overall talent level.

He also can never win the big games in the regular season. He coaches to mediocrity. Never awful never good. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

As I said this is the view of many fans out of Pittsburgh. I never said that was my view. Although I get their frustration. Losing to 2 win teams consecutively causes them to freak. 

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

They are going to fire their coach too. Maybe Poles was smart cause If Eagles and Cowboys open up that is a massive number of openings. 

Don't be surprised if Pittsburgh is looking for one as well. 

10 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

he can demand that all he wants, I don’t think anyone is giving him that until he shows that he can win in the NFL consistently.  And even then, there is like one guy in the nfl who has that, and he is the best QB in the league 

I’m starting to come around to the idea that Williams should be the quarterback they select with the number one pick. It could be the turning point that the franchise definitely needs. The fact that Williams declared and nothing weird has come officially come out makes me think he’s got good character so far. I’d have to evaluate his football tape but it’s probably very good if he’s considered to be generational. Now I wonder if Poles wants this to be the signature move and hope this turns out like Mahomes like in KC. Then they could trade Fields even if I don’t see them getting a first rounder for him, unless the market comes around for it with Atlanta and Pittsburgh.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Now bears interview Roman. First guy not on my preferences, I think he’s lost his fastball and failed to find a new passing scheme that works.

Maybe the coordinator they hire will reveal what the Bears will do with the number one pick. Waldron is still my number one choice. You’d have to think the Bears asked about assessing Fields and Williams and want to know if the coordinator will stay to develop that quarterback. I’ll be curious if Frank Reich gets an interview because of his relationship with Eberflus.

31 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

They are going to fire their coach too. Maybe Poles was smart cause If Eagles and Cowboys open up that is a massive number of openings. 

It will be interesting to see where Vrabel, Harbaugh and Belichick interview and end up. I’ll be curious to see if the Eagles actually move on from Nick Sirianni with two years left on the contract.

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Orioles' attacks brought out a little feistiness from you...

Not me. Just read the reports out of Pittsburgh. Did you see the press conference with Tomlin?