2023-24 NFL Season Thread

46 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

At some point he had to let everyone know that Fields was for sale. If not the combine, when? We already knew coming in the market for him was thin. 

I’m fine with cutting losses and trading Fields for a 3rd rounder. In the scenario ss2k5 presented, let’s say we are now weeks into free agency and Fields is still here. Are we willing to hold out and keep him on the roster past the draft? If the answer is no, then it’s not worth the headaches to MAYBE get a 2nd round pick. 

There is absolutley no way the Bears will keep Justin Fields past the draft. Taking Caleb Willimas at #1 and then brining back Fields would be creating so much unnecessary drama. Poles and company are losing more and more leverage with each passing day. Let's hope there is an actual bidding war going on behind the scenes for Fields, but something tells me he already would have been traded if that was the case. 

40 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

There is absolutley no way the Bears will keep Justin Fields past the draft. Taking Caleb Willimas at #1 and then brining back Fields would be creating so much unnecessary drama. Poles and company are losing more and more leverage with each passing day. Let's hope there is an actual bidding war going on behind the scenes for Fields, but something tells me he already would have been traded if that was the case. 

I agree, and I’d go a step further and suggest he should be gone before the start of free agency. The Bears benefit from having more trading partners. If we have to wait for Cousins to sign for everything to fall into place, that’s a terrible gamble. Especially if the negotiations carry on for weeks. Or worse if Atlanta signs him and now it’s Pittsburgh and…..Minnesota (which no one wants)

Fields’ trade value shouldn’t be such a concern. You would think we don’t have the number one and number nine pick. If they want a second rounder, just trade down from number nine. Or give up a 2025 second rounder for one this year. 

Edited by Flash Tizzle

55 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

There is absolutely some value in waiting to see where Cousins lands. If he goes back to the Vikings, then Atlanta is gonna be a lot more interested in Fields. And as of right now, as long as Atlanta can chase Cousins, they're not gonna trade for Fields anyways. 

MIke Greenberg was just talking himself into the Giants possibly trading for Fields. I don't see how that'd work, but hey, I wouldn't mind swapping #9 and #6. 

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

There is absolutely some value in waiting to see where Cousins lands. If he goes back to the Vikings, then Atlanta is gonna be a lot more interested in Fields. And as of right now, as long as Atlanta can chase Cousins, they're not gonna trade for Fields anyways. 

MIke Greenberg was just talking himself into the Giants possibly trading for Fields. I don't see how that'd work, but hey, I wouldn't mind swapping #9 and #6. 

I think best case scenario is Cousin(s) stays in Minnesota. If that happens - than I still see Steelers and Falcons as 2 teams who will be interested. I think the Steelers talk of sticking with their current QB's is just that, talk.  That would be a disasterous move (another year of status quo with Kenny Pickets and Mason Rudolph - no chance).  And the good thing is Bo Nix looked bad at the combine - so I think the list of teams who are going to gamble on a QB to be their immediate starter in the draft end after Penix and when you compare Fields and Penix I see why teams would prefer Penix (cost controlled - but nowhere near the physical talent) and why teams would prefer Fields (far more elite talent / view that the Bears didn't put him in right system).

I still think a 2 team battle with Falcons & Steelers for Justin is the best possible outcome for Bears.  I think the floor is they get a 3rd rounder this year and another pick next year.  I think the upside is they get a 2nd this year and another pick (either later round in '24 or another pick in '25).  

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Panicking like a coward isn't a good GM look. 

In the game of misinformation - I think the Steelers touting Rudolph and Pickett is just that, posturing. I presume the Cousin(s) Atlanta stuff is 2 fold - it helps Atlanta gain some leverage on the Bears, but if you are Cousin(s) it also is a win for you cause it gives you more leverage in your negotiations with Minnesota.  

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

In the game of misinformation - I think the Steelers touting Rudolph and Pickett is just that, posturing. I presume the Cousin(s) Atlanta stuff is 2 fold - it helps Atlanta gain some leverage on the Bears, but if you are Cousin(s) it also is a win for you cause it gives you more leverage in your negotiations with Minnesota.  

Again, we all know there are more teams around the NFL that need good QBs than have them.  Someone will pay up to give Fields a chance in their system.  The PR game is just that, a game.

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again, we all know there are more teams around the NFL that need good QBs than have them.  Someone will pay up to give Fields a chance in their system.  The PR game is just that, a game.

Sort of. There will be a game of musical chairs with QB's, but the market for Fields is thin. Here are the realistic suitors:

- Falcons: They are 100% going to make a move at QB, but with the heavy Rams influence on their coaching staff now, not sure Fields is the guy for that system. We'll see

- Browns: Browns are kind of interesting, but moving off of Watson would be catastrophic for their cap, so not sure it can even be done

- Vikings: If Cousins leaves, they might make the most sense, and if you think Fields isn't the guy, trading him in the division shouldn't matter

- Raiders: Interesting fit, and are picking 13 so will be out on the first 3/4 QB's. Could see them taking a swing on Russell Wilson

- Steelers: Still think they make the most sense but not sure if they are interested in Fields

- Titans: Kind of a wild card but if they are in the market for a QB, they should be able to nab a good one at 7

Cousins is going to one of the teams listed above, so you could cross a team off the list already. Let's say he goes back to the Vikings. Titans and Browns are a stretch, so it leaves you ATL, PIT and the Raiders. Wilson probably goes to one of those three teams. So now you are down to two teams realistically. There just isn't a huge market there. 

33 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Is Justin Fields a good QB though? 

That's the thing. Jameis Winston is 100%, in my opinion, better than Mason Rudolph and Kenny Pickett. But he's not good enough and the upside isn't there.

I still think fields finds a spot, but I'm concerned given Getsy's job and the warm market for mooney, it really seems like the NFL is pointing at fields as the problem when most of the bears fan base believed it was his situation.

On 3/4/2024 at 9:07 PM, WhiteSox2023 said:

I wonder if he’s starting at RG or center.  I would guess center since Lucas Patrick is terrible.  This tells me that they aren’t drafting OL at #9.

Per Brad Biggs, Ryan Bates is our new starting center.

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Per Brad Biggs, Ryan Bates is our new starting center.

I can't help but feel like this is Lucas Patrick all over again. 

On 3/5/2024 at 11:41 AM, chw42 said:

I'd like that as it's much more likely that one of the two top tackles are there at 6 than at 9.

5 hours ago, chw42 said:

I can't help but feel like this is Lucas Patrick all over again. 

Let's hope he turns into Jason Kelce. Eerily similar RAS scores. Bears have likes Bates for 2 years now for a reason. We'll see.

In other news, there's reports Bears and Josh Jacobs have mutual interest. Wouldn't mind that at all but only if Saquon's asking price is too much. I much rather have a dynamic homerun back who can also catch the ball well.

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Let's hope he turns into Jason Kelce. Eerily similar RAS scores. Bears have likes Bates for 2 years now for a reason. We'll see.

In other news, there's reports Bears and Josh Jacobs have mutual interest. Wouldn't mind that at all but only if Saquon's asking price is too much. I much rather have a dynamic homerun back who can also catch the ball well.

Austin Ekeler is who intrigues me. Had a down year but the year before had 107 receptions. 27 so aging as a running back but I’d pay him for one or two years. Talk about  safety blanket for a young qb. 

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

No thanks on Jacobs. He fell off a cliff last year. I'd rather them not spend money on average RBs when they could spend it on more premium positions.

If they do decide to spend at RB I'd rather they get someone who is actually a receiving threat. Jacobs is an average RB receiver at best.

Edited by chw42

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Austin Ekeler is who intrigues me. Had a down year but the year before had 107 receptions. 27 so aging as a running back but I’d pay him for one or two years. Talk about  safety blanket for a young qb. 

I like Ekeler as well. He's got more milage on his legs than Barkley does though. Barkley essentially missed a full year from the ACL tear so that is intriguing. But we'll see on the price he asks for and if he wants to come here.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Ekeler looked so slow last year.

Yep. Ekeler looks like he is toast. Dude was painful to watch second half of last year. Looked like he had concrete shoes on. 

Getting Saquon on a 2-3 year reasonable deal would be pretty awesome. Tony Pollard is a free agent as well but he is coming off a disappointing year. 

48 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Yep. Ekeler looks like he is toast. Dude was painful to watch second half of last year. Looked like he had concrete shoes on. 

Getting Saquon on a 2-3 year reasonable deal would be pretty awesome. Tony Pollard is a free agent as well but he is coming off a disappointing year. 

Pollard was so frustrating last year. Part of it was that Dallas had so many mouths to feed on offense last year, but even when he did get chances to run, he was very average. You can't really blame them for not giving him more carries near the goal line when he usually didn't score. 

Unless it's Saquon or an actual difference maker, the Bears should just ride with the RBs they already have. 

There’s lot of cope among Bears fans trying to explain why Poles traded a 5th round pick for Bates, who likely would have been cut from the Bills anyway. 

What’s the most likely scenario here - Poles “got his guy” and wanted to act quickly before he hit the market? Or (I believe the more likely scenario) he was duped by the Bills trying to get something of value before cutting him.  

Which, on its own isn’t a big deal - but my God some of the excuses and justifications is like Sox fans trying to rationalize overpaying for a utility infielder. 

1 hour ago, Flash Tizzle said:

There’s lot of cope among Bears fans trying to explain why Poles traded a 5th round pick for Bates, who likely would have been cut from the Bills anyway. 

What’s the most likely scenario here - Poles “got his guy” and wanted to act quickly before he hit the market? Or (I believe the more likely scenario) he was duped by the Bills trying to get something of value before cutting him.  

Which, on its own isn’t a big deal - but my God some of the excuses and justifications is like Sox fans trying to rationalize overpaying for a utility infielder. 

Could be, though I think Bates could be one of the few players that, if cut, would see a raise on the free agent market compared to their current deal. I'd guess that's where they pinned the value on it, guaranteed his rights plus at a contract they'd like. But they better be right about his evals...they weren't about patrick.