2023-24 NFL Season Thread

people love the joke about the legal tampering period, and though it is probably different than what NFL intended, I think there is value to having a few days for publicly known agreements where players could see if they misjudged with their agents and still had opportunity to back out.

It isn't common, but if so, it allows a player who may be in their "one shot" at a big deal to evaluate. Their agent will get crunched, but it's their fault anyway.

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So weā€™re less than an hour away from free agency opening up. Ā I think we see a couple quick strikes from Poles today. Ā Definitely expecting us to sign one of the more impactful EDGEā€™s (Greenard or Huff being most likely), which is probably the finishing touch (outside of some depth signings) for what should be a high-end defense year next year.

On the offensive side, I still think Saquon is a very real possibility and if so we find in the next few hours. Ā Rumors are that the Eagles are in heavy pursuit, but I do think itā€™s harder to afford a luxury item like Barkley when youā€™re paying your QB top dollar. Ā I know Iā€™m very much in the minority amongst Bear fans, but I would love the addition. Ā Iā€™d much rather pay for him than sign the type of WR who will go for similar money in FA. Ā No doubt we need to add a WR or two in free agency for depth purposes, but I think we should double-dip in the draft to get impactful ones, including taking one at the 1.09 (or via a trade-down).

The O-Line is the other place I could see a bigger signing right off the back, especially at Center. Ā The question quickly becomes is Bates really cemented at Center or does Poles envision him as the backup at all three interior spots. Ā To me, signing a stud Center would be prudent with Williams coming on board and there are a ton of options in free agency. Ā Just not sure what Poles is thinking there and Brad Biggs seems to be suggesting Bates is the plan for Center.

I think they want to end up with one of Wilkins or Hunter as their first option. If they strike out on both, they go Saquon. I guess it is technically possible for them to get one of those guys and Saquon, but then they'd be left with peanuts for other positions of need like EDGE/DI, C, WR3, and TE2.Ā 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Bears gonna land Swift instead of Saquon?

To be honest - that might actually be the better signing.Ā  Saquon has a ton of hype but he hasn't been durable and his numbers are just not eye popping. I'm sure some of that is Giants poor oline and 10 men in the box but I was shocked when I looked at Saquon's numbers and how mediocre his advanced stats were.Ā  Don't get me wrong - if Bears signed him I would be excited cause I think with a rookie QB they can afford to splurge a bit at RB (plus I don't want to use draft capital on the position this year).Ā Ā 

1 hour ago, Milkman delivers said:

People seriously wanted to stick with Fields at QB, and here we are with seemingly no teams willing to give up anything of value for him. Thatā€™s about right with the Bears.

I'm really getting nervous that they're not gonna be able to trade him.Ā Ā 

I still don't like putting money into the RB position, think it's a bad use of resources. But if it doesn't stop them from adding to the OL and DL, fine.Ā 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'm really getting nervous that they're not gonna be able to trade him.Ā Ā 

At this point, while the Bears are...the Bears, Poles has given me very little reason to doubt him. Literally every indicator out there is pointing to Caleb, and I can't see a scenerio where Poles thinks it's a good idea to have Fields and Caleb both at Training Camp. If they are left without a seat when the QB musical chairs stop, someone will take a flyer on him for a 6th, and hopefully Poles has the stones to just eat it and move on.Ā 

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

I still don't like putting money into the RB position, think it's a bad use of resources. But if it doesn't stop them from adding to the OL and DL, fine.Ā 

Spielberger thinks this is for $7 to $8 million a year.Ā 

Swift makes sense to get a better receiving back, but the guy is really injury-prone. I guess it makes sense since they have 2 other decent options at RB. But if we're gonna spend $8 mil a year on a RB, you might as well go after somebody better.Ā 

Player A (2023 Season):Success Rate: 49%
Yards Per Attempt: 4.6
Yard After Contact per: 3.03
Forced Missed Tackles: 33
PFF Rush Grade: 79

Player B (2023 Season):Success Rate: 40%
Yards Per Attempt: 3.9
Yards After Contact per: 2.91
Forced Missed Tackles: 31
PFF Rush Grade: 70

Ā 

Player A is Khalil Herbert, Player B is Saquon.Ā 

Saquon does other things and has value, but the point is spending significant dollars on the RB position is DUMBĀ 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Player A (2023 Season):Success Rate: 49%
Yards Per Attempt: 4.6
Yard After Contact per: 3.03
Forced Missed Tackles: 33
PFF Rush Grade: 79

Player B (2023 Season):Success Rate: 40%
Yards Per Attempt: 3.9
Yards After Contact per: 2.91
Forced Missed Tackles: 31
PFF Rush Grade: 70

Ā 

Player A is Khalil Herbert, Player B is Saquon.Ā 

Saquon does other things and has value, but the point is spending significant dollars on the RB position is DUMBĀ 

You also have to take into account that Saquon plays behind a non-existent offensive line. If you put him in Philly he would have had way better numbers.Ā 

That being said, I agree. You're better off investing $8 million in the offensive line than spending that on a injury-prone RB. I'm going to be mad as hell if they decide to ignore center once again and spend a bunch of money on a RB.Ā 

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1

Herbert never was the same after he wrenched his ankle. Ā I wouldnā€™t mind Foreman being around again but I doubt that is possible seemed like he wasnā€™t happy with his usage last yearĀ 

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Herbert never was the same after he wrenched his ankle. Ā I wouldnā€™t mind Foreman being around again but I doubt that is possible seemed like he wasnā€™t happy with his usage last yearĀ 

He did get better towards the end with 2 really good games against the Falcons and Cardinals. But I'm not sure if that was him or just the Falcons and Cardinals being bad.Ā 

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

You also have to take into account that Saquon plays behind a non-existent offensive line. If you put him in Philly he would have had way better numbers.Ā 

That being said, I agree. You're better off investing $8 million in the offensive line than spending that on an injury-prone RB. I'm going to be mad as hell if they decide to ignore center once again and spend a bunch of money on a RB.Ā 

Isnā€™t Bates the likely center?

23 minutes ago, Tony said:

3yr 24M - it is super cheap and they are getting a low mileage back where you should be paying for his best years, which is what you want to do if you have a RB.Ā  I think Jacobs and Saquon are going to get paid for past production.Ā  Swift is low mileage and still pretty darn young and Bears needed another RB to go with Herbert and Johnson.Ā Ā 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

He did get better towards the end with 2 really good games against the Falcons and Cardinals. But I'm not sure if that was him or just the Falcons and Cardinals being bad.Ā 

His numbers were better but he never had that burst he was showing before he got hurt

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

His numbers were better but he never had that burst he was showing before he got hurt

I expect he will be really dynamic going back to being the 2nd back. Herbert is good - but he can't handle starting minutes.Ā  But the combo of Swift, Herbert, and Johnson is pretty solid.Ā  Most important - Swift is a very good receiver which is something Bears haven't had out of the backfield in a long long time.Ā Ā