2023-24 NFL Season Thread

Mully and Haugh talking about the #9 pick this morning on The Score.  They agreed that you have to take Odunze if he’s still there but he probably won’t be.  I see the Cardinals, Giants, and Chargers taking all three big WRs before #9.  They then said, if one of the OTs is there, you can jump on him.  Otherwise, they thought trading down would make sense.

I tend to agree.  I still jump all over Odunze if he’s there.

51 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Mully and Haugh talking about the #9 pick this morning on The Score.  They agreed that you have to take Odunze if he’s still there but he probably won’t be.  I see the Cardinals, Giants, and Chargers taking all three big WRs before #9.  They then said, if one of the OTs is there, you can jump on him.  Otherwise, they thought trading down would make sense.

I tend to agree.  I still jump all over Odunze if he’s there.

Minnesota will trade up to #3 or #5. If they trade to #3, I don't think it affects the top 10 order much. But if they trade to #5 and take JJ McCarthy, the Giants would be forced to take a WR or OT. If the Titans take Alt or Fashanu, and Atlanta takes Turner, then you're looking at a WR at #9. I honestly do not foresee Alt making it past the Titans. 

Regardless if Odunze or Nabers are available at 9, I think they're trading out of that spot. They're going to be looking to hit at ED/DI/C and WR in the first 2 rounds.

Word is that the Bears are still interested in KJ Osborn after the Allen trade. So it could be that they don't take a WR at all and are looking strictly at ED/C/DI. 

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Minnesota will trade up to #3 or #5. If they trade to #3, I don't think it affects the top 10 order much. But if they trade to #5 and take JJ McCarthy, the Giants would be forced to take a WR or OT. If the Titans take Alt or Fashanu, and Atlanta takes Turner, then you're looking at a WR at #9. I honestly do not foresee Alt making it past the Titans. 

Regardless if Odunze or Nabers are available at 9, I think they're trading out of that spot. They're going to be looking to hit at ED/DI/C and WR in the first 2 rounds.

Word is that the Bears are still interested in KJ Osborn after the Allen trade. So it could be that they don't take a WR at all and are looking strictly at ED/C/DI. 

It really looks like OT or D will be very prominent when the #9 picks rolls around.  WR might still be left.

10 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I tend to think Titans take Alt. Originally I thought Chargers would take Alt - and to be honest I think there is still that chance, but seems likely they take the wideout.  Titans I could see going wideout but I doubt it.  Atlanta is likely going defense (or trade).  

If 4 QB's go - than you need 1 OT and 1 Defensive player for the Bears to have a chance at the 3rd best wideout.  I still think that is the likely outcome.  One wildcard is a team moves up to get that top DE or Top OT.  

If only 3 QB's go - than I think the reality is one of the top 3 wideouts aren't there, but you still are likely getting a shot at one of the top defensive players, but probably would be the #2 defensive player.  Unless Brockers really ends up in the top 10 - maybe after his pro day he'll get some helium but it seems like Brockers is cemented outside of the Top 10 (Chargers aren't taking him over the other wideouts, Atlanta already went Pitts so they aren't doing it again, unless Titans shock us and go that way).  

10 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Wow Aaron Donald retired. That was out of nowhere.

Good for him - finished with a solid season and played most of the year. He was an all time great - I still remember how bummed I was when he got drafted right before the Bears (who were clearly going to select him).  Guy was awesome and I'm glad he's retiring a bit early so hopefully he can enjoy the rest of his life.  

56 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I disagree, I think if they love the WR they take them. Holes aren't filled with depth, they are filled with stars. I think if they trade out it's because they didn't like the WR available. But I could see a great spot now to trade back and get the next tier of WRs in a better position (Thomas Jr)

• Like 1

Vikings are up to something - don't think I've seen a trade like that this soon before.  Pick up 1st round pick from Houston for 2nd rounder this year and next year (plus some other picks).  Not used to seeing a move like that that isn't done on draft day.  

So there is clearly a purpose behind this - whether this is to get them closer to asking price on a top 5 pick to get a QB or they have something else up there sleeves?  (Jefferson and 2 FRP for Herbert - Chargers than draft JJ?).  

52 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Kenny Pickett to Eagles. Not sure what the draft compensation is.  

It's basically a mid 4th rounder if you calculate the difference in pick values. So you've got Howell going for a comp 3rd and Pickett going for a mid 4th. If the Bears truly aren't shopping Fields yet, I think that's like the floor for his value. If they have been shopping him and either nobody is biting or they haven't liked the returns, then I'm not really sure what you'll get for him with the number of backup spots dwindling. 

I guess it's possible that spots can open up after the draft, especially with New England possibly trading out of #3. 

And I know this sounds insane, but if Rodgers somehow actually decides to run for VP with RFK Jr., I doubt he'll be able to play football at the same time. 

48 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It's basically a mid 4th rounder if you calculate the difference in pick values. So you've got Howell going for a comp 3rd and Pickett going for a mid 4th. If the Bears truly aren't shopping Fields yet, I think that's like the floor for his value. If they have been shopping him and either nobody is biting or they haven't liked the returns, then I'm not really sure what you'll get for him with the number of backup spots dwindling. 

I guess it's possible that spots can open up after the draft, especially with New England possibly trading out of #3. 

And I know this sounds insane, but if Rodgers somehow actually decides to run for VP with RFK Jr., I doubt he'll be able to play football at the same time. 

I doubt he'll be able to play football (well) anyway, but I don't see him giving up $38 million. It's not like it's a real campaign anyway.

• Like 1

Tired: The Bears are acquiring all these weapons for Caleb

Wired: Trading down from 1 to acquire even more weapons for Fields

Inspired: Fields is going to become a gadget player. Hilarity ensues.

27 minutes ago, Quin said:

Tired: The Bears are acquiring all these weapons for Caleb

Wired: Trading down from 1 to acquire even more weapons for Fields

Inspired: Fields is going to become a gadget player. Hilarity ensues.

It's wild that with all of this we still don't REALLY know who the Bears are planning as their starting QB for 2024.

2 hours ago, chw42 said:

I'm sure I'm biased and I get there may be less teams interested now - but I fully believe that Field(s) has MORE value than both of them, so I agree as of this point Howell is the absolute floor.  I am hoping this is rather Poles is playing a game of chicken with 1 or 2 teams, but already has an offer better than either of these but is being stubborn.

Kind of like when Wentz got traded the 2nd time - everyone knew he was going, but they still got way more than I think anyone expected.  I mean when Wentz went to Washington from Indy - they moved up in the 2nd round (from where they were), plus got a 3rd rounder and a future 3rd rounder.  And that was Wentz moving from 2nd team to 3rd team.  

52 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's wild that with all of this we still don't REALLY know who the Bears are planning as their starting QB for 2024.

Swift was Field(s) teammate at Georgia and my understanding is they were pretty good friend(s) and still are friendly.  He reached out to Justin and has heard NOTHING. Either Justin is entirely in on this and this is the greatest single "bluff" in the history of football (to get the haul) or Justin and everyone internally knows and you just have random fan boys still acting like Field(s) is staying.

Or it really is - Poles wants to move Justin but has told teams - I need to have the pro-days and cement my decision.  So he really is telling teams - give me your offers - but unless someone blows me away and force(s) my hand - I'm not dealing until later on this month.  

2 hours ago, chw42 said:

Jets, Rams (Stafford replacement and they actually have a lot of mid-round picks - although Jimmy G is there now too), Broncos (not that I think Payton and Field(s) are a fit, but Payton has had other QB's that were very much not like Brees), Dolphins (Tua needs a backup), and Steelers (Wilson is there - but whose to say they don't make it an open competition).  

Giants probably aren't - cause if they draft JJ like is rumored, I presume Jones is fine as your bridge QB.