2023-24 NFL Season Thread

33 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Caleb Williams experience is going to be amazing.  If nothing else, I can't recall a more polarizing #1 draft pick.  People are really convinced that he is either a generational QB or he is a mental case and the next Ryan Leaf waiting to happen, and there seems to be no middle ground to be had.  I truly cannot think of a dude that has been more divisive at this stage.

30 minutes ago, Tony said:

I feel like a lot of those concerns aren't based nationally, but more Chicago-based from the Fields cult. 

I think it’s mostly Chicago-based, but more superstition than anything else. People seem to just believe that he can’t be good because he’s going to the Bears.

25 minutes ago, Tony said:

I feel like a lot of those concerns aren't based nationally, but more Chicago-based from the Fields cult. 

I think the fact that Williams has been the likely #1 pick for more than 2 years and has been known to be such also put some extra scrutiny on every decision he made in college that isn't the case for other QBs. "Williams is crying after a game? That's a horrible thing for a future #1 pick." 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tony said:

Also the sheer number of notre dame fans that live in chicago where it was the only game they saw of him and how fans love to take the position of someone being "overrated"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Milkman delivers said:

People seem to just believe that he can’t be good because he’s going to the Bears.

And in 2024, I can't blame people much for that belief. 

The development of a QB doesn't stop when a player leaves college, and thus far the Bears have shown they have been unable to "figure out" the position. Not saying someone like Mitch would have been a stud if he went to someplace like the 49ers, but there has been too much history on the Bears side to just say the "players" have always been the wrong guy. 

• Like 1

I will just state - I am even more excited after the weekend - ready to rock and roll. #1 overall pick who is not a reach (he could still suck - he could get hurt first game with some horrific injury) and with the Bears not having to mortgage the farm or anything to get him.  Its literally the opposite of any time in my life the Bears have gotten a QB.

The only close example would have been Mitch - and with Mitch they still did trade up.  But it was the right move (in terms of getting a QB) - they just picked the wrong QB and than put a TON of assets into the defense vs. building around the QB (Allen Robinson is the only major move I recall Bears making at the time - oline was not invested, etc).

This year - they are basically 2 years into the rebuild - punted in their true rebuild year (since year 1 they had to tear it down and were still missing picks thanks to the Field(s) trade) and started building the foundation.  Now they have the foundation in much better shape - have 2 top 10 picks - TONS of draft capital next year - young parts on the oline (I won't call it a great oline though - and I still think they need to add a 1st round LT or a high-end guard) - weapons at receiver (and still need a young part), solid running backs, 2 TE's, and an experienced OC.  

Oh and the cap situation is VERY GOOD.  

I think getting an edge now, or Byron Murphy, is totally defensible, as is getting a tackle.

BUT, it sure feels like, even while expensive, that top edge talent comes available far more often than top ten receiver talent right now. 

Packers showed you can build a top WR corps in later rounds, but bears...have not. May be last shot at getting a well rounded bigger, faster, stronger guy to anchor the corps regardless.

I'd take Odunze if he is there, but also would be ok if they traded down and took an AD Mitchell / Brian Thomas. They earned the ability to take them by not needing them year 1.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think getting an edge now, or Byron Murphy, is totally defensible, as is getting a tackle.

BUT, it sure feels like, even while expensive, that top edge talent comes available far more often than top ten receiver talent right now. 

Packers showed you can build a top WR corps in later rounds, but bears...have not. May be last shot at getting a well rounded bigger, faster, stronger guy to anchor the corps regardless.

I'd take Odunze if he is there, but also would be ok if they traded down and took an AD Mitchell / Brian Thomas. They earned the ability to take them by not needing them year 1.

So as much as I want a wideout - I think you find top end wideouts later in the draft more than you find top end LT's and High End pass rushers.  Now I think one of those spots could potentially be addressed in next year's draft - but I absolutely could see a scenario of some of the Non Top 3 wideouts being better than the top 3 ones (maybe not better than MHJ) - but I 100% could see a scenario where one of the long list of very good wide receiving prospects ends up being a legit #1.  

I happen to be a huge fan of Dallas Turner and clearly if Joe Alt is there or they view any of the other LT prospects as a high end LT than I'm big on that (I don't care that Braxton was a good fine - a solid LT is not an elite LT and if you can get an elite one to pair with Caleb for the next 10+ years - YOU DO IT).  

2 hours ago, Tony said:

I liked Fields. the only concern I have with Williams is he will be a rookie next year. Most rookie QBs have a bit of a problem their first year. The Bears should be better than most teams who pick #1, but there's going to be a learning curve, and that could be tough if its playoffs or bust.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I liked Fields. the only concern I have with Williams is he will be a rookie next year. Most rookie QBs have a bit of a problem their first year. The Bears should be better than most teams who pick #1, but there's going to be a learning curve, and that could be tough if its playoffs or bust.

We are aligned - I would love if Williams came out like Stroud and this team made the playoffs, but more than anything I Hope 2nd half of the season we are seeing regular positives and a ton of upside from Caleb and the whole team and ideally this is a team that finishes strong.  I am fine if they win 8 or 9 games and it is they had a rocky start and finished winning 5 of 7 or something like that. 

25 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’ve seen a bunch of mocks the last two days, and in every one the Bears could either see Odunze or one of Verse/Turner.

I still think Poles wants more picks and probably moves down, but if they stay at 9, they’ll should be able to grab someone who plays a huge role for them.

I would get more excited from Odunze, but simply because he’s a WR and plays an offensive position, drafting the right DE is probably much more rational from a team needs perspective 

13 minutes ago, Tony said:

I’ve seen a bunch of mocks the last two days, and in every one the Bears could either see Odunze or one of Verse/Turner.

I still think Poles wants more picks and probably moves down, but if they stay at 9, they’ll should be able to grab someone who plays a huge role for them.

I would get more excited from Odunze, but simply because he’s a WR and plays an offensive position, drafting the right DE is probably much more rational from a team needs perspective 

It has definitely started to become chalk now with 4 QBs in top 8. That is wild, but hard to see that happening without a WR getting to 9. But I"m sure we'll find that it's far from certain.

I think it will be too hard to say no to Odunze/Nabers. But I'm good trading down just want a WR.

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

I still think Poles wants more picks and probably moves down, but if they stay at 9, they’ll should be able to grab someone who plays a huge role for them

I don't see any scenario where one of Odunze / Turner aren't there.  And if they aren't there - than it means Nabers or Alt slid.  The only scenario where one less is there is a scenario where less QB's go before 9.  

I also think Poles has telegraphed a lot the past week. He has been making depth move after depth move, presumably shoring up for the fact that they won't have round 4th-7th picks or many of those picks - most of which those picks are good for is "depth". Yes, you will ocassionally pull something out from there - but in general, especially in short-term, those are depth moves.

Poles has added all kinds of depth moves - which tells me 1), he knows this isn't a deep draft, and 2) he probably isn't going to have many picks in the back end / many picks in general.  2 - I think he's focused on adding 2 blue chip starters in Round 1 and than hoping to get one eventual starter with his other 2 picks (3rd & 4th rounder).  

Could he add a 2nd or a 3rd by moving back a few picks - sure. But he's going to have to move back 5-7 picks to get a 2nd rounder.  If he does that - how many blue chip players does he have in the draft?  If he only has 12-14 - he isn't going to move back, regardless of it getting him a 2nd rounder - as it gets him into a whole other caliber of talent.  

Now if he does have 3 or 4 players still on the board that he loves - than I could absolutely see him moving back a few picks (but again - those other players have to grade out pretty similarly). 

If Minny goes up to get a QB (or someone else does) and 4 QB's go - I don't know that the Bears are going to see some team dying to move up - unless it is to get the final wideout. This is where IT could get interesting. If Bengals wanted a wideout longer term - do you move down with them and sign an extend Higgins. Its a TON of money in receiving room - but Bears could do it knowing Keenan is a short timer.  

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You have to take Odunze if he’s there at 9.  Allen is 32 years old.  We have him for 1 year, maybe 2-3 if Poles works an extension.  Odunze gives Caleb a ridiculous receiving core now and into the future.

It absolutely does, but they have a gapping hole on the other end of Sweat, and I don’t know how you fill that spot with a true impact player unless it’s a DE no matter what in the 2nd round. With so few picks, and one already accounted for in a QB, Poles has to execute this perfectly. 

• Like 1

Also wonder if Poles doesn’t try and get back into the 2nd round by trading next years 2nd and maybe a 5th next year, just to balance things out a little bit more. They have 4 picks in 2024 and 9 in 

56 minutes ago, Tony said:

Also wonder if Poles doesn’t try and get back into the 2nd round by trading next years 2nd and maybe a 5th next year, just to balance things out a little bit more. They have 4 picks in 2024 and 9 in 

I wouldn't put it past him - although my preference would have been to just buy your way out of the situation - whether a 1yr deal with Chase Young or poke around and see who else becomes a cap casualty or just continue to monitor the free agent marketplace. 

You still have Clowney out there - who isn't a bad option. He put up 9.5 sacks last year on a good Ravens defense.  Maybe they resign Ngakoue...don't know what his recovery looks like from that injury.  I'd prefer Clowney.  Eagles might have a few that free up as well - whether Hassan Reddick or someone else?  I think Sweat restructured so he's off the table. 

23 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I wouldn't put it past him - although my preference would have been to just buy your way out of the situation - whether a 1yr deal with Chase Young or poke around and see who else becomes a cap casualty or just continue to monitor the free agent marketplace. 

You still have Clowney out there - who isn't a bad option. He put up 9.5 sacks last year on a good Ravens defense.  Maybe they resign Ngakoue...don't know what his recovery looks like from that injury.  I'd prefer Clowney.  Eagles might have a few that free up as well - whether Hassan Reddick or someone else?  I think Sweat restructured so he's off the table. 

I am not a big Clowney fan but I would rather take Odunze and try to fill in the gap on the other side of Sweat with a one year guy.  Chase Young just signed with the Saints for 1-year at $13 million guaranteed.  Regarding Clowney and Reddick…

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, Tony said:

It's why depending on how the first 8 picks go, could really see him trading down for multiple extra picks this year.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Another example of the weirdness around Williams. Brett Farve went to Southern Mississippi,  how did he turn out?Screenshot_20240318_204930_Facebook.jpg

His son also plays football in freaking Colorado...