Cubs Thread 2023

Buehrle>Wood

53 minutes ago, wegner said:

With no game 163 anymore, Miami has the tiebreaker over the Cubs so I would think Miami has the advantage looking at those schedules. Reds could also go on a crazy streak like they have earlier in the season.

The three pitchers the Rockies are throwing against the Cubs are awful.  I think the Marlins are in trouble against the Brewers aces.

22 minutes ago, fathom said:

The three pitchers the Rockies are throwing against the Cubs are awful.  I think the Marlins are in trouble against the Brewers aces.

This weekend could turn the tide but the Cubs have been playing some pretty bad baseball lately. I was looking more at the last 6 games of the season actually. The Braves are just damn good and I am sure the Brewers would love to eliminate the Cubs. The Cubs have to be a game better than Miami with no game 163.

• 2 weeks later...

I fully accept my admitted Cub hatred makes me a biased source...but am I the only one who has felt like he's on crazy pills throughout this oddly celebrated Cubs season?  They went out and signed a bunch of free agents; I figured they'd be around .500.  They ended up a couple games over in a shitty division and fell apart down the stretch, not unlike last season for the Sox.  In other words, who cares?  But there's this exuberant feeling around the team -- even after the choke. I just don't get it.

It reminds me of the Bears offseason.   It was conventional wisdom that things were "going really well" even though an unbiased outsider would have a hard time finding an objective basis for optimism.  The cool thing to say was "the White Sox should just let Ryan Poles run the team" ...like the architect of the 3-14 Bears was this proven winner.  Probably the same set of fans driving each phenomenon, now that I think about it -- I am hit hard every Fall by the realization that I'm now sharing a team with Cub fans. OK, rant over.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I fully accept my admitted Cub hatred makes me a biased source...but am I the only one who has felt like he's on crazy pills throughout this oddly celebrated Cubs season?  They went out and signed a bunch of free agents; I figured they'd be around .500.  They ended up a couple games over in a shitty division and fell apart down the stretch, not unlike last season for the Sox.  In other words, who cares?  But there's this exuberant feeling around the team -- even after the choke. I just don't get it.

It reminds me of the Bears offseason.   It was conventional wisdom that things were "going really well" even though an unbiased outsider would have a hard time finding an objective basis for optimism.  The cool thing to say was "the White Sox should just let Ryan Poles run the team" ...like the architect of the 3-14 Bears was this proven winner.  Probably the same set of fans driving each phenomenon, now that I think about it -- I am hit hard every Fall by the realization that I'm now sharing a team with Cub fans. OK, rant over.

If you must watch the NFL, there are up to 31 better alternatives than rooting for the adult species of cubs.

Family and other old timers I knew over the years hated Halas and the Bears, especially after the Cardinals were forced to move to Saint Louis. They tried moving to Evanston, but Halas blocked that just as Halas, Marshall and Mara banned black players after the success of Cardinals star Duke Slater.

Proud to have been a Steelers and Packers fan in the 1970s - 1990s before I stopped following the sport.

#NeverBears

8 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

a bunch?  I only recall two major ones.

They had injuries at the wrong time. 

They can spend and they can develop. Is wish the Sox were like that. The Sox spend but it doesn't work for them. I'm jealous of the North Side and not bitter.  I'd take Ross on a bad day over Grifol on a good day,

14 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

a bunch?  I only recall two major ones.

They had injuries at the wrong time. 

They can spend and they can develop. Is wish the Sox were like that. The Sox spend but it doesn't work for them. I'm jealous of the North Side and not bitter.  I'd take Ross on a bad day over Grifol on a good day,

I mean, off the top of my head Bellinger, Swanson, Suzuki -- a third of their lineup.  Stroman, Taillon:  40% of their starting rotation.  That's not my point, though.  If you're jealous of a barely over .500 season and missing the playoffs even the Sox might be able to satisfy you pretty easily.  You can speculate about the future of any team -- hell, people were penciling the Sox into future WS two seasons ago -- but these Cubs haven't done anything yet that's impressive. 

On 10/6/2023 at 8:40 AM, 35thstreetswarm said:

I mean, off the top of my head Bellinger, Swanson, Suzuki -- a third of their lineup.  Stroman, Taillon:  40% of their starting rotation.  That's not my point, though.  If you're jealous of a barely over .500 season and missing the playoffs even the Sox might be able to satisfy you pretty easily.  You can speculate about the future of any team -- hell, people were penciling the Sox into future WS two seasons ago -- but these Cubs haven't done anything yet that's impressive. 

Not satisfied but conditioned.  Sox choke jobs are in August and not the last week. 

• 2 weeks later...

1999 Cub Dan Serafini arrested for the 2021 murder of his father in law and attempted murder of his mother in law.

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/crime/2023/10/20/couple-arrested-in-2021-lake-tahoe-murder-serafini-is-a-former-mlb-pitcher/71260105007/

image.jpeg

71260136007-placer-co-arrest.jpg

Edited by South Side Hit Men

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2023 at 12:56 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

If you must watch the NFL, there are up to 31 better alternatives than rooting for the adult species of cubs.

Family and other old timers I knew over the years hated Halas and the Bears, especially after the Cardinals were forced to move to Saint Louis. They tried moving to Evanston, but Halas blocked that just as Halas, Marshall and Mara banned black players after the success of Cardinals star Duke Slater.

Proud to have been a Steelers and Packers fan in the 1970s - 1990s before I stopped following the sport.

#NeverBears

That Halas story was very informative.  I wouldn't call the author unbiased, but if the shoe fits...

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/mlb/shohei-ohtani-to-the-cubs-why-ben-verlander-believes-it-could-happen

Not to mention another high-profile Japanese teammate already seemingly comfortable there...of course, conversely, Fukudome wasn't so warmly greeted due to his various issues adjusting to MLB ball.

Edited by caulfield12