Cubs Thread 2023

Buehrle>Wood

On 8/7/2023 at 6:00 PM, Texsox said:

I've tried through the years to cheer for the Cubs but never really stuck. But I'm so fed up with the Sox a new favorite team is possible. 

Texas? Houston? Chicago? They each make sense. 

Only JR can create a fanbase where fans will watch the other side.  Cubs are a good team to watch only because they exceeded 2023 expectations.   If anything it makes the Cub haters jealous.

I've been watching the Marlins and Dodgers.   Once i finalize mt divorce from the Sox, it will be a West Coast team.  The Dodgers/Sox facility is down the street.  I don't have the overpriced cable package to watch the DBacks and they are blocked on MLB.

On 8/3/2023 at 9:20 PM, Chisoxfn said:

Im not going to lie - I would gladly acquire him for 2B. 

The Cubs are trying the get that Sox stink off of him.  His baseball stupid is still there,  His base running helped them lose.   I get the feeling in a season or two he will not remain in that organization,  Cubs are into developing players not fixing bad ones.

2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Only JR can create a fanbase where fans will watch the other side.  Cubs are a good team to watch only because they exceeded 2023 expectations.   If anything it makes the Cub haters jealous.

I've been watching the Marlins and Dodgers.   Once i finalize mt divorce from the Sox, it will be a West Coast team.  The Dodgers/Sox facility is down the street.  I don't have the overpriced cable package to watch the DBacks and they are blocked on MLB.

I have family and friends with Astros season tickets but the Rangers, and their history of futility, seem to draw me in. 

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

Still gotta be a favorite to get in with that schedule.

Getting to play at Milwaukee will be a whole other thing as I am sure cub fans gobbled up tickets there.  I know I would have if I was a cub fan.  I can see that series being a pick'em.  Brewers cannot hit and the roof removes foul weather.

Brewers also likely won’t have anything to play for 

9 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Brewers would certainly be playing for cubs to not make it.  The place will be more cub fans in round one.  Cubs offense can beat anyone and is clearly the best of the four options.  Cubs pitching isn't much but Steele gets them a game.

Management likely rests players though. 

On 9/18/2023 at 11:12 AM, Harry Chappas said:

Brewers would certainly be playing for cubs to not make it.  The place will be more cub fans in round one.  Cubs offense can beat anyone and is clearly the best of the four options.  Cubs pitching isn't much but Steele gets them a game.

Steele tonight: 3.0 IP, 6 ER

last outing: 6.0 IP, 6 ER

the entire team is collapsing. but if they do manage to manage to make the playoffs, their offense can beat anybody 

You'd think the schedule favors them. They play the Rockies this weekend and then the Braves and Brewers next week, who will have nothing to play for and will probably want to setup their playoff rotations (especially the Brewers). 

Miami has the Brewers, Mets, and Pirates left. Brewers' magic # is 1 now I believe, so they may lay down if the Cubs lose one game this weekend. 

Reds have the Pirates, Guardians, and Cardinals. 

Padres have Cardinals, Giants, and Sox, but they're 4 back with 9 to play, so they basically have to go undefeated. 

Edited by chw42

8 hours ago, chw42 said:

You'd think the schedule favors them. They play the Rockies this weekend and then the Braves and Brewers next week, who will have nothing to play for and will probably want to setup their playoff rotations (especially the Brewers). 

Miami has the Brewers, Mets, and Pirates left. Brewers' magic # is 1 now I believe, so they may lay down if the Cubs lose one game this weekend. 

Padres have Cardinals, Giants, and Sox, but they're 4 back with 9 to play, so they basically have to go undefeated. 

I know the Brewers need to set up the rotation for the playoffs but I still think it's as important to knock the cubs out.  That place will be 70% cub fans which my or may not be important.  The cubs offense is better then the Brewers and in short series can outperform the them rather easily.

Brewers pitching is stacked as it has been previously and has not worked out in playoffs. 

10 hours ago, chw42 said:

Schedule has favored the Cubs so far and they're playing like garbage.

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

That's a pretty classless thing to say about the Pirates.  Pretty big dick move from a  team that lost 2 of 3 to the Rockies and 3 of 4 to AZ as well.  

Yea he immediately knew it too, tried to clean it up but that’s already out

11 hours ago, chw42 said:

With no game 163 anymore, Miami has the tiebreaker over the Cubs so I would think Miami has the advantage looking at those schedules. Reds could also go on a crazy streak like they have earlier in the season.