Eloy to IL, low grade hamstring strain - retroactive to 4/4

raBBit

Wow Eloy out 2-3 weeks. As far as I'm concerned I've written him off. Obviously the Sox either have horrific trainers or the guy just can't stay healthy with his body type.

He's not going to magically escape hammy problems in the future. He just isn't so I've written him off mentally. We'll get him for 4-5 game stretches or 1-2 week stretches maybe but the poor guy is brittle. Or we have awful trainers/body experts getting him to sculpt his body to say 210 pounds instead of 240?

Burger has potential to be a decent DH me thinks.

Edited by greg775

13 hours ago, fathom said:

I’ve always wondered if his batting stance could be putting extra stress on muscles in his left hamstring.  It’s such an unnatural pose he does.

Didn't he have a slight calf problem in the spring ? I think that stance will screw with his calf but it could go higher up I suppose.

E

14 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Didn't he have a slight calf problem in the spring ? I think that stance will screw with his calf but it could go higher up I suppose.

he may have IDK, but he was busting his ass down the first base line a couple games ago. Maybe the Sox should give him the exclusive TLR exception to hustle 

Edited by Chick Mercedes

5 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

E

he may have IDK, but he was busting his ass down the first base line a couple games ago. Maybe the Sox should give him the exclusion TLR exception to hustle 

He is eventually going to need to run hard. Might as well get him to rekab now and maybe they can figure something out with his legs. 

Is this the same side as his hamstring surgery last year? If so it could be a chronic problem and that's why they are being really cautious. 

56 minutes ago, ptatc said:

He is eventually going to need to run hard. Might as well get him to rekab now and maybe they can figure something out with his legs. 

Is this the same side as his hamstring surgery last year? If so it could be a chronic problem and that's why they are being really cautious. 

No, different leg. 

58 minutes ago, ptatc said:

No it is his left leg according to the story in the Sun-Times.

As fans it's frustrating that our best players seem to be our most injured players

But imagine it from the players side. We can think Eloy isn't doing everything he can to prevent injuries but maybe he is. Maybe he is stretching and running and staying loose during games. Some people just break down easier than others. You can't compare him to Abreu because they don't have the same genes. He's supposed to be the best hitter on a team that's supposed to be good. It has to be eating him up inside that he can't stay healthy  and be as great as he can be and earn a lot more money.

Brandon Woodruff pulled a hammy stretching before his MLB Debut.There he was doing what he's supposed to be doing to stay loose and healthy and doing the right thing hurt him. Maybe he was doing the right thing the wrong way. However what he did that hurt him may not hurt 99% of the other players. You just never know.

It blows to have guys who were supposed to be our best players always hurt but there's not a helluva lot we can do about it.

Eloy tried to get in good shape for the season. He lost 25 lbs. I'm sure his regiment included diet , exercise, stretching, weights, sleep  etc. He played well last year after he came back. Luckily this time is shorter and maybe he can come back guns blazing.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Eloy tried to get in good shape for the season. He lost 25 lbs. I'm sure his regiment included diet , exercise, stretching, weights, sleep  etc. He played well last year after he came back. Luckily this time is shorter and maybe he can come back guns blazing.

If he really lost 25 pounds then I do commend him. With all the money invested in baseball, you'd think the Sox or Eloy himself would spend some time with THE BEST trainers in sports to figure this out. Is there any hope for a guy that big n tall to avoid these type injuries? If there is ... pay the expert and get him expert advice/training. From.The.Best. Hopefully the Sox have done this.

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

As fans it's frustrating that our best players seem to be our most injured players

But imagine it from the players side. We can think Eloy isn't doing everything he can to prevent injuries but maybe he is. Maybe he is stretching and running and staying loose during games. Some people just break down easier than others. You can't compare him to Abreu because they don't have the same genes. He's supposed to be the best hitter on a team that's supposed to be good. It has to be eating him up inside that he can't stay healthy  and be as great as he can be and earn a lot more money.

Brandon Woodruff pulled a hammy stretching before his MLB Debut.There he was doing what he's supposed to be doing to stay loose and healthy and doing the right thing hurt him. Maybe he was doing the right thing the wrong way. However what he did that hurt him may not hurt 99% of the other players. You just never know.

It blows to have guys who were supposed to be our best players always hurt but there's not a helluva lot we can do about it.

I believe working out increases the risk of strained muscles.